Super Frank Thread

3 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

We dont need to slow anything down mate, just be more solid and be better in possession.

We do. That is one of our problem against Leicester. We created chances through our pressing. That is good but you can't do that for 90 min, you will be knackered. 

You need to have period of time where you can retain the ball in opponent half for extended period of time. 

3 minutes ago, communicate said:

We do. That is one of our problem against Leicester. We created chances through our pressing. That is good but you can't do that for 90 min, you will be knackered. 

You need to have period of time where you can retain the ball in opponent half for extended period of time. 

I agree.....but Willy is sadly not the answer for me. The dude cant take 1 fucking corner to save his life and you want him to slow the game down? Sorry mate he wont and cant......not this Willy anyway.

Lampard is getting bent by us not having a proper striker. Giroud, Tammy and Bats are just horrible choices for any top 6 team, let alone one that is going to play Champions League. With a striker, we'd probably have won against Liverpool and got 3 points against Leicester. The team can create all they want, but if there is nobody to put shots away, it won't matter. If Tammy doesn't come good big time this season (and I doubt he will), our upmost priority has to be a striker.

28 minutes ago, manpe said:

Lampard is getting bent by us not having a proper striker. Giroud, Tammy and Bats are just horrible choices for any top 6 team, let alone one that is going to play Champions League. With a striker, we'd probably have won against Liverpool and got 3 points against Leicester. The team can create all they want, but if there is nobody to put shots away, it won't matter. If Tammy doesn't come good big time this season (and I doubt he will), our upmost priority has to be a striker.

True but on the other hand, since scoring is already a big issue for us, we should at least make sure we are defensively solid, so that we can get away with some narrow 1-0, 2-1 wins etc. But we aren't defending well and have to score at least 2-3 goals each game to win, which isn't ideal at all.

You remove Kante and we have zero star power......all our rivals have more than 1 ( thx a bunch board )

Should we be overly surprised? No

Let’s not play down how big a transition this season is. It’s a huge task he’s undertaking.

We’ve got a brand new centre back pairing who need game time to develop an understanding. A new shape to our midfield. Youthful talents of Pulisic , Mount, Abraham being entrusted with large minutes of playing time.

It’s early days, now is not the time to judge Lampard or these players, especially those playing their first full seasons for Chelsea.

And I know im like a broken record with this but the Club has really fucked up.......we are not an elite Club as long as we are run like the last few seasons. Its their fault we have such a squad, their fault we have the ban, their fault we have no fucking kiillers nevermind a decent striker. So you see, Lamps have one tough job.......lets hope they all pull through.

4 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

No he won't. Any other achievement? Top4 is over achievement this season. Frank won't be sacked even if he finish 11th. 

4 hours ago, communicate said:

As long as we are not in or close to relegation zone, Lamp won't be sacked 

For example, something like LDDLDDLLDDLLL happened. He will be gone for sure. You guys overestimating our boards. I'm shocked.

12 minutes ago, RoyalBlues said:

For example, something like LDDLDDLLDDLLL. He will be gone for sure.

Fuck I hope that does not happen, them players better show us something, and they will. I see Lamps as a splendid motivator.....we will do ok, just wipe any top4 hopes. But man if we dont see a huge spending come summer, if we dont back his ass, I mean if everton wolves etc can spend over 100M, why cant we spend at least twice that?

Gary Nevill on Sky Sports tonight...

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-frank-lampard-gary-neville-16781990

"It was a difficult week with Man United, the Super Cup final and obviously now Leicester, who are a good opponent, at Stamford Bridge.

"What I would say is that having watched the game last week and watched the game yesterday afternoon, Chelsea were a lot stronger in the first half. And he’s trying to, if you like, completely change the culture of Chelsea.

"You think about the last three managers Chelsea have had in Jose Mourinho, Conte and Sarri - methodical, rigid in terms of their approach in the sense that they were very, very set in how they would play and very fixed on that in terms of the principles and values that they have.

