21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

So far the best purchase of the season for us. Excellent contribution in both directions. fast, good in the air, working hard and so on. 

If he can keep this up over a season, we have a very good (and still improving) LB for the next decade. 

13 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Defensively million times better than what I have seen from him last season

He's been similarly good for most of his career so far. Many Chelsea fans only started paying any attention to him once he got linked with the club and that was around the same time he (and whole Leicester team) lost form.

Before he signed I was saying not to judge him too harshly on the latest performances when his whole team were playing badly and instead look at the bigger picture. Still early days but he already looks a huge improvement on what we had before. 

He's been similarly good for most of his career so far. Many Chelsea fans only started paying any attention to him once he got linked with the club and that was around the same time he (and whole Leicester team) lost form.
Before he signed I was saying not to judge him too harshly on the latest performances when his whole team were playing badly and instead look at the bigger picture. Still early days but he already looks a huge improvement on what we had before. 
Yes, you were right. But we still have to see how he handles Man City or United. But judging from his recent performances, he should do fine.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Seems people here forgot that he was awesome for much of last season at Leicester. Said it numerous times before we signed him that it was dumb to judge his form towards the end of last year when the entire team went to shit and collapsed.

When fit and in form he's the 2nd best LB in the league.

I hope we soon get to start seeing Pulisic on the left with Chilwell so we can get the best out of both of them. Doesn't look quite as dangerous with Mount over there because Mason isn't the type to go wide and run at defenders in the way CP is.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Seems people here forgot that he was awesome for much of last season at Leicester. Said it numerous times before we signed him that it was dumb to judge his form towards the end of last year when the entire team went to shit and collapsed.

When fit and in form he's the 2nd best LB in the league.

I hope we soon get to start seeing Pulisic on the left with Chilwell so we can get the best out of both of them. Doesn't look quite as dangerous with Mount over there because Mason isn't the type to go wide and run at defenders in the way CP is.

I'll admit I was a detractor but that was mainly due to his habit of being caught out of position and his defendingone on one. I will need to see him play a few games against top teams before I can say this definitely not a problem but going forward I have been impressed. As ever with Chelsea signings I am against, happy to be proven wrong. 

I'm not surprised at all. He was always a good player. In fact I was hoping he would go up a level if he came here similarly to Walker at City. People seemed to think he was awful because he had a bad game vs Mahrez when he was isolated for most of that game. Also Leicester fans for some reason had him as their scapegoat for their defensive woes.

Hes better defensively that I thought he was. Positioned himself well multiple times when he had to watch the winger and fullback by himself. Didnt rush in and slowed the game up enough for the rest of the team to recover.

I was chuffed when I saw that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Fernando said:

And he was the player that Lampard really wanted and many where bashing Lampard because he wanted him. 

Now they are made to realize that they was wrong. 

So maybe they are also wrong about Rice. If Lampard wants him like Chillwell then go for him. 

It is maybe lampard's greatest strength to identify and persuade players to sign. This is why even if he is an average coach, he can be an asset to the club in a management capacity.

All other coaches have had quite a few terrible targets, esp Mourinho and Conte with their obsession of  physical workhorses. for Lampard signings you definitely see what how talented they are.

Chilwell indeed always was known for his offensive prowess buti really was surprised by how perceptive and proactive he is defensively. Also a lot stronger and better in the air than he looks. If Rice has the same impact and also outperforms my expectation once he joins next summer which is a given if Lampard stays I guess, I can actually see the 4-2-31 working at some point

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

It is maybe lampard's greatest strength to identify and persuade players to sign. This is why even if he is an average coach, he can be an asset to the club in a management capacity.

All other coaches have had quite a few terrible targets, esp Mourinho and Conte with their obsession of  physical workhorses. for Lampard signings you definitely see what how talented they are.

Chilwell indeed always was known for his offensive prowess buti really was surprised by how perceptive and proactive he is defensively. Also a lot stronger and better in the air than he looks. If Rice has the same impact and also outperforms my expectation once he joins next summer which is a given if Lampard stays I guess, I can actually see the 4-2-31 working at some point

If Lamps doesnt work out as a manager here I would love to have him as DOF, he would be immense there.

I am not surprised he is already proving people wrong. I have always been vocal that he is going to be a huge upgrade and the criticism he was getting was way OTT. Like I said last season, he for majority of the season was good. Leicester then got injuries and also their form dropped off but he was singled out, however I think people are forgetting that he is only 23 and in the whole aspect of things, he still is improving which is even better for us. Like I pointed out before the matches he played for England he has been very good. I watched him a lot at Leicester last season and I love the way, similar to Robertson that he bombards down the left flank. We have missed that for years. Also he made a few defensive errors for Leicester but people made it out as if he was on Bosingwa's level of defending which was never the case. We have arguable got England's future two FB in our team for the next decade.

I've not been surprised by him because I knew he can produce, and so far he is been spot on. His so many levels above Alonso and Emerson it's scary, we have been so used to mediocrity and even as far back as people like Zappacosta and Bakayokos etc. It's now more apparent because the quality we are bringing in is actually that, quality.

The left and right side of defence is sorted for years barring any major issues, him and Reece will tie it down and kick on.

Offensively he has made a huge difference. You can see the difference. Defensively he is better than Alonso and Emerson but I still think and am unsure if it is down to the system or him as an individual he can do better. Against Southampton he was out of position and there were times he looked unaware of players going into that area he is meant to be covering. I think when the team shape improves (well I am hoping it will but have been for about 9 months now) that it will limit these but defensively he can still do better. As he can offensively but that side I am much more happy with. I think now for 45-50m, instead of the original 80 they quoted, he looks like he will be a very good investment in the long run. He was a lot more solid v Seville than he looked v Southampton though. Which is promising as they are a better standard of team. But the whole team also was at times.