• Emerson
    • Kante
    • Kovacic
    • Barkley
    • Mount
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Abraham
    • Giroud (sub)

Reading these last few pages, I honestly feel I have stepped into RAWK or something. Do we need to improve as a team defensively? Yes. Does SFL need to make some adjustments? Yes. Does SFL deserve to be sacked? No. 

Honestly, what were people actually expecting from this season? My expectation was 6th and maybe a semi finalist in one of the domestic cups. CL has been about par. For me, SFL has exceeded expectations. 

Also, lets look at the team. For around three years prior to this, our team was essentially pass of Hazard and hope he does some magic. Where we defensively better? Yes. However, that was due to Hazard taking on all the responsibility by himself. 

Then lets look at the players. In the back line Dave is the only one were you can say he would certainly play for another top 4 team. James is a good prospect that would also play as a rotation option. Alonso in a LWB position would also play but would be primarily a LB2. After that the rest are questionable. The problem however, seems to be some people built these players up (I have ever rated any of them bar AC (who I think is just overawed by the physical challenge in the PL.) The rest are at best squad filler and in Kepa's and Emerson's case, they do not deserve to be here. 

In CM, you then have problems with the make up rather than the quality per se. Jorgi requires a very specific system, Kante doesn't really fit SFL's system, RLC is always injured and Barkley isn't good enough. 

AM - CHO and Puli hit with injuries, Willian being Willian, Pedro on his last legs. 

CF - Tammy not good enough yet (maybe never will be). Batsh*t, no understanding of the offside trap (proven under multiple managers). Giroud, limited but effective. To be fair, shouldn't have been frozen out. 

For me, the only real questionable things SFL has done is freeze Giroud out and sell Luiz (who was our best CB.) 

2 hours ago, Mana said:

Reminder that Klopp actually managed for years in Dortmund (with trophies prior) before coming to Liverpool. You knew that? Then stop comparing. I'm tired of people covering up excuses and pointing to something else irrelevant.

If it's all about what they've done before, why didn't we just reappoint Jose or even stick by him when 15/16 happened?

6 minutes ago, Mana said:

We already reappointed Jose.

It’s not all about what they’ve done before, it’s about thinking SFL is the next Klopp. There is no evidence to support that in the next 4 years, Lampard will become Klopp. Because Lamps story is already different than Klopp’s. It’s faith at this point. You have to believe. And right now, I don’t.

I do believe however Lamps has taken a step forward in attacking areas. But will the whole picture be enough. Will he improve his defensive tactics after being stubborn about it all season.

I'm talking about last summer when he was available.

The reason why the comparison to Klopp is made is because Liverpool's early Klopp teams bare similar resemblence, promising attacking plays and some excellent games which pointed at an excellent projected end product but didn't have the consistency or defensive nous in the side to trouble any of the big ones and it led to many games where they dominate yet still drop points.

There's no guarantee Frank will make the same jump into a title winning side but for a first season it's quite a similar situation in the sense that there's a lot of riddling inconsistencies but when they projected end product games have come about we've been a match for anyone as our performances Vs City and 3/4 of them Vs Liverpool show.

I'm talking about last summer when he was available.
The reason why the comparison to Klopp is made is because Liverpool's early Klopp teams bare similar resemblence, promising attacking plays and some excellent games which pointed at an excellent projected end product but didn't have the consistency or defensive nous in the side to trouble any of the big ones and it led to many games where they dominate yet still drop points.
There's no guarantee Frank will make the same jump into a title winning side but for a first season it's quite a similar situation in the sense that there's a lot of riddling inconsistencies but when they projected end product games have come about we've been a match for anyone as our performances Vs City and 3/4 of them Vs Liverpool show.
All good points of course. The difference between Klopp and Lampard is that we know that Klopp can build a team that has a great attack with a good enough defence prior to coming to Liverpool.

Lampard's been a coach for 2 years and the defence has been shocking in both. Either lampard can coach a team well off the ball or he can't. If he can, when we get better defenders and a gk we'll see it won't we?

The question that need to be asked is how much responsibility goes down to poor players and how much goes down to poor management.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We didnt have a world class team in a long long time but even then we managed to keep these results respectable. Like 2012 or psg games. 

We were realy special and our mentality, defense it was all super solid.

Last couple years we realy arent anything special anymore. Messi scored against us, SB is more a joke than a fortress these days. 

I remember thinking, ok we arent winnig titles all the time but when moments come, we never get humiliated like arsenal or spuds or even bayern/barca in those two seasons. 

It still had pride and soul, this club. But its just gone now. 

Hopefuly this next era will bring much joy too.

1 hour ago, Supermonkey92 said:

All good points of course. The difference between Klopp and Lampard is that we know that Klopp can build a team that has a great attack with a good enough defence prior to coming to Liverpool.

Lampard's been a coach for 2 years and the defence has been shocking in both. Either lampard can coach a team well off the ball or he can't. If he can, when we get better defenders and a gk we'll see it won't we?