"Conte, you could see the patterns of play all the time. Sarri, it was exactly the same last year. The criticism of Sarri at Chelsea was that he was always the exact same. Jose was always more compact. He was always talking about more compact, even last week in the studio.

"What Frank’s trying to do, that you can see in the first couple of weeks, is be really progressive, fluid, attacking, play more on the front foot. It’s the most I’ve ever seen a Chelsea team press. They pressed from the front last week for 25 minutes. They pressed yesterday for part of the game - Mason Mount’s goal was from that.

"But to ask the team to go from where they’ve been and ask the group of players to go from where they’ve been to be where he actually wants them to be, there is going to be a little bit of pain on the way. We’re seeing that early bit of pain."

59 minutes ago, RoyalBlues said:

For example, something like LDDLDDLLDDLLL happened. He will be gone for sure. You guys overestimating our boards. I'm shocked.

Probably which would be so silly. They knew the signing situation.. They knew his lack of experience so how they can expect miracles which they probably will. Just hope he's given a window to add his touch! 

'It's like watching a basketball game... they have got no organisation in possession': Jamie Carragher critical of Chelsea's style under Frank Lampard

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7372829/Jamie-Carragher-SLAMS-Chelseas-start-season-singles-shocking-Willian.html

Everybody thought David Moyes would get time at Manchester United .It was the logical road to travel. He had a six-year contract, he had the support of the club's sage, Sir Alex Ferguson, and he had Ferguson's shoes to fill, too. It was always going to be tricky for the first man in, but United had a recent history of giving managers time.

He lasted just over nine months.

The lesson here is do not presume. This is the Premier League , 2019. The idea that reason, or fair play, will prevail is quaintly nostalgic. All rational thought might suggest  Frank Lampard has two seasons, at least, to shape  Chelsea given the club's present predicament.

He has a transfer ban, he has lost the best player, he is the first coach truly engaging with the youth policy and Chelsea's current squad is a pale imitation of what went before. Plus, Lampard is a local hero and a novice manager.

Roman Abramovich has never appointed one so raw, so young, or so English. Any cogent analysis of the situation would conclude that Lampard must be indulged, even if his Chelsea team slide into mid-table.

Yet that would require senior club officials taking responsibility for a share of the crisis, and that is why Lampard, like Moyes, is not safe.

Subsequent United managers have discovered where the buck stops these days. Not upstairs. United's recruitment in Moyes's first summer was poor. The team he inherited from Ferguson needed reshaping and there was no department empowered to deliver that process. It was left to Moyes, who became overwhelmed.

Yet to admit this, to continue with the manager beyond one disappointing season, would be an admission of guilt. Far easier to make a decision that heaps the blame on his shoulders, and make a change, a complete reversal, as if Moyes was the mistake, not the system around him.

That is what the appointment of Louis van Gaal did for United's executives. It suggested it was the selection of Moyes — a manager whose teams had never challenged for titles, and whose players were not of elite status — that was flawed, and the introduction of a stellar coach like Van Gaal could resolve this. 

or the same reason, one imagines if Lampard's tenure does not work out, his successor will not be a young, English manager from a lower division or lesser club. If this doesn't work, John Terry will not get a look in for decades.

For while Lampard is a coach who is not afraid to give youth its chance, Chelsea's problems are not of his making.

He was not involved in the narrative that saw Eden Hazard depart to Real Madrid, he did not buy any of the first-team squad, he was not linked to the skulduggery around youth registration that resulted in the transfer ban. Equally, if his team is callow, this is the path Chelsea's hierarchy has been urging managers along for many years now. The club's spin on youth involvement is that the executive management is all for it, but successive managers were resistant.

If Lampard does not last in his present role, we will know why. Chelsea's managers have come second, third, lost a Champions League final, won a Champions League final, and still got sacked. No wonder they have interpreted the message from above as more Mickey Spillane than Mickey and the Gang.

Chelsea are a hard-boiled club and youth development is a revenue stream, not a philosophy that impacts on first-team plans.

