Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

Zola rested him (he often does for midweek games which is quite smart/responsible, doesn't want to burn Chalobah out), but Watford found themselves 1-0 down HT.

Chalobah comes on at the beginning of the second half, and Watford win 2-1..

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIRoh62wRgkc&ei=V-k2UdnKNM6rPLimgYAG&usg=AFQjCNGMfkhO34AKT1xDTYSJB-aSsZPWgw&sig2=0_i1tKosrfxrjl9kS9pzGw

Finally got to watch a few videos of him... Seems to be a natural footballer, not that similar in characteristics to Lampard IMO. More of a Pivot type--reminds me of Spurs' Dembele in the way he touches and moves.

Should be ready as a squad player-could be using him right now I reckon.

Finally got to watch a few videos of him... Seems to be a natural footballer, not that similar in characteristics to Lampard IMO. More of a Pivot type--reminds me of Spurs' Dembele in the way he touches and moves.

Should be ready as a squad player-could be using him right now I reckon.

Agree. I think he's exceeded all expectations and I'd include him in the squad this summer and give him a fair shot at fighting for a first team spot.

Agree. I think he's exceeded all expectations and I'd include him in the squad this summer and give him a fair shot at fighting for a first team spot.

Concurred i believe the way he is progressing i wont be surprised if he becomes a very important asset to our team sooner rather then later.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought he was fantastic last night and the standout midfielder in a team that had Shelvey and Henderson in it. His reading of the game is just miles ahead of other players and he moved the ball around beautifully.

I just want to see this kid thrown in the first-team ahead of Mikel because he seems to step up to every challenge thrown at him. Not for the first time this season, everything just looked easy for him.

I have been thinking for some time about the future of Chelsea's midfield.

It is obvious that Chelsea have some problems with the defensive part of it, as the attacking part is overcrowded as it is. People have suggested the likes of De Rossi, KDB, Oscar, Fellaini etc but personally I think that this tactical problem have a quite simple and not too expensive solution.

Back when we played 4-3-3 I used to think that we had a astonishing trio behind the attackers in Lampard, Essien and Makelele. They fitted each other perfectly with their playing styles and skills, and it is no coincident that we did so well back then. I think the way to go is to try and emulate that.

Obviously no player is the same, and it would need some modifications depending on what player would be in what role, but it should be possible.

The Lampard role would fit Oscar nicely, he has shown that he has more than enough quality to do well there. KDB could also play there. The more difficult roles to fill are those of Essien and Makelele. Mikel comes to mind for Makelele of course as he has been playing a similar role, in theory, for quite a while. I personally do not rate him however and I think that we lack a natural successor in the team today.

My first choice for this position would be Capoue. I know that he has attracted a difference in opinions, but I think that he is perfect for that role. Calm passing, strong body and is at his best under pressure. I know I would feel relaxed with him at the back. He is also at the perfect age with his best years just ahead of him. Decent price aswell.

So this leaves the Essien role, in which I can see Chalobah. He still has a lot to do before he is ready, but he has shown the capacity to be able to be a good fit. He too plays well under pressure, is strong and often makes the right decisions. The difference is that he also has offensive qualities, such as being a explosive player, intelligent passing and a good mix of anticipation and movement.

I would like to see him play regularly in the PL for a whole season first though before a possible move back to Chelsea. He would also have to to well during that season of course. It is even possible that he would need more than that, it is always hard to say with youngsters. The point is that I believe him to be our successor to Essien.

I would like to see him play regularly in the PL for a whole season first though before a possible move back to Chelsea. He would also have to to well during that season of course.

This I agree with. I'd rather have Nat get regular minutes at a PL squad next season than him being a squad player.

I have been thinking for some time about the future of Chelsea's midfield.

It is obvious that Chelsea have some problems with the defensive part of it, as the attacking part is overcrowded as it is. People have suggested the likes of De Rossi, KDB, Oscar, Fellaini etc but personally I think that this tactical problem have a quite simple and not too expensive solution.

Back when we played 4-3-3 I used to think that we had a astonishing trio behind the attackers in Lampard, Essien and Makelele. They fitted each other perfectly with their playing styles and skills, and it is no coincident that we did so well back then. I think the way to go is to try and emulate that.

Obviously no player is the same, and it would need some modifications depending on what player would be in what role, but it should be possible.

The Lampard role would fit Oscar nicely, he has shown that he has more than enough quality to do well there. KDB could also play there. The more difficult roles to fill are those of Essien and Makelele. Mikel comes to mind for Makelele of course as he has been playing a similar role, in theory, for quite a while. I personally do not rate him however and I think that we lack a natural successor in the team today.

My first choice for this position would be Capoue. I know that he has attracted a difference in opinions, but I think that he is perfect for that role. Calm passing, strong body and is at his best under pressure. I know I would feel relaxed with him at the back. He is also at the perfect age with his best years just ahead of him. Decent price aswell.

