Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am I the only one who gets frustrated when watching Kovacic? Unlike Jorginho, it feels Kovacic can do so much more with his talent and technical ability but he becomes so timid and almost plays within himself when we need someone to be decisive in that midfield. :doh: 

He was begging for a pass from Azpi when he was open in the middle right at the edge of box, and Azpi passed it to their keeper per the usual. Probably could have scored from there

Just now, DANILA said:

He was begging for a pass from Azpi when he was open in the middle right at the edge of box, and Azpi passed it to their keeper per the usual. Probably could have scored from there

When was this? I remember there was a situation exactly like how you described it but it's Werner who was at the edge of the box.

Just now, Jason said:

When was this? I remember there was a situation exactly like how you described it but it's Werner who was at the edge of the box.

Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure it was Kova - he also gave a lot of attitude to Azpi for not passing and Werner doesn't do that as he's new... I think it was either near the end of the first half or near the beginning of second.

Just now, DANILA said:

Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure it was Kova - he also gave a lot of attitude to Azpi for not passing and Werner doesn't do that as he's new... I think it was either near the end of the first half or near the beginning of second.

Am pretty sure it was Werner. It's in the first half right?

His progression under Frank has been frustrating at times because there are the sort of games he should be strolling and affecting. Last season he had made big steps but still feel there is more in there and you'd want to see him being decisive against inferior opposition. I don't get why Frank had left him out for a few games either, that is still lost on me.   

As mentioned above, he has got so much more to be more decisive but he isn't always. He is still a very good player but you'd like to see him score/create more chances which we did last season at times although I do think he should of had a cut back tonight from Dave. He is good at driving forward with the ball also but there's a tendency, regardless who has played in midfield this year, that we go from side to side and limit risk. Is this coming from the players or the manager or a mix of both because its not just been a Kovacic problem, its been a Jorginho problem, its been a Kante problem, its been a Mount problem. I get limiting risks in central areas as losing the ball there is huge but they also have to be a bit more brave and realize that they are good players who can play forward at times. 

51 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

He is clearly lost in a double pivot. So let us see if he gets better in a 4-3-3

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

I actually prefer Mount in the 433 over Kovacic. Because occasionally the two central midfielders need to attack and Kovacic is scared of attacking the box, even Kante is better. Mount is much better in his best position than Kova for me.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Am I the only one who gets frustrated when watching Kovacic? Unlike Jorginho, it feels Kovacic can do so much more with his talent and technical ability but he becomes so timid and almost plays within himself when we need someone to be decisive in that midfield. :doh: 

He spent too much of his development time being bench warmer in RM. 

Does anyone know what happened between him and Lampard? The fact that Jorginho is higher in the pecking order than him is mindboggling tbh. He was our best player last year, but he can't even get minutes when Kai is out.

13 minutes ago, Azul said:

Does anyone know what happened between him and Lampard? The fact that Jorginho is higher in the pecking order than him is mindboggling tbh. He was our best player last year, but he can't even get minutes when Kai is out.

David Luiz, Rüdiger, CHO and now Kovacic.

It's a Lampard thing

3 hours ago, Patrick Bamford said:

David Luiz, Rüdiger, CHO and now Kovacic.

It's a Lampard thing

I think we can split these players up into groups. 

1) Not good enough - Rudi. He has also been pretty hardcore with other players as well. AC is now completely MIA atm as well. Kepa's has not only replaced by a new No.1 but also the technical director. 3rd choice at best. 

2) People that question him - Luiz. Called him Frank instead of Gaffer and that was it. To be honest, I get the feeling Frank didn't really fancy him and was looking for an excuse. Didn't agree with this one as Luiz was key to playing 352 properly which was probably the best suited formation for last years squad. 

3) Trainers. Get the impression anyone that doesn't graft in training will be in trouble. CHO and Kova do not strike me as great trainers. 

13 hours ago, King Kante said:

I think we can split these players up into groups. 

1) Not good enough - Rudi. He has also been pretty hardcore with other players as well. AC is now completely MIA atm as well. Kepa's has not only replaced by a new No.1 but also the technical director. 3rd choice at best. 

2) People that question him - Luiz. Called him Frank instead of Gaffer and that was it. To be honest, I get the feeling Frank didn't really fancy him and was looking for an excuse. Didn't agree with this one as Luiz was key to playing 352 properly which was probably the best suited formation for last years squad. 

3) Trainers. Get the impression anyone that doesn't graft in training will be in trouble. CHO and Kova do not strike me as great trainers. 

What about Tomori, had some bad matches last season (but who hasn't?), this season he was good when given chance, yet he was frozen out, and even Rudi is ahead of him now.

I still feel despite him getting POTY and Lamps getting best out of him, he still is under-appreciated by majority of people. I still think he is our best midfielder. I am sure as time goes on though, we will see him get more minutes and his quality will shine through. 

5 hours ago, ulvhedin said:

What about Tomori, had some bad matches last season (but who hasn't?), this season he was good when given chance, yet he was frozen out, and even Rudi is ahead of him now.

Tomori has two issues which I think is why he doesn't play.

1) Short and not good in the air, unlike Silva who is short but good in the air.

2) Overplays in dangerous positions. He is probably better on the ball than both AC and Zouma but he over complicates things at times. 

49 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Tomori has two issues which I think is why he doesn't play.

1) Short and not good in the air, unlike Silva who is short but good in the air.

2) Overplays in dangerous positions. He is probably better on the ball than both AC and Zouma but he over complicates things at times. 

totally agree