The question that need to be asked is how much responsibility goes down to poor players and how much goes down to poor management.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Not sure it matter at this point to be honest. Having a klopp cv will probably keep Lamp in the job longer if somehow we struggle next season but as long we are doing well, lamp will be fine. 

In term of defense, I have concern on many level, but mostly on personel. We have direct attacker, confuse midfield combination, ok backline, and horrible gk. It is not a good combination. 

3 hours ago, killer1257 said:

What amazes me is that Lampard used one of 5 potential substitutions lol.

Yep it is crazy. Basically a friendly game and he did not gave a chance to some of the youth and he is so called pro youth manager.

9 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

Did Klopp or pep change their systems from their first seasons? Or did better defenders which suited their system make the team better?

Wrong comparison. Obviously better players will improve the defense but even with inferior players, Liverpool has a pressing system that we simply do not match. .

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Wrong comparison. Obviously better players will improve the defense but even with inferior players, Liverpool has a pressing system that we simply do not match. .

I think our pressing is quite. I remember us going toe toe with Liverpool in uefa super Cup or the game at bridge as well as the fa cup tie. 

Some games we just seem to be confused regarding how much to commit. For eg - arsenal, which can end up with us being in a no man zone. 

Also, honestly don't feel its a wrong comparison even if the systems are not same. I mean pool's and city's systems were not the same but their story is the same. Personnel matching the system required by the manager helps the team.

Currently we have 2 Conte LWBs who should not be starting for us, zouma who will be a great defender in a low block system, AC who should fit the system perfectly but just can't cope with the PL physicality. I honestly think better personnel, would result in a much better defensive unit.

13 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-believes-liverpool-will-win-the-title-in-the-next-four-years-and-describes-himself-as-a6687446.html%3famp

The current best manager of the current best team on the planet. 

He wanted 4 years, but we have judged our manager and players, who widely had a successful season as not good enough, after just one. 

GG guys, GG

Liverpool is NOT the best team on the planet atm, they have went into a tailspin for months, and that was with no serious key injuries

started in mid february when they barely beat the worst team in the league 1 nil, on a late Mane goal

then these were there next 13 games

5 wins, 6 losses, 2 draws

61de4d63664b77c1708e7720971110b3.pngc9a0510902fdb577d91131783fdda720.png

1d7935c8d0c8423e1c96657afc95d75c.png

yes, they did finish up winning the last 2, but that is SO not a run of the best team on the planet

we just played the best team on the planet atm (for months and months), Bayern

the last time Bayern lost a game was over 8 months ago now

27 wins, zero losses, 1 draw (nil nil to RB Leipzig in February)

105 goals scored, 25 conceded in their last 33 games, since the beginning of November

and all that has been with them having massive key injuries, including basically missing both their starting CB's for a huge chunk of the season (Niklas Süle 642 league minutes, Lucas Hernandez 912)

take away VVD and Gomez from the scouser scum for 75 to 85% of their games

lol, Matip and Lovren

they would be battling spuds and Wolves to sneak in the EL, especially if their front 3 Ferraris missed as many games as Bayern's forwards have

Lewa was out 5 games, Gnabry 6, Perisic 15, Coman 14, Coutinho 12

ALL YEAR Firmino missed zero games due to injury

Salah 1

Mane 2

Origi 2

do you really think that level will hold??? lolol

29 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Liverpool is NOT the best team on the planet atm, they have went into a tailspin for months, and that was with no serious key injuries

started in mid february when they barely beat the worst team in the league 1 nil, on a late Mane goal

then these were there next 13 games

5 wins, 6 losses, 2 draws

61de4d63664b77c1708e7720971110b3.pngc9a0510902fdb577d91131783fdda720.png

1d7935c8d0c8423e1c96657afc95d75c.png

yes, they did finish up winning the last 2, but that is SO not a run of the best team on the planet

we just played the best team on the planet atm (for months and months), Bayern

the last time Bayern lost a game was over 8 months ago now

27 wins, zero losses, 1 draw (nil nil to RB Leipzig in February)

105 goals scored, 25 conceded in their last 33 games, since the beginning of November

and all that has been with them having massive key injuries, including basically missing both their starting CB's for a huge chunk of the season (Niklas Süle 642 league minutes, Lucas Hernandez 912)

take away VVD and Gomez from the scouser scum for 75 to 85% of their games

lol, Matip and Lovren

they would be battling spuds and Wolves to sneak in the EL, especially if their front 3 Ferraris missed as many games as Bayern's forwards have

Lewa was out 5 games, Gnabry 6, Perisic 15, Coman 14, Coutinho 12

Firmino missed zero games due to injury

Salah 1

Mane 2

Orogi 2

do you really think that level will hold??? lolol

Most of the games in your sample size are AFTER they won the league.

Bayern were so poor less than a year ago that they needed to fire their manager.

Recency bias aside and based on a significant sample size of 2/3 seasons, we have a CL final, a CL win and one of the best ever campaigns by any PL team. Last time Bayern were in a CL final, it was in 2013. 

Not dissing on Bayern, they are a great team (obviously), and one of the best, but pool have been the best team on the planet for a couple of years.