Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

1 minute ago, Blue Armour said:

Hard to be optimistic these days...

But I think this Potter Chelsea is really on an upward trajectory. And no, this isn't me saying this just because we got 3 points.

Even when we were failing to make the most of final third chances, we were really easy on the eye.

He needs to sort out the central midfield though. Jorginho is looking more slow and ponderous with each game. We're too soft in the middle.

And I take back my reactionary comment against Fofana. He really grew into the game after the first Palace goal.

Yeah thought Fofana played well.

If Auba fouled their defender on the halfway line, then I can't believe they didn't foul Silva. As always inconsistent refereeing.

Mount does need to be dropped for a while. 

I think Potter sees Jorgi letting players run past. I think that's why he subbed him for RLC - Jorgi was holding his stomach, probably winded himself running back...

One swallow doesn't make a summer (ooer), but we have to give him time. Look at Arteta - he would have been sacked 6 times over here - but now they have a decent team and lots of squad players who can drop straight in. They won't win it but will finish 2nd I think.

Need City to smash Utd tomorrow. 

City then Arsenal - so 2 places up for grabs...

We’ll take it. Great strike by Connor. I enjoyed the formation change for the most part. Sloppy mistakes early on but survived them in the end. 

Want to see more of Sterling and Pulisic together, at least they can drive at opponents and cause some havoc on the wing. Mount and Havertz deserve to be dropped. 

Somewhat better even if we had drawn the match, given that Palace played well.
Potter changed the system slightly to the better with the long balls (but Tuchel would have done the same I believe).
Fofana could have prevented the Palace goal and Tiago also made an uncharacteristic bad mistake (escaped).

26 minutes ago, Vesper said:

yes, I have consistently defended Mount for years up until a month or so ago, but he really is playing poorly

I'm genuinely concerned he may already be burning out.

Happened to Oscar and he didn't have close to the type of schedule Mount has had, he's basically been playing non stop since breaking through.

Fofana didn't have the balls to try to clear it, afraid of the OG. Hopefully he learns from that, expect better from a man who's already played a shit load of senior games. Interesting Koulibaly not featured at all yet. He was also shady for us in the games he played but at least Fofana is the man for the future so it makes sense to play him instead if Koulibaly isn't playing solid.

Gallagher+Auba+Pulisic first names on team sheet for now imo, but I'm not prepared to slam Mount (or Havertz!) his only real problem at the moment is he can't finish imo, but at least he has the guts to try over and over and tries to change the game. We need more shot attempts and the guts to try things and take risks and look stupid in front of goal - NOT less, so I won't vilify him even if it is frustrating for him and us.

After so long without a 'proper' striker or someone who would score from distance both goals today left me shocked and with a big ass grin on my face. Feels good to see us becoming something resembling a proper team again. Actually have a lot of faith that this group can become something, especially when Kante comes back. Obviously we need an overhaul in CM given the ages there but the overall potential in this squad is pretty damn good imo. Excited for the future.

Chelsea manager Graham Potter has three issues to solve despite Crystal Palace win

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1676973/Chelsea-Crystal-Palace-Graham-Potter-Premier-League-football-news-Conor-Gallagher

Graham Potter

Chelsea claimed a dramatic victory against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Saturday afternoon as former Eagles loanee Conor Gallagher came off the bench to thump home a long-range winner in the 90th minute. The Blues had fallen behind after just seven minutes as Odsonne Edouard poked home Jordan Ayew’s tantalising cross for the home side. But they stayed in the contest and eventually drew level with seven minutes of the first half remaining as summer signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang swivelled in the area and thrashed the ball into the bottom corner. The west Londoners flattered to deceive after the break as the match looked destined to end in a stalemate. But Gallagher had other ideas as he unleashed a sublime strike into the net. And, despite the win, Chelsea manager Graham Potter now has three issues to solve.

Lack of cutting edge

Chelsea spent £272million to bring in eight new players in the summer. But, remarkably, they still lack a cutting edge in front of goal. The Blues’ result at Selhurst Park means they have now found the back of the net just 11 times in nine games since the start of the campaign.

Kai Havertz, who lined-up alongside Aubameyang up front in south London, has scored just one goal this season, while attacking midfielder Mason Mount is yet to find the back of the net. While Aubameyang registered his first strike for his new employers, he was ineffectual for much of the encounter.

