Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

11 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

According to Bayern insider we fended off heavy interest from fc Bayern when securing the nkunku deal, prevailing vs an other European heavyweight for a change 

Doesn't make any sense, Bayern still have Muller and Musiala.

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

Yeah right bc Bayern  never buy players they don’t need…

no srsly, the play 4231 or 4222 with false nine and/or second striker 

musiala Müller Start start as no. 10s in behind usually , ofc all front 4 or 5 interchange during the game

nkunku would compete vs Gnabry and mane mostly for the nominal 2 positions up front

17 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yeah right bc Bayern  never buy players they don’t need…

no srsly, the play 4231 or 4222 with false nine and/or second striker 

musiala Müller Start start as no. 10s in behind usually , ofc all front 4 or 5 interchange during the game

nkunku would compete vs Gnabry and mane mostly for the nominal 2 positions up front

Bayern want to sign pure no.9 next summer. Nkunku as i said before would be a strange choice.

7 hours ago, Blues Forever said:

Thinking where they got him from I wonder what's a point of having a "top notch academy" if we can't manage to properly develop and retain talented youth. It's not a first and not a last player who had to leave to explode his potential, otherwise he'd spent rest of his career on loans to 3rd Spanish division…

28 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

It's not a first and not a last player who had to leave to explode his potential, otherwise he'd spent rest of his career on loans to 3rd Spanish division…

That notion is is abolsute myth. Players who play in the Spanish 3rd division and levels similar play in it because that's their ability level, nothing more nothing less.

Solanke and Brewster leaving us for "more chances" hasn't helped them get particularly far.

Edited by Tomo

18 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

According to Bayern insider we fended off heavy interest from fc Bayern when securing the nkunku deal, prevailing vs an other European heavyweight for a change 

Don't forget that Bayern have always held a strong interest in a certain young German attacker playing for Chelsea at the moment...

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they begin to step up their interest in the coming seasons.  

On 07/10/2022 at 21:50, Vegetable said:

Thinking where they got him from I wonder what's a point of having a "top notch academy" if we can't manage to properly develop and retain talented youth. It's not a first and not a last player who had to leave to explode his potential, otherwise he'd spent rest of his career on loans to 3rd Spanish division…

That is not why Jamal left. Once he decided that his life would be in Germany, and that he would play internationally for Germany not for England, the move to Bayern was always on the cards.

I thought the myth of us denying opportunities to deserving young players had died. It just isn't true. Marc Guehi perhaps but he's the only candidate. All of the others fit into one of four categories: -

• Never good enough in the first place
  • Near miss but ultimately still not good enough
  • Was given a chance to impress over many games but the manager eventually decided they were not for him.
  • Play right back, grew up with Reece James and are not idiots.

The only players showing signs of top-flight careers fall into the last two categories. 

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

That is not why Jamal left. Once he decided that his life would be in Germany, and that he would play internationally for Germany not for England, the move to Bayern was always on the cards.

I thought the myth of us denying opportunities to deserving young players had died. It just isn't true. Marc Guehi perhaps but he's the only candidate. All of the others fit into one of four categories: -

• Never good enough in the first place
  • Near miss but ultimately still not good enough
  • Was given a chance to impress over many games but the manager eventually decided they were not for him.
  • Play right back, grew up with Reece James and are not idiots.

The only players showing signs of top-flight careers fall into the last two categories. 

Tomori should be added to your list.  He sort of fits the 3rd dot point but I feel there was enough raw potential there for us to keep him.  

If only the club had a crystal ball about the Christensen contract situation, we could have saved ourselves 30-40 million by keeping Tomori/Guehi at the club. 

5 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

If only the club had a crystal ball about the Christensen contract situation, we could have saved ourselves 30-40 million by keeping Tomori/Guehi at the club. 

Marina had a blind spot for renewals. She assumed that she could strong-arm players like Cuntois, Rudiger, and AC. when the Sukhoi Su-34 rubber hit the runaway.

Russia's Su-34 Fullback Strike Jet Is The King Of Hauling Gas

Just those 3 cockups have cost us around £175-200m or so at the end of the day, when Kepa's crazed world record for a keeper panic fee + salary for 7 years, plus £100m (or so) in lost transfer fees for AC/Rudi combined are figured in.

5 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Tomori should be added to your list.  He sort of fits the 3rd dot point but I feel there was enough raw potential there for us to keep him.  

Tomori would of been perfect to play where he did here under Frank in a back 3 with TT or even on the right. Plus I have every faith he wouls of plaued more often with TT than with Frank the second season.

And with Rudiger going, he would of been a shoe in perhaps but to be fair, (what looked like) a lack of belief in him and chances he got under Frank sealed his fate.

And for someone in his situation, when a club like Milan come knocking, particularly with Maldini fronting a lot of their transfer activities, the history of players like him, Baresi, Nesta etc weaved into their history, its a once in a life time chance and a tough call for any young defender. He's no doubt improved a lot but I feel he would of done so here with Thiago Silva (who definitely had a positive influence on Rudi and Andreas as did TT) and the managers system, as well as due to his talent, which was there. 