So this leaves the Essien role, in which I can see Chalobah. He still has a lot to do before he is ready, but he has shown the capacity to be able to be a good fit. He too plays well under pressure, is strong and often makes the right decisions. The difference is that he also has offensive qualities, such as being a explosive player, intelligent passing and a good mix of anticipation and movement.

I would like to see him play regularly in the PL for a whole season first though before a possible move back to Chelsea. He would also have to to well during that season of course. It is even possible that he would need more than that, it is always hard to say with youngsters. The point is that I believe him to be our successor to Essien.

What does he have to do exactly?

I hear a lot of people say we should go for Capoue, but don't you think he'd need a season in the Premier League first? Maybe a loan to West Brom to prove he's up to the standard we need?

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

Watford will hopefully be promoted come end of the season. Zola likes the fellow so he is probably guaranteed to get starts in Premier League.

That is of course of only if his loan is extended.

Was going to post that then realised you done it for me ;) Quality read and very re-assuring. Just piss off Arsenal.

What does he have to do exactly?

I hear a lot of people say we should go for Capoue, but don't you think he'd need a season in the Premier League first? Maybe a loan to West Brom to prove he's up to the standard we need?

There is quite a difference between them.

Chalobah is playing his first season on a senior level and while he has done an excellent job it is far to early to say whether he is ready to return to Chelsea. He needs to pick up some more experience and playing time in general, something I doubt he would get in the team right now.

Personally I would not mind if he picked up a bit more muscle aswell, it would definetly not hurt in his position.

I am not sure why you say that Capoue should be loaned out. I realize that you are trying to make a point but it appears quite silly when you consider the circumstances. Capoue will soon be 25 and has 161 first-team appearances for Toulouse, and he has been excellent there for quite some time. He is one of the best players on his position in Ligue1. He has also picked up 5 national caps for France (and 30 on a youth level).

Chalobah is a rough diamond that needs to be polished by playing time, self-confidence and a being pulled in the right direction by someone who is adept at developing youth. Capoue is no longer a talent, he is a finished product that is ready for the next step, it is not him applying to join our first team but our team applying for him.

A couple of things stood out in that Blog ... He reads the game well

but more important ,,,He always seems to have plenty of tie , As the Blogger said it is truly a mark of supreme class that some players

in a variety of sports seem to have more time than others to make their passes ,,choose their shots or just wrongfoot opponents.

Zola and Ballack are perfect examples of players never hurried ,,If Nat really has these qualities he is assured of a great career

barring injuries . Incidentally these type of players seem to get less injuries

There is quite a difference between them.

Chalobah is playing his first season on a senior level and while he has done an excellent job it is far to early to say whether he is ready to return to Chelsea. He needs to pick up some more experience and playing time in general, something I doubt he would get in the team right now.

Personally I would not mind if he picked up a bit more muscle aswell, it would definetly not hurt in his position.

I am not sure why you say that Capoue should be loaned out. I realize that you are trying to make a point but it appears quite silly when you consider the circumstances. Capoue will soon be 25 and has 161 first-team appearances for Toulouse, and he has been excellent there for quite some time. He is one of the best players on his position in Ligue1. He has also picked up 5 national caps for France (and 30 on a youth level).

Chalobah is a rough diamond that needs to be polished by playing time, self-confidence and a being pulled in the right direction by someone who is adept at developing youth. Capoue is no longer a talent, he is a finished product that is ready for the next step, it is not him applying to join our first team but our team applying for him.

What I said about Capoue was half in jest, but he's still completely new to the Premier League and has absolutely no Champions League experience. Fair enough he's picked up 5 caps for France, but that's 2 less than Sissoko who went to Newcastle and is a year younger. He's also been dropped from the latest French squad because Deschamps said he hasn't been good enough.....for Toulouse!!

And who replaced him? Pogba - a player who I always thought Chalobah outplayed at youth level. Here's a kid who has been given a chance by Juventus (a pretty decent team I'm sure we'll all agree) and rewarded them, although until he's had a season on loan at Watford it's hard to be certain.

And who replaced him? Pogba - a player who I always thought Chalobah outplayed at youth level. Here's a kid who has been given a chance by Juventus (a pretty decent team I'm sure we'll all agree) and rewarded them, although until he's had a season on loan at Watford it's hard to be certain.

Yes thats my point as well we have to throw these kids in to the deep end and give them a chance or else they will never be good enough for us,loans can only take you so far.Bayern munich did not loan badstubber and muller to werder bremen for 2 years before giving them a chance in the first team,they trusted both of them gave them a chance in the 1st team immediately and now both badstubber and muller are german national team regulars as well as key players for bayern.