21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

10 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

I personally avoid Dest, decent going forward but an absolute disaster when defending.

And yet this system demands attacking fullbacks over defensive ones. Makes no sense we spent the majority of last summer going after Hakimi when he is bang average defensively. 

I'd prefer Dest for the simple fact he has a good attacking output and can play either LWB or RWB. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Everton who are historically a nightmare to deal with are happy to hand him to us on loan?

Red flag right there.

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

Yes, apparently according to few Everton fans Digne hasn't been the same since his last injury.

Everton still need to comply with FFP. Digne is their joint highest earner on 120kpw. 

6 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

And yet this system demands attacking fullbacks over defensive ones. Makes no sense we spent the majority of last summer going after Hakimi when he is bang average defensively. 

I'd prefer Dest for the simple fact he has a good attacking output and can play either LWB or RWB. 

Dest won't be bad if he isn't a starter, but now with Chilwell out we need a starter material or our season could be over.

58 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

No guarantee Chilwell comes back the same player. 

After the nightmares we endured with an injured Essien getting injured again following surgery., I'm inclined to agree.

Club should probably consider going all out on a good left back sooner rather than later. Else we'll be taking next season for a gamble as well just hoping he returns to good physical form as well as good footballing form.

27 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Dest won't be bad if he isn't a starter, but now with Chilwell out we need a starter material or our season could be over.

Who available in January is starter material? If the club does have someone in mind then we are best recalling either Maatsen or Emerson for the rest of the season. 

On 24/12/2021 at 03:35, Mário César said:

Expected to return against Tottenham.

On 24/12/2021 at 05:19, Mário César said:

"Chelsea medical staff are hoping that Ben Chilwell could return for the Tottenham match on January 23 after responding well to ACL physiotherapy,"

Great source...

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Everton who are historically a nightmare to deal with are happy to hand him to us on loan?

Red flag right there.

Everton reportedly want Barkley on loan. So...

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

No guarantee Chilwell comes back the same player. 

Maybe but Azpi and Rudiger, for example, had ACL injury before in their career and they bounced back strongly. 

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

After the nightmares we endured with an injured Essien getting injured again following surgery., I'm inclined to agree.

But didn't Essien have multiple ACL injuries which effectively ruined him? This is only one with Chilwell and I believe he'll still be fine after surgery. 

Why is Dest considered an option? As I checked, he seldom played in the left side for Barca, hardly ever for Ajax.

Emerson and Digne are OK options, but maybe we should take the risk and try out Maatsen who can step up and turn out to be a real deal, like James or Mount did coming from Champo.

56 minutes ago, Jase said:

Maybe but Azpi and Rudiger, for example, had ACL injury before in their career and they bounced back strongly. 

This is only one with Chilwell and I believe he'll still be fine after surgery. 

There is no guarantee considering there are many factors to consider. Benjamin Mendy became literally half the player he was after his initial ACL tear and suffered multiple injuries before his second knee injury. 

The main issue is that the surgery itself changes the overall mechanics of your body, which can attribute to other muscular injuries moving forward. It is all dependent on how the body reacts to the change.  If it is a patellar graft, Chilwell has a risk of suffering more knee injuries in the future. If it is a hamstring graft, Chilwell has a risk of losing his pace and will have loads of macular imbalances in his thigh in the long run. 

8 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

There is no guarantee considering there are many factors to consider. Benjamin Mendy became literally half the player he was after his initial ACL tear and suffered multiple injuries before his second knee injury. 

Never said it was a guarantee. Merely pointing out examples of players who recovered well from an ACL injury. And I have faith he will be fine...

2 minutes ago, Jase said:

Never said it was a guarantee. Merely pointing out examples of players who recovered well from an ACL injury. And I have faith he will be fine...

I wish I can share that same optimism but for the sake of the club I don't think it's wise to gamble whether or not Chilwell can return to form... As someone alluded to, (I believe it was Greavsie), the club should look to find a replacement for Alonso. One that is either level or even better than Chilwell. 

9 hours ago, Jase said:

But didn't Essien have multiple ACL injuries which effectively ruined him? This is only one with Chilwell and I believe he'll still be fine after surgery. 

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Even after surgery and recovery, it wasn't too long before he suffered a ligament injury on the same knee. 

Anyway. Just hoping the Chillwell situation is closer to Azpi than Essien.

Can this Maatsen guy do well in the premier league as he is doing in Championship?

Dest is poor defensively from the matches I have watched him and we should remember what happens to poor defensive fullbacks in the premier league. Well he can instantly improve and play like Trent-Arnorld.

I prefer we highly consider going for Digne on loan as we won't have an assured great lwb(s) available in January. Atleast he knows the premier league and can regain his form back. He is a balanced kind of lwb.