Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Reflecting a bit on our first couple of months under Frank plus his time at Derby i'm starting to feel CB is the highest priority in the market followed by LB.

Lampard's system will always have the attack looking better than the sum of it's parts but defense the complete opposite, we will always have defensive gaps under Lamps so (a bit like how Klopp has done it) we need to recruit the best defenders possible so we can plug the tactical gaps with individual quality.

Think of how a Simeone or Jose can make average defenders like Trippier, Cahill, Savic look very good but any attacker below the top class category tend to flop with them, with Lampard it's the same logic in reverse.

27 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Reflecting a bit on our first couple of months under Frank plus his time at Derby i'm starting to feel CB is the highest priority in the market followed by LB.

Lampard's system will always have the attack looking better than the sum of it's parts but defense the complete opposite, we will always have defensive gaps under Lamps so (a bit like how Klopp has done it) we need to recruit the best defenders possible so we can plug the tactical gaps with individual quality.

Think of how a Simeone or Jose can make average defenders like Trippier, Cahill, Savic look very good but any attacker below the top class category tend to flop on with them, with Lampard it's the same logic in reverse.

I agree. Look at what we did to Liverpool.  We unlocked their defence time and time again but Matip, vvd and Robbie were just so good they always recovered. It is like having a great striker to save your shit attack, a great CB can make you get away with schoolboy defensive tactics. 

40 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Think of how a Simeone or Jose can make average defenders like Trippier, Cahill, Savic look very good but any attacker below the top class category tend to flop with them, with Lampard it's the same logic in reverse.

I disagree. I don't think we have cb problem, we have midfield problem. Even klopp played 3 athletic n discipline midfielder in front of their CB. 

That is imo our biggest problem. 

56 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Think of how a Simeone or Jose can make average defenders like Trippier, Cahill, Savic look very good but any attacker below the top class category tend to flop on with them, with Lampard it's the same logic in reverse.

a bit harsh on Simeone IMHO

his only truly massive bust was the one-year wonder (that superb Mbappe-led 2016-17 Monaco team was his only good year) Thomas Lemar

Jackson Martínez in 2015/16 was shit, no fault of Simeone, I called that a bad buy as soon as it crossed the wire. Liga NOS massive numbers, goal wise, never impress me much. Only players I like out of that league are the few top class backs (CB's and a few fullbacks) and young DMF/CMF's and the occasional winger (hello Felix) with huge potential that one can just innately see.

Even though he got a lot of stick, if you look at Yannick Carrasco's last season and a quarter/third or so at AM (minutes wise that equals only a couple hundred minutes more than Azpi played for one year) he produced good numbers for a winger, 18 goals and 12 assists, so 14 per full season, with 9 or 10 assists, many of those in the league too (13 and 8) I would LOVE to see Pulisic pull 13 league goals and 8 assists.

2 years ago, Ángel Correa had 8 goals and 11 assists playing only half a seasons minutes, and had 9 and 9 last year as a part-timer too, 3 years ago he had 8 goals and 4 assists in only a third of a full season's minutes, so again, more than decent production from the wing

Costa and Falcao were absolute monsters under Simeone their first go-round, Costa had 4 goals in 60 minutes or so this year in a pre-season game v Real Madrid

Joao Felix (granted we are now talking a potential top 3 or 5 in the world player) already looks a BEAST

this year Vitolo (loved him at Sevilla on those superb Emery teams) finally looks 100% healthy again and I would not be shocked if he had a really good year

4 hours ago, communicate said:

I disagree. I don't think we have cb problem, we have midfield problem. Even klopp played 3 athletic n discipline midfielder in front of their CB. 

That is imo our biggest problem. 

Even with their CM's they were still leaking left, right and centre prior to VVD and Robertson. Look at the latters recovery to outdo Pedro in the Super Cup, put Moreno in his place Pedro walses through and has a tap in.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Even with their CM's they were still leaking left, right and centre prior to VVD and Robertson. Look at the latters recovery to outdo Pedro in the Super Cup, put Moreno in his place Pedro walses through and has a tap in.

