Saul Niguez

Milan

1 hour ago, Warning_Hazard said:

100% send back job in jan, Hopefully we bring in someone much better asap.

Not sure we can. Normally, there isn't a break clause. Even if we did send him back who do we get? Recall Gallagher? I can't see us signing anyone unless Chilwell is out for the season. 

59 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Not sure we can. Normally, there isn't a break clause. Even if we did send him back who do we get? Recall Gallagher? I can't see us signing anyone unless Chilwell is out for the season. 

Anyone who thinks we need to recall Gallagher or even Gilmour in January should be sent for a brain check. 

The most damming thing is I can't think of a single positive attribute he brings to the table and it's the first time I have felt like that with a player since Torres.

Werner's been a disapointment over all but we can use his pressing, movement and pace tactically. Morata was sh*t overall but he had movement and ariel ability. Even Bakayoko and Drinkwater had a few upsides to them.

But there's not a single thing with Saul I look at and think "atleast he has that despite everything".

Edited by Tomo

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

The most damming thing is I can't think of a single positive attribute he brings to the table and it's the first time I have felt like that with a player since Torres.

Werner's been a disapointment over all but we can use his pressing, movement and pace tactically. Morata was sh*t overall but he had movement and ariel ability. Even Bakayoko and Drinkwater had a few upsides to them.

But there's not a single thing with Saul I look at and think "atleast he has that despite everything".

Agree, I would also add Cuadrado to that list. From what I remember he was just as hopeless. 

23 minutes ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

He's not Bakayoko level yet to me, Bakayoko was something else.

Saul just seems a bit timid when playing, no confidence, overwhelmed. How has he dropped so much..

As shit as Bakayoko was he did give us the early run and some performances in big games including a cup final.

I dread to think what would happen if Saul plays against top calibre opposition.

35 minutes ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

Saul just seems a bit timid when playing, no confidence, overwhelmed. How has he dropped so much..

Last night and the Villa game (league) were on par, if not worse, than anything Bakayoko dished out for us. 

36 minutes ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

What I cannot see is what  Saúls selling point might be. Bakayoko was bad but he had good moments and one could see what his strenghts were. Saúl just looks completely clueless. His passing is bad, his fouls are stupid and unnecesarry, doesn't shoot outside the box, no good dribbling.. Don't see what he can offer.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Torres had many positive impacts. After all he scored 22 goals in one season and was instrumental in winning EL. Actually he had double digits in both goals and assists in 11/12 and 12/13 season. 

His confidence is shot, looks lost all the time. I was super worried yesterday seeing that makeshift line-up with him in it, but luckily Tuchel acted quickly and rest of the boys grinded out the result.

His transfer wasn't bad, it was worth a shot with it being only a loan with option to buy. If he comes good we can buy him, if he doesn't we'll just ship him back. Smart business with minimal risk. Ruben has anyway stepped up so he can fill our 4th choice spot in MF, which is what Saul was supposed to be.

16 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Torres had many positive impacts. After all he scored 22 goals in one season and was instrumental in winning EL. Actually he had double digits in both goals and assists in 11/12 and 12/13 season. 

After we signed players for multi millions of pounds to try and help get the best out of him and gave him full 90s unconditionally for months on end.

Sign Jermaine Beckford and mollycoddle him the same way he'd have wound up with a similar tally.

And that's before we mention all the vastly superior strikers we lost while he was here (Drogba, Sturridge, Ba, Eto'o) and quite possibly missed out on thanks to him (prime Falcao, Aguero, Cavani).

He held us back for years on so many levels.

48 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He held us back for years on so many levels.

One bad transfer window can have that happen. Which was the case in 2010 and 2017. 

The 2010 summer transfer window (Ramires, Torres, Benayoun, and Luiz) set us back tremendously, in spite a couple of those players having big moments for us. We never adequately replaced Deco, Ballack, Joe Cole, and Carvalho in the slightest, which was why we had to wait so many years to actually compete for the title. 

We are now seeing us finally being able to compete after the 2017 disaster window.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

As shit as Bakayoko was he did give us the early run and some performances in big games including a cup final.

I dread to think what would happen if Saul plays against top calibre opposition.

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Last night and the Villa game (league) were on par, if not worse, than anything Bakayoko dished out for us. 

2 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

What I cannot see is what  Saúls selling point might be. Bakayoko was bad but he had good moments and one could see what his strenghts were. Saúl just looks completely clueless. His passing is bad, his fouls are stupid and unnecesarry, doesn't shoot outside the box, no good dribbling.. Don't see what he can offer.

For me, I feel Saul has better technical ability, yes he hasnt shown it so far but its there, his confidence is just so shot. Bakayoko to me, not so much. I remember him playing 45 mins i think against Spurs in a friendly and it was brutal.

Bakayoko had a full season, so I'll wait till the end of season to rate Saul too. Good thing is if Saul is a total bust, we can return him.

Edited by chelsea_4_eva

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

One bad transfer window can have that happen. Which was the case in 2010 and 2017. 

The 2010 summer transfer window (Ramires, Torres, Benayoun, and Luiz) set us back tremendously, in spite a couple of those players having big moments for us. We never adequately replaced Deco, Ballack, Joe Cole, and Carvalho in the slightest, which was why we had to wait so many years to actually compete for the title. 

We are now seeing us finally being able to compete after the 2017 disaster window.

While ofcourse those windows in itself didn't help (understatement) I think on both occasions things ran deeper than that.

2010 may have made it worse but it was actually 2008 where we badly fucked up. That summer we should have identified young hungry players (like Luka Modric) to gradually succeed the old guard over the following 2-3 years, the fact we tried to sign Modric 3 years later says everything.

And while ofcourse Torres wasn't the only problem, imagine how easier things would have been had we had a prime Falcao, Aguero or RVP? 

This time it was the double whammy of 2017 and needing to move on with the times style wise else we'd have become the club version of Jose. It was always going to take time to effectively change to a modern style, espeically when you're trying to chase down Pep.

• 2 weeks later...