Champions League Final 2021 - Man City 0-1 Chelsea

Jase

6 hours ago, Jas said:

@Tomo Random question, do you think City lost their competitive edge or rhythm (at least a little?) in the final having not competed in a meaningful game for like 3 weeks going into last Saturday?

De Bruyne had been out of form (for him) for a few weeks overall

Stones is simply not better than Laporte, it isn't close IMHO

Citeh left backs are true shit

Pep so fucked up not starting Fernandinho (or Rodri), as it cascade-affected Gündoğan, it kept him from making his deep surging runs

Sterling has been dreggy for months, many months

Foden was a wee bit hit with nerves I think

Marhez was shut down as well

Bernardo was meh, below his normal

a LOT of that was due to our insane defensive masterclass

9 hours ago, cosmicway said:

It was n't really stolen cause at two each it was anyone's game.
But was it ?
British scientists (Oxford) have proven that it went in.
German scientists (Goetigen) have proven that it did n't.

No! I'm talking about the Jules Rimet trophy was stolen, not the match.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

De Bruyne had been out of form (for him) for a few weeks overall

Stones is simply not better than Laporte, it isn't close IMHO

Citeh left backs are true shit

Pep so fucked up not starting Fernandinho (or Rodri), as it cascade-affected Gündoğan, it kept him from making his deep surging runs

Sterling has been dreggy for months, many months

Foden was a wee bit hit with nerves I think

Marhez was shut down as well

Bernardo was meh, below his normal

a LOT of that was due to our insane defensive masterclass

Agree with you totally on all subjects, it still don't detract from us being brilliant, organised, skillful, passionate.

Apart from my tears of joy at the final whistle, my chest pushed out with pride for the team and the manager.

10 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

What did you make of Chilwell's performance?

I know recently you've been quite critical of him and felt we should look to replace him.

I personally thought he was excellent defensively against Mahrez. He got caught the one time off Walker's pace the whole game but besides that I don't think he put a foot wrong on the defensive side of his game which has come on significantly as the season has progressed (particularly under Tuchel). His block early on at 0-0 was arguably as good as Rudiger's and the ground he had to make up to make that block was impressive given his starting point.

I still think there are areas in his attacking game which need improvement, especially in a wing back role. Although I do think he's capable, he just needs to be more confident in his application at times. That seemed more apparent on Saturday, he seemed to be looking to release the ball a lot quicker to Mount and Werner and his one touch lay off to Mount for the goal again went largely unnoticed but was what actually took Walker out of the game and was the first piece of the play to stretch City's defence.

His touch leading up to the goal was decisive. He likes those little touches and, in my opinion, is quite good at them. No matter who you are however they are going to miss a lot and will always be icing not bread and butter.

Man City are made for Ben Chilwell. Playing them is always going to be more about defending than attacking and it is in the attacking phase that Ben frustrates most. Against them Ben isn't often receiving the ball with nine or ten opponents between him and the oppo's area, needing to make a positive pass or a positive carry. Odds are that our first opponents of next season will treat us the way Villa did last week and we're all going to spend the afternoon watching Ben pass to Jorgi or Rudi.

I'd be willing to pay £60m, £70m or even £80m for a fullback but he must offer the full package; competent defender, high level technique, pace and TWO FOOTED. The evolution of the fullback has proceeded to a point where they are of critical importance. If such targets can't be identified, I'd be instructing the scouts to search among wide players for the characteristics we need.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

22 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Love how Billy Gilmour was singing Spice Girls song at the party with beer in his hand 😂 he was not even born when Wannabe came out. 

Is he old enough to actually drink it? 🤣

1 hour ago, Milan said:

"Chelsea have become the first team to win all three of Europe’s major club competitions twice following our maiden Champions League triumph in 2012 and victories in the Europa League in 2013 and 2019 and Cup Winners’ Cup in 1971 and 1998."

😎

Let's enjoy this while we can because come August it won't be true anymore.

55 minutes ago, Jas said:

Fantastic vid!v Especially seeing the bench rooting for their team mates, especially Thiago.

Oh and also, is Kai still wearing the Stand Up Speak Up band? Isn't it like.... 20 years ago? 😄