Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Romano just confirmed he is ready to leave Atleti. We opened talks days ago, there is official bid on the table, loan with option to buy.

United in the race in last 24hrs, he's in the list with Camavinga...player is ready to move to the PL

25 minutes ago, Jype said:

Could be many things.

Maybe he means the likes of RLC and Ampadu, who have had a full pre-season and are hoping to nail a spot in the squad as the fourth midfielder only to be told in the last week of the transfer window that they're being offloaded so the club can get another new high-profile player instead? But I don't think the club should worry too much about the kind of message a new signing sends to players who've already been deemed not good enough.

Or he could mean disrupting the flow of the current midfielders from last season? Don't think Jorginho and Kante would have anything to fear, but if Saul comes in and starts performing well it could mean bad things for Kovacic and him potentially being reduced to a bit-part role after good performances under Tuchel would be kind of harsh.

Either way, I think having four quality midfielders competing for two places in the starting XI can only be a good thing for the team's success. There are plenty of games to be played this season and if someone ends up playing less it's because the others are simply performing much better and that's what the team needs to compete for the league title and/or retaining the CL. In the current midfield situation I wouldn't necessarily want a huge money signing like Rice to come in (although I rate him really highly and still have hope for him to join later) but a loan signing with an option to buy would make a lot of sense.

Ah I see, probably for the likes of Ampadu and RLC.

As you said there are so many games this season that 4 midfielders for 2 spots would get a great amount of game time each and to add that Kante's hamstring, Jorgi picking up yellows. A loan would be smart.

One thing to remember with Saul is that he offers something no current midfielder in the team (or any other player for that matter) does, which is a threat from long range shots.

Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic can't shoot dangerous shots from outside the box if their lives depended on it but Saul has a more than decent scoring record, or at least he did before the 2020/21 season.

19 minutes ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

Hopefully our good relationship with Atleti will help us.

Dealing with Atleti won’t be a problem at all. Convincing the player might be trickier. At United he’d be competing with shit players like Fred, Matic, and McTominay so would easily displace all of those. Here he might find game time more difficult to come by.

If we pull it off it’s a very sensible deal, though.

4 hours ago, ulvhedin said:

So, current situation with players:

1st team players (Azpi, James, CHO positions are of course fluid):
GK: Mendy, Kepa, Bettinelli
LWB: Chilwell, Alonso
RWB: James, CHO
CB: Rudiger, Zouma, Christensen, Silva, Azpilicueta, Chalobah
CM: Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic
AM/CF: Mount, Lukaku, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech, Werner

Out of these players there are still 2 uncertanities: Zouma, Chalobah - of course much depending on Kounde signing. 

Players who might end up with some role with 1st team:
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Ethan Ampadu
Faustino Anjorin

With covid and rumored new CM it's hard to predict what are current status of these 3.

Players who were part of 1st team preparation but wasn't part of the official games and most propably won't be part of 1st team:

Lucas Bergstrom (GK)
Abdul Rahman Baba
Malang Sarr
Jake Clarke-Salter
Dujon Sterling
Davide Zappacosta
Ross Barkley
Danny Drinkwater
Tiemoué Bakayoko
Lewis Baker
Charly Musonda
Ike Ugbo

Out of these players Zappa and Ugbo are basically sold, Bakayoko propably will be loaned out, Bergstrom will propably stay with DEV team. That still leaves us with 8 players that has nothing to do, and with no rumors of any clubs being interested in them (maybe 7 if Musonda is still not match fit).

Edit: Emerson is already loaned out

JCS is also loaned. 

27 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Dealing with Atleti won’t be a problem at all. Convincing the player might be trickier. At United he’d be competing with shit players like Fred, Matic, and McTominay so would easily displace all of those. Here he might find game time more difficult to come by.

If we pull it off it’s a very sensible deal, though.

He gets back to form he'd displace Kovacic easily. 

33 minutes ago, Jype said:

One thing to remember with Saul is that he offers something no current midfielder in the team (or any other player for that matter) does, which is a threat from long range shots.

I remember his "wonder goal" against Bayern. Can Jorginho/Kante/Kovacic score like this? 

Edited by Patrick Bamford

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bamford said:

I remember his "wonder goal" against Bayern. Can Jorginho/Kante/Kovacic score like this? 

They probably can't but I don't think Saul has done anything like that in a while either. The clip is from 2016. 😆

Either way, he's better going forward than any of Jorginho/Kante/Kovacic. Could be a great option to have for games against the lower sides because I recall plenty of times we've all been screaming for a more attacking minded option in the midfield two. Playing the likes of Havertz or Mount there isn't really an option because it sacrifices too much in the defensive side of things, but Saul is more than adequate and he has plenty of experience in shutting down opposition having played years in a Simeone team.

I'm all for the signing if it happens. Worst case scenario we lose the loan fee (surely less than 10M) and pay star player wages for the season for someone who only ends up filling the numbers as a squad player, but best case scenario we strike a bargain and get a 26-27yo world class player for a cheap price. The very definition of a low risk -high reward in my books.

34 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He gets back to form he'd displace Kovacic easily. 

They’re essentially the same player. Saul undoubtedly is better when he gets a sniff in front of goal but in general play they are extremely similar.