Erling Haaland

NikkiCFC

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Why are we worried that someone becomes unhappy? If someone is unhappy they move on next year and we replace them - like Tammy this year.  I'd rather have enough quality options - for years Chelsea was a Hazard, Costa, Kante injury away from being a mid-table side. Kepa's backup options when he arrived were 35 yo Willy and 36 yo Eduardo.

Because it's not sustainable? Because it could disrupt the dressing room? It's all good when we are winning, like we did most of the time this past season under Tuchel but it can be disruptive when the results start to go south, like we saw under Lampard and we know bad results are never far away when it comes to Chelsea FC. And before people throw in the City comparison again, I'd argue we have more high-profile players vying for starting positions than City. 

11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

You'll always have patches in the season where some don't play as often as they'd like but I'm sure with 6 players, come the end of the season they'd have all started 30 games and probably played their part in 40 or more. It would be up to Tuchel to get them all aiming for one common goal, which is more trophies. I'd like to hope that the UCL has only given them a thirst for more and we've potentially got the squad to challenge on multiple fronts next season.

Mount, Havertz and Werner could all play big parts for their countries this summer, and as you mentioned Pulisic is playing in the Gold Cup. Add to that extra club games, international games, Ziyech at the Afcon and then the World Cup next summer, the fixture list this next year is going to be ridiculous. They will all need opportunities to be rotated and rested during the season and I think 6 is a good number for 3 positions.

I don't disagree but again, no one is gonna like moving in and out of the side. How can one gain any sort of consistency or see improvement by being in and out of the side?

And it doesn't seem like Pulisic will be playing the Gold Cup this summer.

I wouldn't necessarily say Mount is a certainty. I think he currently is in our "best XI" but we got a couple of good results/performances without him under Tuchel and the onus is on him to kick on again this coming season as he definitely needs to add more goals to his game to get to break into the highest level of players.

Are you sure about that? Tuchel has talked endlessly about the importance of Mount and Mount is the one player who has played the most minutes under Tuchel. I'd say Mount needs to be managed better in terms of his minutes to prevent a burnt out and I can also see him being a certainty again.

Haaland too, would likely be used more often than not but he's not a cast iron guarantee to hit the ground running. He may need next season to acclimatise himself, so the alternative options to him could end up being a blessing.

I don't think if we buy someone like Haaland, we would be rotating him a lot. Otherwise, we're gonna have Raiola making noises to the media!

22 minutes ago, Jas said:

Because it's not sustainable? Because it could disrupt the dressing room? It's all good when we are winning, like we did most of the time this past season under Tuchel but it can be disruptive when the results start to go south, like we saw under Lampard and we know bad results are never far away when it comes to Chelsea FC. And before people throw in the City comparison again, I'd argue we have more high-profile players vying for starting positions than City. 

define high profile

here are the players we have, who (NOT counting injuries forcing them to start, like a Zouma)

who are good enough to start at least some of the time

Edouard Mendy 

Andreas Christensen 
Antonio Rüdiger
Thiago Silva

Ben Chilwell   

Reece James  
César Azpilicueta    

N'Golo Kanté   
Jorginho    

Mateo Kovacic    
Billy Gilmour   (will be loaned out)

Mason Mount    
Kai Havertz   

Hakim Ziyech    
Callum Hudson-Odoi   
Christian Pulisic   

Timo Werner   

there simply are not a lot of friction points there, especially as none other than the GK, the CB's (and Azpi is combo), and the DMF's are in a set position

we are seriously short at CF (as Tammy and Giroud are likely gone), DMF (we really need true DMF, athletic, etc to spell Kante, Jorginho is not up to the double pivot without Kante as partner), and CMF, plus LB (unless we are going to wring another season out of Alonso)

plus backup keeper is fucked (I do NOT trust Kepa for the month Mendy is gone)

and I would like a better CB to replace Zouma (we can get another next season to replace Thiago) just buy Lacroix if Bastoni or Varane are impossible

Edited by Vesper

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

define high profile

here are the players we have, who (NOT counting injuries forcing them to start, like a Zouma)

who are good enough to start at least some of the time

Edouard Mendy 

Andreas Christensen 
Antonio Rüdiger
Thiago Silva

Ben Chilwell   

Reece James  
César Azpilicueta    

N'Golo Kanté   
Jorginho    

Mateo Kovacic    
Billy Gilmour   (will be loaned out)