They didn't have fabinho till last year. He helped them tremendously because Henderson is not a holder. 

The reason I mentioned cm because in our case having two wc CB will help but if our holder is still Jorginho plus our fb pushing forward we will concede. 

That is the reality. When a team concede people usually blame the back 4 but sometimes it is not the case. 

On 9/2/2019 at 10:13 PM, Fernando said:

We have the money after this summer. 

It would be good to have more english players. 

My first choice is Mbappe, second Sancho. 

Spend all the money we got and some more on one of this. 

I know we need to spend in other areas, but if all we can do is spend big on one target then I will not mind being one of these. And if that's all our business fine. 

I much rather spend more on top quality then quantity. We done that in the past, gone for quantity and it has gone bad. Just buy quality even if it means we get 1 or 2 player per transfer window. 

Mbappe is unattainable. 

I honestly don't see us getting Sancho. I don't know the last time we beat other team in the transfer market for marquee signing. 

8 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Can that Mikel Oyarzabal lad play RW? Would love an inverted RW. 

City was linked to him. I can see them going for him because they need someone to replace Sane for that fourth choice winger position after he leaves for Bayern. 

5 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

City was linked to him. I can see them going for him because they need someone to replace Sane for that fourth choice winger position after he leaves for Bayern. 

I still say they go for Sancho, especially to block us, Manure, and Victimpool (I cant see spuds or arse tossing out that type of quid)

there were 4 wingers (not named Mbappe) who I so rated

One, (Pepe), is off the table

that leaves 

Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)

Mikel Oyarzabal (Real Sociedad)                         

Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina) 

all 3 can play either wing

IF we do lose CHO or he is a not playing well and we do NOT land at least one of those 3, I am going to go bonkers (Oyarzabal and Chiesa would be monsters under Lamps, toss in Kingsley Coman as part of a CHO deal, and then keep Pulisic, we are set at winger for ages, 4 wingers, all can play either side)

I would add just below those

Vinícius Júnior (Real Madrid)        

Richarlison (Everton)

Ousmane Dembélé (Barelona) <<<<<< ONLY if he unfucks himself, he is turning into a nightmare attitude wise

Rodrygo (Real Madrid)

Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace)

Anthony Martial (Manure) <<<< they will never sell atm, we so fucked up by not tossing in an extra £10m to grease that Willian for him swap

Kingsley Coman (Bayern) <<<<< IF we do sell CHO to them, I would demand he is part of the deal

I haven't read every post on here but we are jumping the gun no doubt about it. There is absolutely no guarantee that next summer we're going to go on a massive spending spree a la 2003. I'm not saying there won't be money to spend but finish finish top 4 a few new players yes but out of Europe completely then we become a less attractive proposition. Starting a thread about who we are going to buy before a ball had been kicked is a bit hard to fathom when you don't know how the players are going to perform. Starting a thread in January would have probably been a better time.

Besides Lampard might be terrible in the market and buy complete duds. There is a touch of the fantasy football / FIFA about this thread it's pure speculation and guesswork but come next summer there will be many unhappy with who we buy or don't buy that's a given.

Let's pretend the guy who wrote this knows what he is doing and these are our targets. 

These five players would definitely improve our team massively. But it matters who we drop for them. Most likely something like this:

Willian-Sancho 

Pedro-Neres

Giroud, Michy-Dembele 

Zouma-Ake 

Alonso-Chilwel

Sancho and Chilwell would cost together around 200m pounds. Neres and Ake 40m each and Dembele probably 70,80m. So around 350m I think we could do this. My only issue is we would still lack top world class CB which should be number one priority. So if possible I would rather go with Warner instead Dembele. It would save us 40+millions and we would be able to go for someone like Romagnoli instead of Ake. And looks like everyone agrees we don't need new midfielder?