Saul Niguez

Milan

So unpredictable people hyping move of fallen player, trying to rebuild himself to the moon and calling for sending him back when he surprisingly didn't turn out to be a superstar from the very first minute on pitch. Oh, internet.

8 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

On paper he has got everything. But some Spanish players just become bambi on ice when you take them out of a spanish team. 

Problem with him is that he hasn't became bambi on ice when you took him out of s spanish team - accroding to even Atletico fans, he was very poor for 2 seasons already.

I thought he was better at the start of the game. One or two touches and pass. As the half went on he started dribbling more and passes got more risky. I really love the player he was and hope that he can get some of that back. Thankfully it is a loan.

5 hours ago, ulvhedin said:

Problem with him is that he hasn't became bambi on ice when you took him out of s spanish team - accroding to even Atletico fans, he was very poor for 2 seasons already.

As far as I know he was only 'poor' when judged by the sky high standards he had previously set for himself, but even then I would think he was still a useful player because he kept starting most games. No way he was that bad for two years and still kept his place as a regular starter in a team that just won the league title in Spain last season and has one of the best squads in the country.

Still early days but not looking promising at all, though it has to be said that Kovacic had an underwhelming first season as well and once he got going he became much better. If it weren't for the transfer ban I doubt the Kovacic deal would have even been made permanent but at the time there weren't any other options. Saul doesn't have the luxury of getting a full season to settle in because if he keeps underperforming it's easy to just send him packing. Having so many question marks over recovering his form is exactly why it only made sense to do the signing as a loan deal. 

Edited by Jype

Good point earlier regarding Kova, exactly what I was going to post, though I understand we didn't see the same level of debut etc it's a similar enough situation. Saul is good friends with Kepa and should take stock from that situation, we actually now rely on Kepa, not to the amount we thought when paying the money we did, but ultimately he is a valuable member of the squad.

It's down to Saul to improve and as above let's see how things are going in Jan/Feb, not forgetting we do have others to take the fourth spot as well.

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

I was suspicious when he signed. He knew he had a fight on to even be first substitute and was still happy to come.

I agree that this is a reason for suspicion as is the reported fact that Atleti were so desperate to include an obligation to buy in the deal.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Tomo said:

We may aswell keep him for the season if he's happy here but barring a spectacular comeback I think it's safe to say we won't be activating the buy back.

Was just gonna say the same thing. All good that we're trying to make it work while we're still in the season but the conversation will be a different one altogether next summer. We're already stacked in midfield - even without him - and there's still Gallagher and Gilmour to return. 

Think as said above, he will stay for the season then that’ll be that based on what has happened so far although suppose still only 10/11 games in. Have to admit, I was hugely excited over this move but it has been disappointing mainly. No doubting his pedigree and previous ability but hasn’t just quite clicked 1) for playing time and 2) performance wise.

Aye he’s shown a bit more in flashes in a few games recently and we are coming up the busiest part of the season so he may get involved a bit more but if he wants to make himself attractive as an option to be here permanently he needs to play say 5, 6 or 7 games on the bounce in quick succession and put a real marker down, which I am not sure he will get say 5, 6 or 7 games consecutively or do based on what has happened so far. 

Think cutting his loan short would be a bad decision though unless we got a MF player in January but realistically wont happen, Saul cannot play for 3 teams and Atletico cannot afford his wages so looks unlikely. 

• 4 weeks later...