Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

5 minutes ago, Jype said:

What's the chance Benfica execs took to Twitter today and saw reports of Boehly willing to 'blow Arsenal out of the water' with Mudryk and then decided to shift the goalposts and demand the full 120M€ up front instead of a structured payment plan?

Wonder what would Benfica gain from "decision not to sell" - he is hot after WC, it's risky to think he will be worth 200 million in summer. Much more probable it will be more like 80. No other offers to fulfill the clause of what we know, so what's the plan here?

Last window TB shown nothing but desperation and they know it, so maybe no harm in pulling off for a week.

Edited by Vegetable

16 minutes ago, Jype said:

What's the chance Benfica execs took to Twitter today and saw reports of Boehly willing to 'blow Arsenal out of the water' with Mudryk and then decided to shift the goalposts and demand the full 120M€ up front instead of a structured payment plan?

That's exactly what's happened... naive as fuck.... 

1 minute ago, DDA said:

That's exactly what's happened... naive as fuck.... 

It's hardly like Boehly has come out on record and said he's blowing anyone out of the water for Mudryk.

It's a usual sensationalist Twitter headline for clicks.

I highly doubt Benfica would be looking at something like that and making huge boardroom decisions because some rag has put out that headline. 

They will have an idea already what they want going to the negotiation table and as we're not looking to pay the release clause in one lump, they know there's the opportunity to negotiate and try to get the best deal for themselves possible. They've always been tough negotiators, and I think this just needs a bit of time to see if an agreement can be reached. We're at the start of the window, Benfica could stretch this out if they choose, and may also be stalling a bit of time themselves to find a replacement.

Pretty sure this is what happened, it' something the clueless American would do to pretend he is smart and now Benfica obviously pissed had said fuck this shit pay release clause or nothing. Moronic to say at least from a billionaire who made his fortune to be so dumb.

Edited by TheHulk

1 minute ago, Superblue said:

It's hardly like Boehly has come out on record and said he's blowing anyone out of the water for Mudryk.

It's a usual sensationalist Twitter headline for clicks.

I highly doubt Benfica would be looking at something like that and making huge boardroom decisions because some rag has put out that headline. 

They will have an idea already what they want going to the negotiation table and as we're not looking to pay the release clause in one lump, they know there's the opportunity to negotiate and try to get the best deal for themselves possible. They've always been tough negotiators, and I think this just needs a bit of time to see if an agreement can be reached. We're at the start of the window, Benfica could stretch this out if they choose, and may also be stalling a bit of time themselves to find a replacement.

The headline may have been a little sensationalist but the content sure wasn't. All credible Chelsea-based journalists have today confirmed we're in for Mudryk if the Arsenal move collapses and the reason they know that is because it was leaked by someone inside the club. 

Maybe not the best idea to go shouting from the rooftops how you're aiming to make another 80-100M transfer when you're trying to negotiate lower terms for another one.

Why would Benfica come to the tables in the first place to talk if today we hear they want the release clause or nothing? Only explication is Chelsea changed terms which pissed Benfica off. If it was related to first payment being a big lump only we would've heard reports how the 2 clubs stalled in negotiation over the installment of the first payment but all we hear is they want release clause.

The American is extremely dumb and I really hope he gets exposed by all these credible journalists that he tried to low ball on his words.

Edited by TheHulk

I may be wrong with this but my understanding is Enzo has a buyout clause like the ones in Spain, not a simple release clause.

For FFP purposes, because a buyout clause is between player and club and the player has to activate it, the buying club giving the money to the player to activate it isn't treated the same way as usual transfer fees that are amortised over a contract length. They are instead treated as the full amount in that first year for FFP purposes.

If that interpretation is indeed true, there's absolutely no chance of us 'simply' activating the clause to guarantee his signing, and hence why Benfica have got negotiating power and they obviously know it too. 

17 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Pretty sure this is what happened, it' something the clueless American would do to pretend he is smart and now Benfica obviously pissed had said fuck this shit pay release clause or nothing. Moronic to say at least from a billionaire who made his fortune to be so dumb.

I do not believe a single word of this tweet. Multi million dollar business is, after all, business, not 8 year old prima donnas who can afford to walk away because they didn't like the tweet or felt touched with offer. Media buzz is just another way of negotiation, they will pull all the tricks but it all comes for both sides to feel stuffed with cash in a right way.

I'm getting highly sceptical of our new ownerships, but in this case if "american bad", it's only due to his willingness to overpay for unimpressive players, making it more difficult for us in the long run.    

43 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

An utter miracle we won the CL under Tuchel after this catastrophic array of poor transfers since 2017. 

