21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

This is Lampard we're talking about, freezing out in his language is two months in the naughty corner then return with a purple patch.

Also if we're going to do the customary 3atb vs Spurs in a fortnight, then Alonso can come in useful.

I have a feeling we will drop the 3atb strategy against Spurs this time around.

In fact, I thought we would have abandoned it (but didnt) when we played them in the league cup. Mourinho seems to expect it these days, and he countered by playing 3atb himself during the league cup.

If our best back 4 is fully fit, I don't see a need to revert to a 3atb formation 

4 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

The worst ist they now have packed 3 games into the 2 week int break instead of the usual 2 in a season where there is nothing to qualify. just this pathetic nations league. i would renuinely consider resigning from int duty as a player with this BS as long as they are exploited like this. I mean do not even know anyone who watches these deadrubber tinpot competiiton. It is completely worthless.

Players aren't fans, we may find international breaks boring but for them playing for their country is the holy grail.

Infact look at Thiago Silva, he's practically admitted the next world cup is the main thing that is keeping him so heavily motivated at this point.

Called it. The internationals are at fault that we wont be competing for titles this season. we dont have the quality in depth.

Chilwell is one of the holy trinity. With all of them fit we can beat anybody but as soon as one is out (or more likely too as silva will probably be rested), the rest collapses.

How so...

We don't even know the outcome yet. If he misses one game how is the internationals the reason we won't be competing. We have benefited if anything due to the injuries some of our big rivals have suffered.

Now if hes out for the season then you'd have a point. But I'm 99 percent sure it's not that serious of an injury. So maybe 1 game without Chilwell isn't gonna be the reason we win or don't win the title.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Chilwell has trained for England today so seems the injury and substitution were more precautionary.

Hopefully Southgate doesn't feel the need to risk him this week and then he's fully fit for us at the weekend.

We need to go start a riot outside Wembley if Southgate risks him in a stupid dead rubber match! :rant:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Started every game for us since late September. Definitely number one player who needs rest. Has not be at his best last couple of games. Today is a big game so I expect him to play but very soon he should be left out.

I'd rather leave him out today than vs Leeds which is a demanding fixture. Leeds create chances like a top 4 team

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Exactly what I was saying in some of the past match threads - Chelsea can't win them all, but at least maintain the unbeaten run, some draws now and then are just fine, especially if it's in big matches. This gives you confidence and gives you the upper hand over your opponents before matches knowing they go against a team that others have failed to beat before.

It is what happed with Liverpool last season, they were riding a phenomenal wave of confidence, even when they were crap by their standards, still were looking untouchable. That's what the confidence and momentum and an unbeaten run give you.