Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

Cherki could be the ultimate boom or bust signing. Could be an unreal value signing like Hazard was coming from Ligue 1 if he works out. His talent on the ball is amazing. But his nonchalant style isn’t going to fly in the PL against every opponent so he’s definitely a risky player as well.

I’m sold on him at this point. Wasn’t at first but now I want him.

Na, lazy lazy players will never work with Poch.

Can’t think of one player outside his time at PSG (no manager was going to get those 3 to press) who was of that ilk and did well. Not one. Ndombele was one he tried at Spurs and that went wrong because he was nonchalantly lazy. 

We just complained all season about players not putting the effort in - would just be 1 step forward 2 steps backwards if we get a player of this ilk. All Poch’s attacking players at Southampton and Spurs, bar the season he was sacked, led from the front very well. Even Rickie Lambert had to get onboard with it and he was in his 30s. And complained virtuously as was stated on a podcast. 

Chekri is Good on the ball but an absolute passenger off it from what I l’ve seen. Acceptable at Lyon maybe when your the golden boy and the teams built around you but that will never work here with Poch. And all the top top teams do not have passengers. Thats why Klopp and Pep’s sides have been so good over years - because they don’t carry anybody.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Tbf, if we get Caicedo we’d have two players behind Cherki who are tigers on the pitch that can cover for his defensive weakness. Especially since we’ll be the team with all of the ball in most games. Putting Cherki in a midfield with Jorginho in it would likely have been suicidal. But Enzo and Caicedo can cover every blade of grass.

We need a player who can stitch together the CM and the forward players. With excellent ball retention and an eye for a killer pass. Cherki provides that. 

Fair. And if he was going to be mega expensive I’d say avoid and it’s not worth the risk. But for under £40m the upside outweighs my concerns. Worst case scenario is he needs to be sold in a couple of years when he’ll still be in his early 20’s and many clubs will be interested in a young kid with super talent.

Cannot afford to have players like Caicedo etc doing double the work though when you can get all 11 boys to do it. That has to be the Poch mantra for this to work. 

Ok Kante did it here but he was an exception. I don’t think we will ever see the likes of what he could do as a player as that sort of midfield player again in our shirt if I’m honest.

The days of building football teams and giving one player free reign/lesser duties is gone. Hence why United were so keen to get rid of Ronaldo. Hence why PSG have been so keen to get rid of Neymar. Hence why players like Fabregas and Riquelme have died out also more or less - because the good teams don’t carry passengers. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

31 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Na, lazy lazy players will never work with Poch.

Can’t think of one player outside his time at PSG (no manager was going to get those 3 to press) who was of that ilk and did well. Not one. Ndombele was one he tried at Spurs and that went wrong because he was nonchalantly lazy. 

We just complained all season about players not putting the effort in - would just be 1 step forward 2 steps backwards if we get a player of this ilk. All Poch’s attacking players at Southampton and Spurs, bar the season he was sacked, led from the front very well. Even Rickie Lambert had to get onboard with it and he was in his 30s. And complained virtuously as was stated on a podcast. 

Chekri is Good on the ball but an absolute passenger off it from what I l’ve seen. Acceptable at Lyon maybe when your the golden boy and the teams built around you but that will never work here with Poch. And all the top top teams do not have passengers. Thats why Klopp and Pep’s sides have been so good over years - because they don’t carry anybody.

Cannot afford to have players like Caicedo etc doing double the work though when you can get all 11 boys to do it. That has to be the Poch mantra for this to work. 

Ok Kante did it here but he was an exception. I don’t think we will ever see the likes of what he could do as a player as that sort of midfield player again in our shirt if I’m honest.

The days of building football teams and giving one player free rein/lesser duties is gone. Hence why United were so keen to get rid of Ronaldo. Hence why PSG have been so keen to get rid of Neymar. Hence why players like Fabregas and Riquelme have died out also more or less - because the good teams don’t carry passengers. 

Refresh my memory if I’m wrong, but Eriksen wasn’t exactly a pressing machine and doesn’t do much running or defensive work. And he was Poch’s key playmaker in those great Spuds sides. Could Cherki not play that exact role?

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Refresh my memory if I’m wrong, but Eriksen wasn’t exactly a pressing machine and doesn’t do much running or defensive work. And he was Poch’s key playmaker in those great Spuds sides. Could Cherki not play that exact role?

no such a thing. 😅

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Pretty sure Eriksen bought into it as did Dele Alli. Pressings pointless if 1 or 2 don’t do their bit. 

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Veiga is 6’1 and looks more robust as a midfielder than Cherki. He’s cheaper too 

The only reason why I see Cherki doing well enough in the PL is because he's got dribbling ability and plenty of time to develop.   

Veiga would look bang average for most teams other than City/Liverpool (because they already have star players).