21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

8 minutes ago, DDA said:

I would keep Chilwell and Maatsen and fuck Cucarella off.

In an ideal world so would I, but I think it will almost certainly be Maatsen we cash in on. He's only got a year left on his contract and can be sold for pure profit. There will be a market for him too, possibly not just from Burnley which will hopefully help bump his price up. I don't see why the club can't push for £15-20m at least and possibly even factor in some additional add ons or even a buy back to cover ourselves.

The problem we have with Cucurella is we're getting nowhere near his FFP value this summer if we tried to move him on so it's just not going to happen. I just hope that with a more settled environment and a top manager next season we'll see a better version of him. There's clearly a player in there, perhaps not quite the level we thought we were paying top money for, but his player of the year at Brighton last season should suggest at worst he can be a solid squad player and second choice to Chilwell. 

There's been many cases of players taking time over the years here and being much improved after a year or so. At times, the club hasn't shown that patience required and its ended up costing us some bloody good players. Hopefully there's a couple or more here already that haven't performed this season but will step up and push on next.

I can’t see the owners admit to making yet another mistake and selling Cucurella. He is here to stay, so we should probably say goodbye to Maatsen.

Edited by Cosmin

I like that his contract isn't too long. In case he drops his level or continue injury problems. He'll be 30 and a half when this one expires. 

Also it's funny how this was finished fast like James. So problem must be in Mount. But now reading Klopp wants Barella so we may struggle to sell him somewhere. 

Edited by NikkiCFC

23 minutes ago, Mário César said:

it is really sad that we have a talent back up in our academy and we stuck with cucurella 

jesus christ 

He is better than Cucurella and would've costed nothing, now we will most likely lose him for peanuts while Cucurella is here for years.

Maatsen much much better than Cucurella and should be our back up next season? Give me a break, why did nobody suggest keeping Maatsen as back up at the beginning of the season then if he was/is that good 🤣?

So one season in the championship for Burnley and I see overrating our youngsters (particularly one who probably didn’t have a long term future here regardless of if we had Cucurella or not) is back. The Cucurella of last season was 10 times the player. Granted shite this season but most have been. Proper coach might help him who knows. But Maatsen? Not so sure he will be cut out for a top top team. I mean Burnley are comfortably better than everyone in the Championship but I do feel Maatsen will struggle defensively in the PL. 

Back to the point though. Glad to see Chilly signed a new deal. Gets rid of any speculation re City looking at him and potentially exiting due to FFP. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Maatsen much much better than Cucurella and should be our back up next season? Give me a break, why did nobody suggest keeping Maatsen as back up at the beginning of the season then if he was/is that good 🤣?

So one season in the championship for Burnley and I see overrating our youngsters (particularly one who probably didn’t have a long term future here regardless of if we had Cucurella or not) is back. The Cucurella of last season was 10 times the player. Granted shite this season but most have been. Proper coach might help him who knows. But Maatsen? Not so sure he will be cut out for a top top team. I mean Burnley are comfortably better than everyone in the Championship but I do feel Maatsen will struggle defensively in the PL. 

Back to the point though. Glad to see Chilly signed a new deal. Gets rid of any speculation re City looking at him and potentially exiting due to FFP. 

From memory, Maatsen was keen on a squad role at Chelsea but Tuchel declined and preferred that he go out on a loan.  

As for Cucurella, he really wasn't that good for Brighton, he was just "another piece" in their machine.  Normally when a "good" player leaves a decent side, they feel a bit of an impact but as of now, Brighton are actually stronger than last season without Cucurella in the side. 

Even young Colwill has looked better than Cucurella in that Brighton lineup when he has played (no wonder why Brighton originally wanted him on a permanent transfer as part of the Cucurella deal, they could of easily sold him for a nice 15-20 million profit). 

Best case scenario is we get a component manager in charge and maybe like Kepa, Cucurella has a decent season and we can sell him off for a decent fee the following season. 

7 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

From memory, Maatsen was keen on a squad role at Chelsea but Tuchel declined and preferred that he go out on a loan.  

As for Cucurella, he really wasn't that good for Brighton, he was just "another piece" in their machine.  Normally when a "good" player leaves a decent side, they feel a bit of an impact but as of now, Brighton are actually stronger than last season without Cucurella in the side. 

Even young Colwill has looked better than Cucurella in that Brighton lineup when he has played (no wonder why Brighton originally wanted him on a permanent transfer as part of the Cucurella deal, they could of easily sold him for a nice 15-20 million profit). 

Best case scenario is we get a component manager in charge and maybe like Kepa, Cucurella has a decent season and we can sell him off for a decent fee the following season. 

I tend to remember though the clamouring to upgrade on Alonso because the drop off from Ben to him was huge.

That is why I can see why Cucurella was a preferred option because he had looked pretty good for Brighton. Where as Maatsen had maybe played 1 year in league and 1 year in the championship. No brainer really. 

Also because City wanted MC, again, a lot of people here were saying he would be a great signing. 

Just shows how fickle football fans can be - be careful what you wish for….

well I think chilwell make a mystake making the fault 

tbh game was in 58'min and there would be plenty of time to real score the second goal that they did and I don't know if Rodrygo would score from that distance

it was a hard mistake 

Impulse, nothing more and it comes with experience, I’d of done the same thing if I were in Ben’s position. Hindsight is always 20/20 but ultimately Cu shouldn’t have just watch a ball go over his head before sprinting, Ben would have got a yellow.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...