And Raheem Sterling, who has scored four times in Chelsea colours, was kept quiet by the Palace defence. Chelsea were once a formidable attacking force. But they could struggle to even force their way into the top four over the coming weeks if they don’t find a way to create more chances soon.

Midfield pair not dominating

Potter named Jorginho alongside Mateo Kovacic in the centre of the pitch. But the midfield pair failed to dominate proceedings as they allowed the Eagles players to pass the ball around and create chances.

Jorginho was eventually hauled off in the early stages of the second period as another ex-Palace loanee Ruben Loftus-Cheek was introduced to the action. The Chelsea midfield did its job effectively during Thomas Tuchel’s tenure. And Potter, who is currently without N’Golo Kante, will need his central players to get a grip on games if his reign is to be a success.

What to do with Kalidou Koulibaly

Chelsea spent £33m to land 31-year-old centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli in the summer. But he hardly excelled during his six appearances under Tuchel and was sent off against Leeds in August.

Potter kept Koulibaly on the bench for his first match in charge when the Blues took on RB Salzburg in the Champions League last month. And the former Brighton manager overlooked the Senegal international once again at Selhurst Park as he opted for a centre-back partnership of Thiago Silva and Wesley Fofana.

It’s too early to cast judgement on whether Koulibaly can make an impact at Stamford Bridge. But Potter sees the defender in training on a daily basis and has decided to snub him. So unless he changes his mind, Koulibaly could already be a Chelsea flop. And that could signal that the west Londoners’ summer transfer business was not as wise as it may have been.

THE LATEST

Responding to a supporter who claimed that Edouard was lucky to still be on the pitch after fouling Kepa Arrizabalaga whilst on a yellow card, Parish expressed his dismay.

The Palace chairman felt that Jorginho was very lucky to avoid a caution earlier in the match, tweeting in reply: “You can’t be serious – Jorginho literally broke the world record of amount of fouls committed before getting a yellow.”

Do Parish’s claims stack up?

The statistics show that Jorginho only committed two fouls during his time on the pitch, but perhaps the Eagles chairman feels that there were certain challenges which ought to have been penalised by referee Chris Kavanagh but weren’t.

It’s possible that the 57-year-old let his frustration get the better of him after Palace lost the game in such gut-wrenching circumstances.

Edited by Vesper

Soo happy to get the 3 points... and most importantly we came back from 1-0 down. 

Mason Mount is a big problem for us along with Havertz.

I don't give a flying fuck if Havertz does it for Germany .. he isn't doing it for us.

Kova was poor abd Jorginho is a liability..

2 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Hard to be optimistic these days...

But I think this Potter Chelsea is really on an upward trajectory. And no, this isn't me saying this just because we got 3 points.

Even when we were failing to make the most of final third chances, we were really easy on the eye.

He needs to sort out the central midfield though. Jorginho is looking more slow and ponderous with each game. We're too soft in the middle.

And I take back my reactionary comment against Fofana. He really grew into the game after the first Palace goal.

Well we went  from 0-1 to 1-1 to 2-1 so yeah we are on the least steep  and most linear possible upward trajectory results wise for sure and also performance wise it looks like we are getting marginally better each game.

that being said we were still extremely poor and frustrating to watch 

the goal ofc was a work of art and a huge relief. Let’s hope this kickstarts Conor’s Chelsea career as Mase clearly needs a break 

Edited by Magic Lamps

One thing that is going under the radar a bit is how good we are becoming at scoring late winners.

Apart from Conte's title season we had a low amount of match winning goals late (85 minute plus) in games and under Sarri/Lampard that element became next to non existent.

However in recent months especially we've started to pick up 3 points with late goals which is pleasing to see, off the top of my head there's Palacex2, West Hamx2, Watford, Newcastle off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Vytis33 said:

Chilwell looks pretty well off it too.  That signing of Cucurella makes much more sense now Ben can’t possibly be back to full fitness 

I didn't see the game today so I can't comment on this specific performance but let's not allow this myth about the prior excellence of Ben Chilwell to go any further. He is the same player he ever was. As often happens when injured players are not convincingly covered for in their absence, Ben became 'better and better' the longer he was out. The myth was never going to survive his return to the team however. I said all along that if we went to the market it must be for an upgrade on Ben, not a backup for him. The price paid suggests that this is what Marc was intended to be. Unfortunately he isn't so, as I said right at the start of the  season we are eventually going to have to go to the market again and get ourselves a long-term LB/LWB. We have bigger priorities for the moment however.