10. Mykhaylo Mudryk

ZAPHOD2319

Kalidou Koulibaly raves about 'outstanding' 22-year-old Chelsea player

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/player-quotes/kalidou-koulibaly-raves-about-outstanding-22-year-old-Chelsea-player/

Kalidou Koulibaly is full of credit for Chelsea teammate Mykhailo Mudryk.

Mudryk, who’s still finding his feet as a Chelsea player, joined from Shakhtar Donetsk in a high-profile transfer in January.

The 22-year-old left-winger is yet to score or assist in his opening six Blues appearances, but he’s playing in a Graham Potter side that are finding goals very hard to come by.

Centre-back Koulibaly, 31, remains very confident in Mudryk’s individual talent, though.

“As for Mudryk he’s very quick, technically on a one v one he’s outstanding and can be a big help for us. But he is a player who needs the ball to make the difference and our job is to get it to him,” Koulibaly told The Sun.

“Every player joining Chelsea needs time to adapt and Mudryk is no different.”

Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea - Premier League

The opportunity is there for any of Chelsea’s attackers to step into the role of the side’s talisman. At this point, a goal or two will do the trick.

There’s been a glimpse so far during Mudryk’s brief time at Stamford Bridge of what an exciting signing he could be.

He’s an out-and-out wide player with rapid pace and superb dribbling, which is a combination that full-backs hate.

The Ukraine international scored 10 goals in 18 games during the first half of the season for Shakhtar Donetsk, so hopefully it’s just a matter of time before he finds some form in Chelsea colours.

Graham Potter hasn’t quite settled yet on his preferred starters in the wide areas.

Mudryk is competing alongside Raheem Sterling, Noni Madueke and Hakim Ziyech for just two starting roles each game.

The pace and directness of Mudryk is something we’d much prefer to see this Saturday against Leeds United.

Borussia Dortmund v Chelsea FC: Round of 16 Leg One - UEFA Champions League

Edited by Vesper

22 minutes ago, DDA said:

Sulking he joined us instead of Arsenal... get over it lad... start performing and get at it.... this club will win mor trophies... it's what we do.

Still not sure why we actually got him in January...he was always going to be under-done fitness wise without a proper pre-season and let's not even mention the fact that he was twerking for them on social media game after game. 

Cucurella & him may go down as the worst signings we made in a few seasons time (alongside Lukaku). 

I think we just need to give Mudryk time and patience which isn't always easy when the team as a whole is struggling.

He doesn't just need to (1) gain fitness bearing in mind the league in Ukraine was on it's break when we signed him, and (2) adjust to the intensity of the league but we as a club ourselves must adapt to a player of his skillset too. We need to make the most of his pace by getting the ball to him much quicker and giving him one on one chances. Our most success today was playing more direct and getting the ball forward quicker by switching play to the channels. Chilwell clearly benefited from this but that also offers opportunities for Mudryk to come off the wing and make runs inside behind the defence. If he gets a run, he's not being caught.

It's limited time so far but there have been a couple of instances where he's made some very good passes in the offensive third which even watching on the TV didn't look on. I don't doubt his technical ability, I just think he'll take some time to fulfil his potential. He'll benefit enormously for next season in my opinion off the back of these 6 months.

2 hours ago, Superblue said:

I think we just need to give Mudryk time and patience which isn't always easy when the team as a whole is struggling.

He doesn't just need to (1) gain fitness bearing in mind the league in Ukraine was on it's break when we signed him, and (2) adjust to the intensity of the league but we as a club ourselves must adapt to a player of his skillset too. We need to make the most of his pace by getting the ball to him much quicker and giving him one on one chances. Our most success today was playing more direct and getting the ball forward quicker by switching play to the channels. Chilwell clearly benefited from this but that also offers opportunities for Mudryk to come off the wing and make runs inside behind the defence. If he gets a run, he's not being caught.

It's limited time so far but there have been a couple of instances where he's made some very good passes in the offensive third which even watching on the TV didn't look on. I don't doubt his technical ability, I just think he'll take some time to fulfil his potential. He'll benefit enormously for next season in my opinion off the back of these 6 months.

Considering both of your points, it makes zero sense as to why we signed him in January.  What we needed was someone to lift the attack immediately, not another project that will take 6+ months to get used to the league. 

He is not playing because since after that brief cameo v Liverpool, whenever he’s played, he has been useless. Not rocket science. I’d be intrigued to know how many times he’s lost possession since that game because he has shown a huge tendency of running into players with the ball. Shame because there is a good player in there - although never an £80m one.

Edited by OneMoSalah

9 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Considering both of your points, it makes zero sense as to why we signed him in January.  What we needed was someone to lift the attack immediately, not another project that will take 6+ months to get used to the league. 

Or do we buy what the club considered to be a premium young talent and give them time to develop and blossom, or just another quick fix signing to plug gaps?

I actually think this year was the right time to do this considering getting top 4 was a reach at best when we were in January.

Mudryk, Madueke, Enzo and Badiashile will all be better next season for this half season that they are here now.

3 hours ago, Superblue said:

Or do we buy what the club considered to be a premium young talent and give them time to develop and blossom, or just another quick fix signing to plug gaps?

I actually think this year was the right time to do this considering getting top 4 was a reach at best when we were in January.

Mudryk, Madueke, Enzo and Badiashile will all be better next season for this half season that they are here now.

Bar 15 mins v Liverpool, Mudryk has flattered to deceive every chance he’s had. His price tag certainly hasn’t helped him at all. Because people will expect more from him for 80m.

9 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

He is not playing because since after that brief cameo v Liverpool, whenever he’s played, he has been useless. Not rocket science. I’d be intrigued to know how many times he’s lost possession since that game because he has shown a huge tendency of running into players with the ball. Shame because there is a good player in there - although never an £80m one.

Against Liverpool, we played a team that offered a lot of space behind their back line. 

We could easily play passes for Mudryk to exploit during that game.

Against most PL teams, we lack the quick thinking player that has vision and can execute a pass. That coupled with whatever style Potter is trying to implement, has crippled the player.

Edited by Blue Armour

5 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Against Liverpool, we played a team that offered a lot of space behind their back line. 

We could easily play passes for Mudryk to exploit during that game.

Against most PL teams, we lack the quick thinking player that has vision and can execute a pass. That coupled with whatever style Potter is trying to implement, has crippled the player.

But he was also very poor against Dortmund no? Who pressed us high and had space in behind their backline? The amount of times he didn’t beat his man and lost the ball was frightening. And rightfully again, he was taken off. Ok maybe there was one or two moments where he did something that wasn’t too bad but he’s not done anywhere near enough and you cannot live off 15-20 mins v Liverpool.

Edited by OneMoSalah

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

But he was also very poor against Dortmund no? Who pressed us high and had space in behind their backline? The amount of times he didn’t beat his man and lost the ball was frightening. And rightfully again, he was taken off. Ok maybe there was one or two moments where he did something that wasn’t too bad but he’s not done anywhere near enough and you cannot live off 15-20 mins v Liverpool.

Not absolving him of any blame., - I'm just saying that he's also let down by Potters system.

Also, it's a bit weird. After the good cameo against Liverpool, Potter made him start several matches back to back, despite saying he needs to brought up to speed gradually, because he hasn't played in a while.

Now that he's flopped, Potter has relegated him to the bench. Just like he did with Fofana.

It brings me back to a comment I made earlier. Potter just throws shit at the wall to see what sticks. 

4 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Not absolving him of any blame., - I'm just saying that he's also let down by Potters system.

Also, it's a bit weird. After the good cameo against Liverpool, Potter made him start several matches back to back, despite saying he needs to brought up to speed gradually, because he hasn't played in a while.

Now that he's flopped, Potter has relegated him to the bench. Just like he did with Fofana.

It brings me back to a comment I made earlier. Potter just throws shit at the wall to see what sticks. 

Could you imagine the press if Potter decided not to give Mudryk minutes after splashing 70+ million on him?   He'd be killed the next day. 

At least now there is a reason as to why he's not playing, it's because he's nowhere near good enough (yet) and looks well off the pace.   

Will go back to my previous comments on Mudryk, you don't sign a player who isn't ready to play significant minutes for 70 million in January, it's just bad business.   Go look at Liverpool, they needed someone to top up their attack, they go and get Gakpo for 30-ish million, already has 4 goals to his name and looks like a proper finisher. 

19 hours ago, Superblue said:

Badiashile, Enzo have been good for the most part since joining Chelsea (was actually sort of shocked that we went after Wes Fofana in the previous window instead of Badiashile considering Fofana was coming off a pretty bad injury for a young defender).  Madueke and Mudryk made less sense as January signings as they won't massively impact the first team for a while.   Even the PSV coach said that he hoped to keep Madueke for his development but when Chelsea came along and doubled his value, he had no choice but to accept the deal.

He lacks in fitness and has to adapt to a new league in a team that's struggling. No wonder he's been underperforming. 

I am sure that, as soon as we start playing better as a unit and he gets in better shape, he will come good. 

5 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Could you imagine the press if Potter decided not to give Mudryk minutes after splashing 70+ million on him?   He'd be killed the next day. 

At least now there is a reason as to why he's not playing, it's because he's nowhere near good enough (yet) and looks well off the pace.   

Will go back to my previous comments on Mudryk, you don't sign a player who isn't ready to play significant minutes for 70 million in January, it's just bad business.   Go look at Liverpool, they needed someone to top up their attack, they go and get Gakpo for 30-ish million, already has 4 goals to his name and looks like a proper finisher. 

Surely a piss take? 

Gakpo looked all of ass before Liverpool found its feet and now all of a sudden he is amazing. He was sucking it up hard before that. Same thing for Mudryk. If you can't see he is talented, that is on you. As soon as we get a decent manager or tactics down pat, he will come good. Kid is uber talented and not being used correctly. 

9 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Badiashile, Enzo have been good for the most part since joining Chelsea (was actually sort of shocked that we went after Wes Fofana in the previous window instead of Badiashile considering Fofana was coming off a pretty bad injury for a young defender).  Madueke and Mudryk made less sense as January signings as they won't massively impact the first team for a while.   Even the PSV coach said that he hoped to keep Madueke for his development but when Chelsea came along and doubled his value, he had no choice but to accept the deal.

This! ^^^ 
It's often ignored on this forum, which is a point I try to reiterate: Chelsea is an elite club! The numbers alone make that abundantly clear.

1. A player who does well in a lesser league/competition is not guaranteed to succeed here
  2. A younger player, who still has to hone his skills, may not have the necessary time to do so at Chelsea

It's a huge step up! And very competitive because every player wants to join an elite club... it's the "he made it" for a footballer. This also applies to the manager, but that belongs in a different thread.

Regarding Mudryk, jury is still out whether he's going to make it here or not. So far, his play looks fairly unpolished for this level.

Edited by robsblubot

15 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I'd prefer it if the manager knew what he was doing, rather than react to what the press thinks.

If the reason he's now not playing is because Potter made him look like shit, then that's a bad precedent. Is he going to shoehorn other players into his system and destroy their confidence and form, only to shrug afterwards and say, 'hey, I tried!' ? 

It suppose it's justified if all other aspects of his system were working fine, but his team is a mess at the moment., and can't do much right.