Mason Mount    
Kai Havertz   

Hakim Ziyech    
Callum Hudson-Odoi   
Christian Pulisic   

Timo Werner   

there simply are not a lot of friction points there, especially as none other than the GK, the CB's (and Azpi is combo), and the DMF's are in a set position

we are seriously short at CF (as Tammy and Giroud are likely gone), DMF (we really need true DMF, athletic, etc to spell Kante, Jorginho is not up to the double pivot without Kante as partner), and CMF, plus LB (unless we are going to wring another season out of Alonso)

plus backup keeper is fucked (I do NOT trust Kepa for the month Mendy is gone)

and I would like a better CB to replace Zouma (we can get another next season to replace Thiago) just buy Lacroix if Bastoni or Varane are impossible

I'm talking about the attacking positions. Having Werner, Havertz, Mount, Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO and Haaland on top of that is A LOT. At least 5 of them there I consider to be high profile. 

1 minute ago, Jas said:

I'm talking about the attacking positions. Having Werner, Havertz, Mount, Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO and Haaland on top of that is A LOT. At least 5 of them there I consider to be high profile. 

you are talking about players who can play (other than Håland) in multiple positions

obviously not every single one in ALL of these positions, but many can play in multiple areas and some on either side if need be

tossing Håland in (and with Giroud and Tammy leaving) certainly is not an 'upset the apple cart' manoeuvre

RW

LW

CF

SS

False 9

AMF

and in CHO's case, RWB

same for Mbappe

in a perfect world I want them both by season start of 2022/23

screw Ziyech and potentially CHO, especially if they fail again this coming season

we have potentially 65 games coming up this season (the only game we deffo do not have is the CS, which would have made it 66, barring cup replays)

we need a massively deep bench

38 league games

The Super Cup

The FWCC (2 games, and then the next year (we have already qualified), potentially 4 or 5 I think, as the format changes)

League Cup (5 potential games)

FA Cup (6 potential games)

CL (13 games potentially)

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

you are talking about players who can play (other than Håland) in multiple positions

obviously not every single one in ALL of these positions, but many can play in multiple areas and some on either side if need be

tossing Håland in (and with Giroud and Tammy leaving) certainly is not an 'upset the apple cart' manoeuvre

RW

LW

CF

SS

False 9

AMF

and in CHO's case, RWB

same for Mbappe

in a perfect world I want them both by season start of 2022/23

screw Ziyech and potentially CHO, especially if they fail again this coming season

we have potentially 65 games coming up this season (the only game we deffo do not have is the CS, which would have made it 66, barring cup replays)

we need a massively deep bench

38 league games

The Super Cup

The FWCC (2 games, and then the next year (we have already qualified), potentially 4 or 5 I think, as the format changes)

League Cup (5 potential games)

FA Cup (6 potential games)

CL (13 games potentially)

But it's 7 players for 3 positions, assuming we stick with the back 3. If 1-2 players become a certainty, then that leaves very little room for others to get in.

8 hours ago, Pizy said:

I agree that Haaland doesn’t seem like the sort of striker that Pep would normally fancy. He’s not really a guy who plays in intricate spaces and is heavily involved in the buildup. And he definitely isn’t a striker who likes standing around the box while City’s midfielders ping it around a hundred times.

For me the two clubs he would fit like a glove in the PL are ourselves and Liverpool. Teams that like to aggressively press, win the ball high, and blitz opponents with pace and athleticism. He’s a monster in open space and with the runners we’d have around him that space will be available to him constantly.

Saying all that, Haaland would of course score a boat load in the City team. But so would any top striker.

But Haaland is still very young, meaning Guardiola can fine tune or tweak his game to his liking. You think Tuchel wouldn't do something similar IF we get him? 

1 minute ago, Jas said:

But it's 7 players for 3 positions, assuming we stick with the back 3. If 1-2 players become a certainty, then that leaves very little room for others to get in.

again you are locking those players into only a few positions, when they almost all can clearly play seeming other than 

LW

RW

CF

I am going to dig my feet in on this

there is ZERO chance bringing in a monster CF upsets the team

ffs, we all have been talking about a CF for ages

and lord knows we have a shedload of games to make sure all get playing time

plus

dare I say

injuries

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

again you are locking those players into only a few positions, when they almost all can clearly play seeming other than 

LW

RW

CF

I am going to dig my feet in on this

there is ZERO chance bringing in a monster CF upsets the team

ffs, we all have been talking about a CF for ages

and lord knows we have a shedload of games to make sure all get playing time

plus

dare I say

injuries

Regardless of whether they can play multiple positions, it's still basically 7 players for 3 positions. Even if we take CHO out of that because of RWB, it's still 6 for 3. Not as if the others can suddenly play in midfield or defence. Mount can do the former but that's it.