And then came the transfer ban — just at a time when Chelsea were most in need of rebuilding. This is the job Lampard has inherited and it is much closer in size to Moyes at United in 2013 than the traditional lot at Stamford Bridge.

Someone has messed up and it isn't Lampard. Do not imagine, though, that the vanity and ego of the modern football executive will ever admit this.

If it goes wrong, hero or not, we know who will shoulder the blame.

Sir Alex left Moyes a squad full of aging deadwoods. Lampard has a squad of young, extremely talented players who only need time to show their worth. I honestly can't see much parallels between these two cases. I'd rather compare Lampard's Chelsea to Pochettino's Spurs in this regard. The only difference is that Spurs ended up at fifth position during Pochettino's first season and it was regarded as a success. Not sure if fifth place finish at the end of the season would be seen as seen as a success here despite the circumstances.

31 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

Sir Alex left Moyes a squad full of aging deadwoods. Lampard has a squad of young, extremely talented players who only need time to show their worth. I honestly can't see much parallels between these two cases. I'd rather compare Lampard's Chelsea to Pochettino's Spurs in this regard. The only difference is that Spurs ended up at fifth position during Pochettino's first season and it was regarded as a success. Not sure if fifth place finish at the end of the season would be seen as seen as a success here despite the circumstances.

Anyone, and I am going to be blunt as hell on this, anyone who would say that 5th place with this team is not a success for a first year ever topflight manager, simply, and let me be clear as crystal, does not know SHIT about football.

We lost our best player, a top 5 or so in the world talent, have a 2 window transfer ban, have pure shit for strikers, crazy injuries, and have one of the worst boards (over the last 5 years) of a top 20 team, who positively FUCKED us with shit buys, horrid sales, worse non-sales, rotten cock-ups on attempted buys, AND GOT US THE FUCKING BANS in the first place.

Every top half of the table team is improved in the EPL except us. The top 6, 7 are improved dramatically, save for the dippers. 5th place would be a success, and hopefully we can nick a trophy (League Cup or FA Cup or even better, drop down via 3rd place CL group stage and win the EL again, which gives us CL footie guaranteed next year and another shot at the Super Cup.)

21 minutes ago, communicate said:

It is pretty obvious what is our problem after 3 games, defensive transition. The solution is pretty simple, either we play Willian to slow our offense down, play another destroyer next to Kante (Bakayoko) or pray that our forward line will be clinical. 

I disagree, while it may be a ok ish short term option these sticky plaster solutions is a big part of why we're in this shit in the first place. With Pep about the league is out of reach for the next 2/3 years so we need to turn that negative into a positive and build something to compete in the long run (pragmatic quick fixes just won't cut it now).

If this is the vision Lampard has for us i'd rather go full steam ahead and take the teething process.

'It's like watching a basketball game... they have got no organisation in possession': Jamie Carragher critical of Chelsea's style under Frank Lampard
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7372829/Jamie-Carragher-SLAMS-Chelseas-start-season-singles-shocking-Willian.html
I somewhat agree.

But my main problem against Leicester was the midfield 2. They had no organisation when we had possession so when we lost it there was no barrier to Leicester waltzing up to our defence. Kante spent so much time in positions he would take last season in a three man midfield - almost on the right wing. We can't have that in a 4231.

Some defensive improvements have happened since old Trafford. Azpi for instance is staying back whilst Emerson goes forward. But that's a much more straightforward change than getting the double pivot to work well in and out of possession.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think frank solves much of the problems by choosing the same formation as last year but by continuing to give players license to get forward which cesc was clear in saying sarri stopped after that arsenal home game.

Against Liverpool we were great. Mainly because we were *balanced*.

The problem is Frank's seems pretty set on the 4231 being his style, or the formation he wants this year with these players at least. If that's how it is top 6 is in trouble, I just hope this season is sacrificed for actual progression in the next. I'm actually a bit more chipper about Frank's chances on changing things though, he's a smart guy. Get that pivot working or drop it mate!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk