Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

34 minutes ago, lucio said:

Tap in and penalty merchant. 

he has never missed a pen for Brentford, he is a monster in the air, and is he of the hardest working defensive/pressing CF's in a Big 5 league, not just the EPL

he is not a super creative CF like the top 10, 15 ones, but those are so rare

and he is decent on his long ball passing

10 minutes ago, Vesper said:

he has never missed a pen for Brentford, he is a monster in the air, and is he of the hardest working defensive/pressing CF's in a Big 5 league, not just the EPL

he is not a super creative CF like the top 10, 15 ones, but those are so rare

and he is decent on his long ball passing

https://youtu.be/xbNi-zKiSeQ

I think this gives a good picture on how he would fit with us

Edited by bluesman2610

11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think ultimately the difference with Aubameyang is if it doesn't work out, I think he is easier to absorb and bring another attacker in next summer. If Toney costs 3 or 4x as much he immediately becomes a big money signing. The risk if he flops is we're stuck with two very expensive failed strikers on the books and still searching for another. 

we are doubling Auba's salary

so around £203K PW for 3 years

plus £25-30m or so for the fee more than likely

so around £57m to £62m for 3 years

If we pull Toney for £40-45m in fees and pay him £120K pw (massive increase from his £31K PW now)

that is 

£58.7m to £63.7m for the first 3 years

almost no difference, and for a far younger player (at end of 3 years Toney is 29yo, Auba 36)

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

i would much rather have Toney than Auba

and we can use Broja or Bats as makeweight compensation for BFC as it such a late CF transfer

Not that I think it will happen, but getting rid of Broja to bring in Toney will be reverting back to what we used to under likes of Mourinho. Would not send out good message. I do like Toney but even him at the same age was no way near accomplished. He was playing in League 1/2 I think, so with Broja we should not be using him as makeweight. His potential may be higer.

7 minutes ago, Stats said:

Not that I think it will happen, but getting rid of Broja to bring in Toney will be reverting back to what we used to under likes of Mourinho. Would not send out good message. I do like Toney but even him at the same age was no way near accomplished. He was playing in League 1/2 I think, so with Broja we should not be using him as makeweight. His potential may be higer.

put a buy-back in

adjust the figures as needed

problem solved

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

we are doubling Auba's salary

so around £203K PW for 3 years

plus £25-30m or so for the fee more than likely

so around £57m to £62m for 3 years

If we pull Toney for £40-45m in fees and pay him £120K pw (massive increase from his £31K PW now)

that is 

£58.7m to £63.7m for the first 3 years

almost no difference, and for a far younger player (at end of 3 years Toney is 29yo, Auba 36)

From what it appears we don't want to be bidding much more than £15-18m on Aubameyang (which I completely agree with) and I really doubt that Toney is gettable at £40-45m. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Brentford will be asking for £60-70m for him. So I do think there would be a bigger gap than what you'd initially estimate.

The accounting treatment of transfer fees vs wages has to be a consideration also. Wages are easier to be able to absorb or reduce on an annual basis by being able to loan a player out, even if the loaning club are only paying a proportion of the salary. If Aubameyang for example came in for 1 season and after that we looked to move him back out, we could probably find a suitor to take him on loan and carry a good chunk of his salary.

A transfer fee is essentially a sunk cost. Even when loaning a player out we're still stuck with their annual amortisation on the books. If Toney flopped here like Lukaku, you might be able to move his wages on by loaning him out but you're still stuck with his transfer costs which could easily fall into a £12-15m a season territory for 4 or 5 years. We might get a loan fee for him but it won't fall into this size bracket.

On paper Toney seems to be the more sensible buy long term but a transfer like his we have to be far more confident is going to work because it has longer term consequences to get out of.

With Aubameyang I don't know Barca's exact position, but dragging this out even later into the transfer window we may be able to get him significantly cheaper or even on a loan just for him to be cleared from their wage bill. 

The other option we do have is for now to simply make do with our current attacking crop. With the World Cup in the winter, there's a shorter timespan of games before the January window, and it's something we can possibly revisit then when we've had more time to plan. There will be plenty of time in December to discuss deals with clubs without the chaos that there currently is.

12 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

All this Auba talk and we threw away Giroud with plenty in the tank. 

They are very different players tho. you could see Giroud for all his qualities was not gonna work long term in TT ball.Aubameyang would be a decent fit if he was 7 years younger. We should have gone for him when he went to Arsenal. Same as Jesus. Maybe we should just hire Arsenal's scout^^

28 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Brentford will be asking for £60-70m

that's insane (not you, lol) and no way would I endorse that type of money for Toney, it is not like he has always been a dream signing for me ever, I am just trying to work things out with so little time left and so few options

he is year older than Jesus (£47m, but I do admit it was that low due only one year left on his contract, although I think Citeh had a an option, not sure) and nowhere close to being as good

we really fucked ourselves right proper starting with the psychotic £350-400m or so total chase of Håland (which was never happening, I am convinced of that), then not buying Osimhen or Vlahovic last year, and instead buying the nightmare Donkeykaku

54 minutes ago, Vesper said:

yes, I looked at that last week

good summation, deffo no hype. pretty realistic

His link up with poor brentford players is actually really good and his finishing is what impressed me the most. The ability to catch a volley like he does is pretty rare in football these days anyway.

Matheus Nunes was there for the taking until we wasted all the window chasing after De Jong that will not come here...what we have now is a clown Jorginho that will watch all day long just ghosting about on the pitch of play....either we sign a top central midfielder or relegate J5 to the bench and have fully fit Kante Kovacic and Gallagher ahead of him