21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

12 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Why is Dest considered an option? As I checked, he seldom played in the left side for Barca, hardly ever for Ajax.

Emerson and Digne are OK options, but maybe we should take the risk and try out Maatsen who can step up and turn out to be a real deal, like James or Mount did coming from Champo.

Interesting points there abt Maatsen. Emerson had been very inconsistent inconsistent during his time here.

Dest can play both right and left wb.

On 23/12/2021 at 23:53, OhForAGreavsie said:

Isn't it amazing how much better a player gets when he's out injured and can't play? Anyway I agree with you; if we sign a left back it needs to be an upgrade on both of our current options.

People just dont like Alonso. I am happy with Ben performances this season but your comment made me analyze a bit and yes he played this season during our easy fixtures run. He was good but...

In season and a half Chilwell had just one goal contribution g/a against any top10 team in the league. This season his only assist came after corner.

We should only compare to the rivals and Robertson and Cancelo are ahead in offensive output plus they play LB not LWB. So, from LWB in our system offensive play is more important than defensive part.

I also dont think there is much we can do on the market, there are not many good LB/LWBs. Short term option is probably the best at the moment. 

Digne is great option but this season he slowed down not sure why and I can suggest Kostic who from LW last couple of years specialized this LWB role and is delivering assists for fun. But he cannot play LB.

Also I would not close eyes on CHO/Pulisic taking this place for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, maxlev said:

Can this Maatsen guy do well in the premier league as he is doing in Championship?

Dest is poor defensively from the matches I have watched him and we should remember what happens to poor defensive fullbacks in the premier league. Well he can instantly improve and play like Trent-Arnorld.

I prefer we highly consider going for Digne on loan as we won't have an assured great lwb(s) available in January. Atleast he knows the premier league and can regain his form back. He is a balanced kind of lwb.

I think experimenting with Maatsen was okay if he was backup to Chilwell. We need a serious upgrade on Alonso to become first choice now. No choice but to go into the market.

Lucas Digne? No thanks. Has been shite for 18 months now

I get the need for a LWB or for some people I can see there is a sheer dislike/they dont value Alonso but that doesn’t mean every Tom, Dick or Harry is the correct answer. Particularly one who now cannot get into the Everton team (who sit 15th by the way) ahead of a CB who couldn’t get into the starting 11 ahead of their other CBs. 

I think it would make more sense to go elsewhere or if it comes to it, recall Emerson or Matsen. 

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Lucas Digne? No thanks. Has been shite for 18 months now

I get the need for a LWB or for some people I can see there is a sheer dislike/they dont value Alonso but that doesn’t mean every Tom, Dick or Harry is the correct answer. Particularly one who now cannot get into the Everton team (who sit 15th by the way) ahead of a CB who couldn’t get into the starting 11 ahead of their other CBs. 

I think it would make more sense to go elsewhere or if it comes to it, recall Emerson or Matsen. 

You need to remember that Alonso is the Talk Chelsea whipping boy.

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

if it comes to it, recall Emerson or Matsen. 

Given that it seems to have been established that Emerson isn't any kind of an answer, I'd say go bold and go for Ian. Not that I'm saying Ian is ready to be a long term answer but if it's a choice between those two I'd prefer the Dutchman.

16 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Given that it seems to have been established that Emerson isn't any kind of an answer, I'd say go bold and go for Ian. Not that I'm saying Ian is ready to be a long term answer but if it's a choice between those two I'd prefer the Dutchman.

Maatsen plays the same way as Lamptey. They have a similar rapid style of play.

On 30/12/2021 at 11:19, OhForAGreavsie said:

Max, I don't know it as a fact but I suspect that I've watched Ian Maatsen play, live and on telly, more often than anyone else on this forum.

Alright! So based on your assessment, do you think he is good enough to compete consistently with Alonso?

5 hours ago, maxlev said:

Alright! So based on your assessment, do you think he is good enough to compete consistently with Alonso?

As I said in the comment to which you originally replied, I don't think Ian s ready but if it's a choice between recalling him or Emerson, I vote Ian. I get there by asking  the same question you have in respect of each player; is he good enough. In Ian's case my answer is, "Maybe not. Certainly not now.",  whereas in Emerson's case my answer is a flat, "No". Since maybe is better than no, I choose Ian of the two but I would prefer a different solution.

17 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

As I said in the comment to which you originally replied, I don't think Ian s ready but if it's a choice between recalling him or Emerson, I vote Ian. I get there by asking  the same question you have in respect of each player; is he good enough. In Ian's case my answer is, "Maybe not. Certainly not now.",  whereas in Emerson's case my answer is a flat, "No". Since maybe is better than no, I choose Ian of the two but I would prefer a different solution.

We should just pick Digne on loan.

10 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I mean if Theo Hernandez is available for 60 million and AC Milan are willing to sell....I think it's a no brainer. 

That is if the funds are available of course. 

I strongly doubt Ac milan would sell one of their most valuable squad member at this time of the season, at which they are competing steadily for the league title and champions league places.

• 4 months later...

What was the timeline for his return? Can we expect him to be ready for the new season? I have seen some pictures this week that he was training with the reserved outside.

The other question obviously is how affecting the injury will be on him.

19 minutes ago, Milan said:

What was the timeline for his return? Can we expect him to be ready for the new season? I have seen some pictures this week that he was training with the reserved outside.

The other question obviously is how affecting the injury will be on him.

I would assume he'll be ready for pre season if he's already outside doing some ball work on his own.

I could be wrong but I think I read a while ago that what the club did delaying his surgery for the injury he had was a positive and should aid him in his recovery.

Ultimately though we need a genuine option to compete with him, especially if Alonso moves on. I like the idea of Perisic on a free, it sounds an incredibly smart signing for the short term.