Brighton 4-1 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

3 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Why City dumped Stirling ?
Was he somebody like Mbappe asking for trillions from the club ?

Sterling decided to leave for a starting place instead of being forced out. He probably could have happily played a similar role to Mahrez or Grealish. 

I'm not sure why that's relevant, though.

3 minutes ago, DDA said:

We won't make top 4 with these fuckers.. not this year. 

They couldn't give a fuck. 

Furious watching that utter wank.

Maybe we can go through one more round in the CL if we are drawn against some sheepsagging team like Lille last year but all the decent teams will thrash us.
In the league 9th or 11th.
Last year we lost Rudiger, Lukaku proved a flop then in the summer transfer window -free of the Abramovich problem so it's not an excuse- we shot ourselves in the leg.
Who was responsible ? Certainly it could n't be Boehly himself.
I might expect some desperate clubs with no money making such poor transfers but not Chelsea.

4 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Sterling decided to leave for a starting place instead of being forced out. He probably could have happily played a similar role to Mahrez or Grealish. 

I'm not sure why that's relevant, though.

It is because big clubs do not transfer list good players.
Except if it is a situation like those of Hazard, Rudiger.

1 minute ago, cosmicway said:

It is because big clubs do not transfer list good players.
Except if it is a situation like those of Hazard, Rudiger.

I was against the signing from the get-go, so you're preaching to the wrong person. 

4 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

i couldnt watch the game, why was Kepa subbed at HT? did he have a stinker? this is a humiliating loss.

Kepa can see those balls only on tv - he was n't to blame.
Neither Chalobah and RLC - the ball was going straight to Brighton players to tap it in.
Initially the back line was absent - they thought Brighton was not in the pitch. 
But throughout the game they had an easy time at the wings.

2 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Project as it may, this high wingback as wingers approach is on par with AVBs defensive high line. 

Shocking management. 

Ironically Brighton set up today in a 3-5-2 with two wingers. March and Trossard aren't wing backs either. 

If it's something that he wants to do there will be some serious teething problems, and I do think a defensive midfielder is needed for it to work properly. 

Let's be honest though, if he instead played Azpi and Chilwell, there'd still be people moaning that we're not offering enough offensively. There has to be a balance there, and it's something Potter is going to have to learn on the job, but he also needs a more balanced squad than he's inherited.

6 minutes ago, Superblue said:

Ironically Brighton set up today in a 3-5-2 with two wingers. March and Trossard aren't wing backs either. 

If it's something that he wants to do there will be some serious teething problems, and I do think a defensive midfielder is needed for it to work properly. 

Let's be honest though, if he instead played Azpi and Chilwell, there'd still be people moaning that we're not offering enough offensively. There has to be a balance there, and it's something Potter is going to have to learn on the job, but he also needs a more balanced squad than he's inherited.

But Potter isn’t doing himself any favors playing the same under performers on top of this defensively suicide tactic.  

14 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

I wouldn't really call it humiliating, Brighton are a good team, our problem isn't the manager it's the squad or midfield is laughable and our 2 new CBs have injury's and so does our RWB and our LWB is still recovering from his injury, any 2 can sit here and blame potter and even TT but the fact is TT had the chance to fix that midfield on the summer and didn't, now potter is paying that price. I understand why some of you are angry but this is Todd and potters first season after the dramatics of last season, u could change manager 5 times and it doesn't matter that midfield is not good enough 433 343 352 442 doesn't matter the midfield isn't good enough, I fear this season will be a long road for some of you, and the ones saying potter out, u really need to change your attitude because that sorta behaviour is the reason this club is fucked and has a squad of shite, you are all quick to bang on about Liverpool and man city, but quick to forget they where both projects, you guys won't even give projects a chance, you just expect miracles.

Completely agree, people unfortunately have become too used and comfortable to the club being able to perform miracles with short term fixes. Ironically, scraping the top 4 for the last 4 years, coupled with the Europa League and Champions League wins have masked significant deficiencies within this squad and just exacerbating the long-term problems we were eventually going to experience. More questions should have been asked as to why we've been unable to mount any sort of title challenge for half a decade. A top 4 finish shouldn't be primary aim at the start of a season, but that is where we've currently fallen to.

The midfield is definitely a hole in our team and has been for a long time now. It's the 4th year of dealing with Kante's injury problems - if you keep going to the well for water and there's none there, you shouldn't expect one day that it's miraculously full! Kante is 32 in a couple of months; we have to finally draw a line and look to the future. 

From what has been mentioned in the media, it does appear that midfield has been identified as THE position that needs working on next as a matter of priority and I do think now that will happen irrespective of how this season pans out. 

Ultimately, I'm also very much aware that whilst we're going through a poor patch of form currently, it's very possible we can turn things around suddenly and push back up the table. Everybody is gushing over Newcastle who just a few weeks ago were stuttering a bit and struggling to convert draws into wins. Arsenal jumped out the traps at the start of the season and in the last couple of weeks have started to show some vulnerability. Form and results will ebb and flow throughout the season. It's not looking promising now, but beating Arsenal and Newcastle isn't out of the question. That happens and we go into the break on a huge high compared to right now. 

19 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

But Potter isn’t doing himself any favors playing the same under performers on top of this defensively suicide tactic.  

It definitely didn't work today. Having said that, we looked significantly better offensively against Salzburg with a similar set up in comparison to recent games like United and Brentford where chances were created at a premium.

We're in a situation where the manager has come into a team that has changed a lot from the previous season (not just the new signings, but even bringing players like Broja and Gallagher back into the squad) so is still adapting itself to playing together, let alone adding a new manager to that dynamic and with the season having already started with pretty much a straight run of 3 games a week.

Even with the break, it will allow Potter and his staff time to breathe and analyse but ultimately most of our squad are playing in the World Cup (think we're set to have the most in the league) so we'll still have a situation where he won't have huge amounts of time to work with players during this period. 

I think patience is really needed in this situation.

The question mark now probably is what he does in mid-week. The obvious answer was to just rest players and play a 'skeleton' team, but a number of players are out of form. Do you give them the chance to play in midweek and play themselves into form? Players like Thiago Silva and Kovacic obviously can be rested but a number of the attacking players, Cucurella, etc really need to find some form and quickly.

1 hour ago, YorkshireBlue said:

you guys won't even give projects a chance, you just expect miracles.

So true. The alleged greatest Prem manager wouldnt get a look in now - would be sacked after his first 8 games. I am talking about Ferguson - won fuck all his first few seasons at Man Utd. 

Defeats away to Leeds and Brighton and heavy ones at that also lost to Southampton lucky against Villa average against Brentford and we have to go to WHL, Emirates, Anfield,, OT, Etihad and St James, West Ham can't see us getting many points on current form but who knows maybe the WC will work in our favour.