THIS

and because of that miracle, we also finally the Super Cup (under Roman, we had won it before) and for the first and only time, the World Club Championship

BUT

we BARELY won those games (other than the semi of the FWCC), against vastly poorer teams.

We also have lost 3 FA Cup finals in a row, plus the League Cup again last season (both to fucking Pool)

we will not have a new stadium finished for 5 to 7 years I wager, and until I see plans, I have doubts it will be sufficient

with Boehly and Co now shtting away quid like they are, we will soon pass the 1 billion quid pissed away since 2016/17 mark.

we are in fairly dire straits atm

18 minutes ago, Superblue said:

I may be wrong with this but my understanding is Enzo has a buyout clause like the ones in Spain, not a simple release clause.

For FFP purposes, because a buyout clause is between player and club and the player has to activate it, the buying club giving the money to the player to activate it isn't treated the same way as usual transfer fees that are amortised over a contract length. They are instead treated as the full amount in that first year for FFP purposes.

If that interpretation is indeed true, there's absolutely no chance of us 'simply' activating the clause to guarantee his signing, and hence why Benfica have got negotiating power and they obviously know it too. 

Care to elaborate on this?

Of what I understand, the 120 mil release clause in typical Spanish manner is ridiculous, compared to actual player's worth, to prevent other clubs activating it without original club's consent. We could just route this 120 + tax through Enzo and run, but we want to avoid a single expense of this size, so we are negotiating for a sum sizably bigger, than said clause, but in installments. So given no immediate interest from other clubs we aren't really negotiating for some incredibly great deal for us, are we? Don't Benfica feel bit too powerful here?

Edited by Vegetable

48 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Just a remainder that we are having a Sporting Director in place, who seems to be no fool and surely he has some say in transfer business now. If he'd rate Enzo enough to pay 130 mil and not complain, TB would pay and not complain, I guess

Unless I misunderstand your post, we do NOT have a sporting director yet, that is the last unfilled position, as I have posted on multiple times.

Just now, Vegetable said:

Care to elaborate on this?

Of what I understand, the 120 mil release clause in typical Spanish manner is ridiculous, compared to actual player's worth, to prevent other clubs activating it without original club's consent. We could just route this 120 + tax through Enzo and run, but we want to avoid a single expense of this size, so we are negotiating for a sum sizably bigger, than said clause, but in installments. So given no interes from other club we aren't really negotiating for some incredibly great deal for us, are we?

A standard release clause means a club can activate the clause by going to the selling club and paying the clause. As this is deemed a transfer fee it's amortised over the players contract like a normal transfer. i.e. if a player has a release clause of £50m and we activate it and sign him on a 5 year contract then we include £10m per season in the accounts for the next 5 years. If after 3 years, he extends for another 5 years then the remaining £20m of the transfer fee left to amortise is now spread again over a new five year period, etc, etc.

These buyout clauses in Spain are mandatory agreements between player and club to allow a player to buy himself out of a contract. In order to activate these, the player must do so and therefore the buying club must give the money to the player to do it. This payment to the player isn't considered a transfer fee in the same sense and therefore it would be recorded as a one off expense in the year it happens. So going back to above example if we paid a player £50m to buy himself out of his contract then it's £50m on the books in that year and nothing then for the next 4 years. 

The way it was being reported, Enzo's clause sounds the same as the ones in Spain, i.e. he needs to activate it and this is a massive differential for FFP purposes.

47 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Wonder what would Benfica gain from "decision not to sell" - he is hot after WC, it's risky to think he will be worth 200 million in summer. Much more probable it will be more like 80. No other offers to fulfill the clause of what we know, so what's the plan here?

Last window TB shown nothing but desperation and they know it, so maybe no harm in pulling off for a week.

Benfica are league leaders and still in the champions league . Its in their interest to hold on to their best player until the summer to win the league. Also, who knows how far they could go in the CL? This would  be their first league title which is worth more than 200m

Just now, didi007 said:

Benfica are league leaders and still in the champions league . Its in their interest to hold on to their best player until the summer to win the league. Also, who knows how far they could go in the CL? This would  be their first league title which is worth more than 200m

This explains it best but even so it's beyond dumb this isn't done. You can negotiate a 120m payment with 2 installments one 100 the other 20 and it would be treated like a transfer fee so someone fucked up. I refuse to believe Benfica wanted the buyout only, they were willing to talk until today..

37 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

just an FYI

the Record (Portugal( is an absolute SHIT source

Don Balón level shit

not saying we are not blowing this deal, but the Record is not a thing to put a lot of faith in for info