Guehi is good too but I think Tomori is definitely a much much bigger fuck up. Between the board and Frank, putting him on a loan there with an option was mental. I mean its mind boggling. You don’t do that unless both club and manager are more than happy to let a player go either so the blames definitely as much on Frank as the folk on the board.

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

particularly with Maldini fronting a lot of their transfer activities

this is so true

it's why they have a fiercely loyal Theo (grrrrrrrrrrrrr) for instance

when you have the best (or second best, Beckenbauer v Maldini is like Pele v Maradona) defender in football history (and a one club man for over 30 years, from age 9 to almost 41, way over 1000 games total) come calling and then following up like a father, ts hard to say no to.

Plus it is Milano, incredible quality of life (well, we shall see what transpires under the new fascist (for sure) slash borderline neo nazi (on the edges) government) and also that insane football tradition (AC Milan is second biggest club over the entirety of footballing history, only trailing Real Madrid, both in front of Bayern, and even farther in front of Barca, Manure and Pool and of course Ajax, who have been vastly reduced since the end of the 20th century by the rise of the Big 5 leagues). Chels still needs 20 to 30 more years of excellence (CL, league, and club world champions trophies must keep flowing in) to start to be tossed into the grand sweep of history arguments.

Chelsea to appoint Christopher Vivell as technical director

https://theathletic.com/3667533/2022/10/07/Chelsea-christopher-vivell/

11 February 2022, Saxony, Leipzig: Soccer: Bundesliga, Matchday 22, RB Leipzig - 1. FC Köln at the Red Bull Arena. Christopher Vivell, technical director of RB Leipzig comes to the TV interview. Photo: Jan Woitas/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa - IMPORTANT NOTE: In accordance with the requirements of the DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga and the DFB Deutscher Fußball-Bund, it is prohibited to use or have used photographs taken in the stadium and/or of the match in the form of sequence pictures and/or video-like photo series. (Photo by Jan Woitas/picture alliance via Getty Images)

Christopher Vivell will be appointed as the new technical director at Chelsea.

The west London side have been looking to recruit a technical director after Petr Cech departed the club in the summer.

The process in identifying a candidate is now over as Vivell looks set to take charge in his new role at Stamford Bridge.

Vivell, 35, left former club RB Leipzig on Friday due to “differences of opinion.” He had held his role with the Bundesliga side since 2020.

Owner Todd Boehly was acting as Chelsea’s interim sporting director throughout the summer and played a key role in signing eight players during the transfer window.

Chelsea originally held an interest in recruiting the sporting director from Red Bull Salzburg, Christoph Freund, who had emerged as the favourite to fill the sporting director vacancy at Chelsea.

Although he initially refused to rule out a move, he later confirmed he would be staying with the Austrian club.

Vivell will now likely play a key role in Chelsea’s future recruitment. The Athletic revealed earlier this week that forward Christopher Nkunku, who plays for Leipzig, has signed a pre-contract agreement to join Graham Potter’s squad for the 2023-24 season.

Chelsea are preparing for their upcoming match against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Premier League this Saturday.

What will Vivell bring to Chelsea?

RAPHAEL HONIGSTEIN: Vivell has been an integral part of the Red Bull football group’s successful recruitment network since joining RB Salzburg as Head Scout in 2015.

A sports science graduate of Karlsruhe’s Institute of Technology and former analytics coordinator at TSG Hoffenheim, Vivell was promoted to Head of Scouting in Austria before joining Leipzig as technical director in August 2020.

His main focus there has been on long-term squad planning in line with the club’s footballing principles.

Of his work, he said: “I’d like to explain it this way. Managers think from one game to game to next, sporting directors think from one transfer window to the next, technical directors think three transfer windows ahead.”

Edited by Vesper

question

are we also going to have a SPORTING director?

it is my understanding (perhaps a wrong one) that a technical director is in charge of the of the overall club structure, and a sporting director is in charge of the on the the pitch/recruiting side

20 minutes ago, Vesper said:

question

are we also going to have a SPORTING director?

it is my understanding (perhaps a wrong one) that a technical director is in charge of the of the overall club structure, and a sporting director is in charge of the on the the pitch/recruiting side

7 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Tomori should be added to your list.  He sort of fits the 3rd [dot] point but I feel there was enough raw potential there for us to keep him. 

As you guessed, I had in mind that Fikyo fits into group 3, "Was given a chance to impress over many games but the manager eventually decided they were not for him."

Remember my post is aimed at rebutting the myth that first team capable Cobham graduates were not given chances by Chelsea because of the club's culture. 'Fik' benefitted from a good loan, was brought back and given a place in the first team squad. Further, he was relied upon and picked numerous times. Eventually however the manager decided he preferred other options. That decision by Frank may, or may not, have been the right one but that's not the point here. The point is that Fik absolutely was given a chance. That he did not establish himself was nothing to do with club culture and everything to do with the manager's preference.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie