10. Mykhaylo Mudryk

ZAPHOD2319

• 4 weeks later...

So it will soon be coming up to the 1 year anniversary of signing this guy.  

Apparently, he has been “frustrated” by the lack of top quality service he’s getting here? Or so an ex team mate from Shakhtar has suggested in the media.

Ironic because I think most of us have been frustrated watching him run the ball into a area with 3 or 4 opposition players or fuck up easy chances.

If we get any offers for him and Noni in January - just sell. Cut our losses. Jesus if he wasn’t on an 8 year contract or whatever, would say just rip his deal up.

Find it weird people are criticizing him now. He started doing good. First goal against Fulham, got replaced at HT and benched next game. After that first goal for Ukraine and against Arsenal another one and got injured.

Missing a couple of games and only cameos since than... Been said before he needs to start game after game no matter what and this proved right because he was gaining momentum but unfortunate set backs since then.

It is hard for Poch to do this now because Sterling raised his form.

Edited by NikkiCFC

26 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Find it weird people are criticizing him now. He started doing good. First goal against Fulham, got replaced at HT and benched next game. After that first goal for Ukraine and against Arsenal another one and got injured.

Missing a couple of games and only cameos since than... Been said before he needs to start game after game no matter what and this proved right because he was gaining momentum but unfortunate set backs since then.

It is hard for Poch to do this now because Sterling raised his form.

Started doing good?

He scored 1 goal but his performances before and after were hardly good. And he was rightfully subbed off at HT after the Fulham game. Then he scored what was definitely a cross against Arsenal.

Not sure where the good performances have been. 

He has had made around 30 appearances for us and has rarely convinced, how much more leeway/chances does he get? I don’t see people saying the same for Noni but that’s because he didn’t cost £80 odd million.

Lets just face it, he isn’t good enough. We got taken for a ride. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

15 hours ago, Dan Lee said:

Many people in this forum wanted to kick Pulisic out and was happy with buying this guy. They said that it is an upgrade! 

I didn't see anyone happy we got this guy, most just wanted us to hijack Arsenal and brag about it. Guy is average at best.

Won the penalty, had a close chance turning from the middle of the field, won the corners for the goals, had a dangerous cross into the middle where Jackson was slightly out of position, and had another blasted low cross that was almost finished. 

He isn't carrying the ball like we might have expected, but his moments are generally big moments in games, and that wasn't the case before. I just wish he was more involved - but maybe that comes later in his career? At the moment he is the guy that creates moments of brilliance rather than being involved in the game constantly like Sterling. 

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

Won the penalty, had a close chance turning from the middle of the field, won the corners for the goals, had a dangerous cross into the middle where Jackson was slightly out of position, and had another blasted low cross that was almost finished. 

He isn't carrying the ball like we might have expected, but his moments are generally big moments in games, and that wasn't the case before. I just wish he was more involved - but maybe that comes later in his career? At the moment he is the guy that creates moments of brilliance rather than being involved in the game constantly like Sterling. 

I think Sterling is our guy the person who we play through at the moment.. that’s who Mudryk was at his previous club but the level is different. As long as he continues to impact games in the way he did at the weekend, I’ll be excited at the prospect of his growth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2023 at 12:32, King Kante said:

He played well against Brighton in the spurts he had. However, he has got to look to get involved more and not be so passive off the ball. Still a major development project atm. 

Agreed here, steadily, at a snails pace, improving but my God he is the meaning of a development project, as you say. All the ability, just hasn't got the smarts right now.

6 hours ago, DH1988 said:

Agreed here, steadily, at a snails pace, improving but my God he is the meaning of a development project, as you say. All the ability, just hasn't got the smarts right now.

Honestly, I don't see all that ability. I see a very pacy player, w/ great acceleration, who can dribble long and that's about all I see tbh. That's enough to make a good player if he does develop as it's been discussed.

For a WC player you need that tight control of the football in tight spaces, and I certainly don't see that in his game. At times he shows too much of the football when making runs and loses possession. Other times, his first touch isn't good enough and he loses possession. The defensive side of his game is non-existent, which IMO is one of the reasons we see more defensive backlines from Poch.

So, improving as a player will help him make better use of his assets (esp pace), releasing the ball more quickly and knowing when not to go for the run. As mentioned before, he need to participate more and not switch off so often. He's definitely improving, albeit slowly like you said, so that's encouraging.

Right now, with all players available, he should be no more than an impact sub to hit the opposition with pace esp when the opposition is providing counter attacking opportunities. Yes, he'd be an important player for a smaller club, but we ain't that--despite the weak roster.

Edited by robsblubot

4 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Honestly, I don't see all that ability. I see a very pacy player, w/ great acceleration, who can dribble long and that's about all I see tbh. That's enough to make a good player if he does develop as it's been discussed.

For a WC player you need that tight control of the football in tight spaces, and I certainly don't see that in his game. At times he shows too much of the football when making runs and loses possession. Other times, his first touch isn't good enough and he loses possession. The defensive side of his game is non-existent, which IMO is one of the reasons we see more defensive backlines from Poch.

So, improving as a player will help him make better use of his assets (esp pace), releasing the ball more quickly and knowing when not to go for the run. As mentioned before, he need to participate more and not switch off so often. He's definitely improving, albeit slowly like you said, so that's encouraging.

Right now, with all players available, he should be no more than an impact sub to hit the opposition with pace esp when the opposition is providing counter attacking opportunities. Yes, he'd be an important player for a smaller club, but we ain't that--despite the weak roster.

Poch was using ultra defensive back lines before Mudryk was getting proper minutes. 

His defensive work rate sucks. Sure. But his tight dribbling is fine. Bit of confidence issues to go along with it, but you can’t tell me you were popping Salah to be world class based on his close control while he was here. I’d argue it’s iffy even now lol. 

His game sense sucks. He comes from a league where he rarely played with his back to goal. Now it’s 80 percent of the way he receives the ball. He gets bullied and pushed out of the spaces he’s good in. 

There is a reason he looked good in the first game against Liverpool and tapered off. 

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Poch was using ultra defensive back lines before Mudryk was getting proper minutes. 

His defensive work rate sucks. Sure. But his tight dribbling is fine. Bit of confidence issues to go along with it, but you can’t tell me you were popping Salah to be world class based on his close control while he was here. I’d argue it’s iffy even now lol. 

His game sense sucks. He comes from a league where he rarely played with his back to goal. Now it’s 80 percent of the way he receives the ball. He gets bullied and pushed out of the spaces he’s good in. 

There is a reason he looked good in the first game against Liverpool and tapered off. 

Fair enough, but once again it's a completely new squad--also something some of us warned about early on. It's only natural for a manager to try to secure the defense first. That (tired) Newcastle side we beat is what 2+ seasons playing together w/ few changes?

Disagree there: tight control between Mudryk and Salah is worlds apart. When I see the ball bounce off Salah's shins when he makes tight cuts and he ends up with the ball at the end, that's control... not luck. It's luck if it happens rarely, but it happens consistently with him. He also routinely makes quick change of directions while in control of the football (like Eden did) whereas Mudryk mostly runs in a straight line. Anyway that's what I see.

I can dig up that post where I actually comment on Salah's tight control while a Chelsea player--recently (like early season) reposted it in the Chelsea transfer thread. 😃

Edited by robsblubot

• 1 month later...