And I'm not saying getting Haaland specifically will upset the team but rather having too many high profile options for so few positions. 

Just now, Jas said:

Regardless of whether they can play multiple positions, it's still basically 7 players for 3 positions. Even if we take CHO out of that because of RWB, it's still 6 for 3. Not as if the others can suddenly play in midfield or defence. Mount can do the former but that's it.

And I'm not saying getting Haaland specifically will upset the team but rather having too many high profile options for so few positions. 

its more than just 3 positions

we are not going to play a rigid double pivot with just 2 wingers and one CF every game

I will be shocked if that happens

and even if we do, you know Mount will sometimes (for better or worse) be in that double pivot

we need a scorer, BADLY

Jorginho with SEVEN (and all were pens ffs) goals was our top league scorer

Werner had 6

Mount had 5 plus a PK for 6

Tammy had 6 but is 90% likely gone

Zouma had 5 and is likely gone

that is it for 5 or more goals in the league

fb4f9f456a220386ef3c540abdf9791a.png

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

its more than just 3 positions

we are not going to play a rigid double pivot with just 2 wingers and one CF every game

I will be shocked if that happens

Based on what we have seen under Tuchel so far, it's 3 attackers upfront in a 3-4-3 or 2 attackers upfront in a 3-5-2. So, it's either 7 attackers for 3 positions or 6 attackers for 2 positions.

5 minutes ago, Vesper said:

we need a scorer, BADLY

Maybe but I'd also like to believe that there is more to come in terms of finishing from the current group of players that we have. 

14 minutes ago, Jas said:

Based on what we have seen under Tuchel so far, it's 3 attackers upfront in a 3-4-3 or 2 attackers upfront in a 3-5-2. So, it's either 7 attackers for 3 positions or 6 attackers for 2 positions.

Maybe but I'd also like to believe that there is more to come in terms of finishing from the current group of players that we have. 

so (and this is not a trick or a gotcha question)

who and what positions should we be addressing via an inbound transfer(s)?

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

so (and this is not a trick or a gotcha question)

who and what positions should we be addressing via an inbound transfer(s)?

The midfield and defence.

As for the offence, have long said it that I don't think we necessarily need a big name striker - we need one if only because both Abraham and Giroud are likely to leave - but someone low key, reliable and can work with the rotation. Basically, am in a similar train of thought with Tomo here...

16 hours ago, Tomo said:

I'm not as fixated on a striker as many despite the records of our players last season.

I think there's a lot of mitigating circumstances. Havertz with very bad Covid then returning when we were at the meltdown period under Frank, Werner having a few weeks of bad misses which then escalated, Pulisic injured for most of the early part of the season and then returning in the Frank meltdown period, Ziyech losing his momentum he was building before injury, and not to mention three were in their first season and before Tuchel arrived weren't getting coaching to the required level they needed at this level. I don't think it's unreasonable to think those four and Mount (possibly CHO too) will all improve by atleast 4/5 league goals next season which will effectively be new striker numbers.

I have enjoyed the fluidity that's been building with Kai as the false 9 and I think we are onto something going forward. An out and out striker could potentially put us backwards in our evolution even if he offers impressive numbers, ofcourse the main person I'm referring too is Lukaku but even with Haaland I can't help but look at the fact BVB have got worse despite his unbelievable personal numbers.

I still can't see it, just feels like everybody jumping on the bandwagon atm. Romano has been completely quiet on it so far, so i'll be very interested to see what he has to say about the situation.

Edited by Artandur

I know the usual argument is "It's not your money", but I can't help but feel that a transfer this gigantic would have a strong impact on future transfer windows.
Haaland is a brilliant player with heaps of potential, but do we really want to make such an enormous investment should the opportunity be there? 

For this kind of money you would expect basically the next coming of Messi, and is Haaland that? He is an amazing goalscorer, but I am personally not 100% convinced he would do well against the very packed defenses we often encounter in the league. 

I think that if the question is put as "Would you like Haaland?", it is easy to say "Yes, big time".
If the question instead was "Would you like Haaland, but then not get other players such as Varane, Rice etc" it would be a bit tougher (at least for me).  

A big question for me is also what this transfer would entail for how we play. What would the formation be, which of our more regular starters would become rotational players etc. 

This is even not considering the almost guaranteed drama a few years from now where the flirting with other clubs begin so that Mino can get his latest cut. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You