Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Huge risk/reward signing for Liverpool.

One good season in Portugal, it's difficult to really assess where his level is at. 

It's easy to say at least he's young so he'll have a resale value to him but for that price he'll likely be joining on some very good wages too which will price him back out of leagues like Portugal in the future if it doesn't work out. We've seen ourselves with someone like Bakayoko how hard a player is to shift from a big transfer fee and wages if they prove to be a bust.

At least what Liverpool can probably do is allow him time to settle in, similar to what they did with Fabinho who looked nothing more than a pub player initially until he adapted to the league and the way Liverpool play. Klopp will only leave there when he's ready to, so Nunez can be confident he'll be given the time and support to do everything to make it work.

It'll be interesting though to see how Liverpool rebuild. That front 3 was a vital element of their fear factor and I think in particular if they lose Mane this, and then Salah next summer that is a lot of goals to replenish, especially from players who aren't strikers. Diaz looks a really good player but I'm not sure he'll hit numbers like Mane and Salah do so I can understand the feeling and need to bring someone like Nunez in. We'll see if he can play that focal role as well as Firmino and Jota have in the past. 

I do think though on paper losing Mane for Nunez makes Liverpool currently weaker.

34 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Huge risk/reward signing for Liverpool.

One good season in Portugal, it's difficult to really assess where his level is at. 

It's easy to say at least he's young so he'll have a resale value to him but for that price he'll likely be joining on some very good wages too which will price him back out of leagues like Portugal in the future if it doesn't work out. We've seen ourselves with someone like Bakayoko how hard a player is to shift from a big transfer fee and wages if they prove to be a bust.

At least what Liverpool can probably do is allow him time to settle in, similar to what they did with Fabinho who looked nothing more than a pub player initially until he adapted to the league and the way Liverpool play. Klopp will only leave there when he's ready to, so Nunez can be confident he'll be given the time and support to do everything to make it work.

It'll be interesting though to see how Liverpool rebuild. That front 3 was a vital element of their fear factor and I think in particular if they lose Mane this, and then Salah next summer that is a lot of goals to replenish, especially from players who aren't strikers. Diaz looks a really good player but I'm not sure he'll hit numbers like Mane and Salah do so I can understand the feeling and need to bring someone like Nunez in. We'll see if he can play that focal role as well as Firmino and Jota have in the past. 

I do think though on paper losing Mane for Nunez makes Liverpool currently weaker.

yeah not sold on Nunez as alluded above.

Even if Diaz continues to shine, Darwin continues his development and Jota looking competent, that will never be the same level as their attack with Salah and Mane. While they clearly have  a better scouting department than we do and thus will continue to make decent purchases but they will not strike gold again like they did with salah and mane anytime soon.

11 hours ago, Blues11 said:

Agreed. The creativity from our midfield is horrendous. We literally have to play a certain way to cater to them because they can't hold up the ball on their own or work out of a press...

To me our #1 priority. 

Think we need a DM more than anything. 

“I am told Chelsea are in negotiations with Koulibaly’s agent speaking about the deal. 

Chelsea are happy with Napoli’s valuation. This is all on what the player decides to do, but he’s open to joining Chelsea.” 

- @siphillipssport https://t.co/jha7j1PfHf

40 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

yeah not sold on Nunez as alluded above.

Even if Diaz continues to shine, Darwin continues his development and Jota looking competent, that will never be the same level as their attack with Salah and Mane. While they clearly have  a better scouting department than we do and thus will continue to make decent purchases but they will not strike gold again like they did with salah and mane anytime soon.

Their scouting department would never land on Lukaku and Saul as summer signings. We have to be cautious about looking forward to their downfall even if they lose Mane and Salah. Even in 2020-21 their worst season in Klopp's tenure, they finished above Chelsea.

“Chelsea are in positive talks with Jesus agent after being offered the player, this is one that could still be on the cards. 

The player is appealed by Chelsea. Tuchel really likes Jesus and how he plays.” 

- @siphillipssport https://t.co/zGJlg6YRlw

“The noise I am hearing and some of things I’m told, there is reason to be confident (of Rice joining Chelsea). 

I’m not saying Rice to Chelsea is done, or even advanced. 

But the things I have been told this week, fill me with A LOT of hope.”

- @siphillipssport https://t.co/waVzDRecUY

35 minutes ago, Strike said:

Their scouting department would never land on Lukaku and Saul as summer signings. We have to be cautious about looking forward to their downfall even if they lose Mane and Salah. Even in 2020-21 their worst season in Klopp's tenure, they finished above Chelsea.

Agree about the first part but

Klopp has been in charge sicne 2015, they finished outside the top 4 on numerous occasions under him. How is 20/21 their worst season under klopp?

Also no one said this would be their downfall. they will still be up there but they have no unlimited funds, they rely on their transfers to work every time to stay close to city. At some point it will not work

7 minutes ago, whats happening said:

koulibaly kounde and jesus would be a good start.

if gnabry is around 40m he should be a target as well. then think about a dm/cm...

I'd be delighted to get those 3 in the door, and Dembele, before pre season starts. I still think right wing back/full back needs depth if Azpi is leaving although it shouldn't be a situation that needs a fortune to address but a shrewd signing. I'd say the left hand side too but I have a feeling Tuchel wants to bring Emerson back from his loan spell to replace Alonso. I'm not keen on Emerson, but I'm also acutely aware of the sheer volume of players that could end up being turned over and bringing someone back into slot into the squad that is already used to the group I can understand the thinking behind it if it happens.

I don't think there's smoke without fire and I think the club want to bring Rice back if they can and he'd be first choice for the midfield.

I have a feeling we will look to address other positions such as the backline and the attack first, try and offload the players we decide are dispensable and see where we're at in a few weeks time to see whether a suitable bid for Rice can be made. Although Moyes mentioned £150m asking price, a lot of journalists seem to think if someone made a bid around £70-80m West Ham would have some tough decisions to make, especially as I think Rice will be keen to move.

Just now, Pizy said:

Koulibaly would be interesting as a shorter term signing. But I’ll still believe he’d leave Napoli when I see it.

I’d still prefer us to go younger.

We have Colwill. Him learning from Koulibaly + Silva would be great for him. 

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Koulibaly would be interesting as a shorter term signing. But I’ll still believe he’d leave Napoli when I see it.

I’d still prefer us to go younger.

Depends how young you're thinking. If it was for example Gvardiol alongside Kounde being bought in, there is an extremely heavy reliance on Thiago Silva to stay fit and play as much as possible to lead and anchor that backline. If Azpi stays on, that probably becomes slightly less of an issue but if he goes then before signings we're realistically looking at a current pool of centre backs of Silva, Chalobah, Colwill and Sarr.

I think Koulibaly would be good for at least 2-3 years and although he'll cost a bit I think he's a very good option to transition away from relying on Silva over the next year.

I like the look of Gvardiol, but I think Leipzig will try and do something similar with him to what they've done with Werner, Konate, Upamecano, etc and are doing with N'kunku. They'll try and tie him down for another year or two by offering him the opportunity to move on when the time is right for a reasonable market fee. From what it sounds like, he's quite happy there currently anyway. I wouldn't be against Koulibaly now, and Gvardiol in a year or two.