Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

7 hours ago, Tomo said:

If the Spurs, Liverpool and Everton games haven't shown that Kante shouldn't be starting in this set up and we're a lot more fluent without him then hopefully the board go over his head with the decision.

I'm in the minority that feels Frank has done a fine job so far all things considered but he needs to be ruthless with Kante, knowing when a players time is up (especially one with an untouchable esque rep) is the difference between a good manager and a great one.

Its not just the midfield. Our forwards have been shit in creativity this year. Willian and Pedro are past it, Puli and Odoi had injuries, Tammy cant create. 

If we had at least two that can create on regular basis, that would help with lack of creativity from midfield and we could easily play any 3 of Kante, Jorgi, Kova, Mount. Id allow Jorginho to leave and bring DM aswell.

15 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Then we need to sell him and for that money we can buy someone who suits us. Having him on the bench would be like I said luxury. 

I see Kante as an option, as player for squad depth, as someone who can come in and do a job in specific games or situations but I don't want to see Lampard shoehorn him into the XI just because of who he is.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I see Kante as an option, as player for squad depth, as someone who can come in and do a job in specific games or situations but I don't want to see Lampard shoehorn him into the XI just because of who he is.

You don’t utilize your top earner as squad option usually tho. He is either your first starter or need to be sold. The thing is with Corona he won’t fetch the 100m he should, so maybe wait one year but then his time should be up

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

You don’t utilize your top earner as squad option usually tho. He is either your first starter or need to be sold. The thing is with Corona he won’t fetch the 100m he should, so maybe wait one year but then his time should be up

Big problem with waiting is that if you sell him in summer 2021, he is 30yo,  turns 31 around midway through the season.

Once players hit 30, 31, their market value drops like crazy, unless you are talking CR7 or Messi (and even they have dropped, just several years later)

Messi is unsaleable, no one is going to pick up his £74m per year (pre tax and it will go up again this coming season, although he is taking a HUGE pay cut due to COVID-19 this year, but that is not going to last forever) in just salary/bonuses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2019/06/18/the-worlds-highest-paid-soccer-players-2019-messi-ronaldo-and-neymar-dominate-the-sporting-world/#5065b77ab55e

For the second year in a row, Messi takes the top spot among the World’s Highest-Paid Soccer Players, with earnings of $127 million. Thanks to the contract extension he signed in November 2017 that commits him to Camp Nou through June 2021, he hauled in $92 million (£74m) in salary and bonuses before taxes, a 9.5% bump over what he made on the pitch last year.

If the season ends he is undoubtedly our player of the year for me. Not even a debate. Everyone was so sceptical of signing him but he has been the standout player for us this season and his consistency is something else. Even more so compared to the flashes we would see last year followed by weeks of poor performances, which is even more frightening when you look at his performances this season.

20 hours ago, Tomo said:

If the Spurs, Liverpool and Everton games haven't shown that Kante shouldn't be starting in this set up and we're a lot more fluent without him then hopefully the board go over his head with the decision.

We can't use that game as example since we started Pedro, willian and Giroud. The question come when we play with puli Tammy cho 

Can we still play

kova - Mount

Gilmour/Jorgi and still look good defensively

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, milka said:

Quick reminder as to why Kovačić should be Chelsea’s player of the season.

Ec2Oi__XYAU99Yw?format=jpg&name=large

Ec2OjZEXgAYvp7V?format=jpg&name=medium

Ec2OkDEWAAAZBCy?format=jpg&name=large

What utter nonsense! Since when dribbling is the defining factor in determining whether a player is the Player of the Season? :doh: 

• 2 weeks later...

lolol, on a Swedish sports show that Linnea has on, she said that the cunt Florentino Perez has Kovacic regret and wants him back!!! (Florentino tänker Madrid saknar Kovacic på nasta år meaning Perez thinks Real will miss Kova next year)

Real can go fuck themselves

I would say, (obviously in secret)

oki m8, you give us Varane, you can have Kova back, rolfmaooooooooooo (and I would even feel bad saying that, as I loves me some Mateo)

and of course, I would say, the same deal for Kante (who turns 30yo, need I remind all, in very early spring of this coming season) and be far more serious

I will try and find confirmation, as this show is known for pushing wild rumours

Kovacic is an ex Real Madrid, Champions League winner. The World Cup finalist had a fantastic 2018 campaign, who we bought for 40 million in order to initially replace RLC due to his long term injury.

Kovacic on his first season was above average , it’s fantastic for 1st season in the toughest league in the world. Us Chelsea fans has realised his ability on the ball is impeccable and his pressing is amazing. However Sarri coaching management didn’t unlock his full potential.

When Frank Lampard came in, due to his coaching management, Kovacic was a complete different player to last season as this season he literally had everything. He was a proper, proper and I repeat PROPER box to box cm, which Lampard crafted him to be.

This season Kovacic passing, vision, dribbling, tackling, driving, defending, work rate was all unlocked compared to last season. As well as that, off the ball Kovacic pressing was amazing as he put so much pressure into other teams which causes them to lose the ball.

Kovacic is the oil to the team and gets the team running due to his dribbling and driving, as ex Chelsea player Hazard carry on the ball has not been missed due to the Croatian maestro.

His also added more G/A to his name compared to last season as this season he got 2 goals and 3 assist but the dispute that Kovacic is not a stat player, you have to watch him to understand what he does for the team, as he is the definition of a pre assister.

Lampard has pushed him to another level as a midfielder to do more for the team which he has, as his been vital in important games such as the goal against Valencia as well as the 23 premier league appearances.

Kovacic deserves Chelsea’s POTY, he does so much for the team, due to his amazing work rate and giving his 100% in every game. 40 mil for this midfielder was a bargain, his one of the best midfielders in the league. Watch Kovacic with your own eyes to understand why his a baller.

mateo-kovacic-chelsea-2019-20_ifl61gpoaa

KOVACIC ON THE BEAUTY OF PLAYING FINALS AND ENDING THE SEASON WITH A TROPHY

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/07/31/mateo-kovacic-on-the-beauty-of-playing-finals-and-ending-the-sea?cardIndex=0-3

3342c37909b8d6be4d77c4d432289f1c.jpg 

Mateo Kovacic believes the progress made this season at Stamford Bridge is justification for the work put in by Frank Lampard and his players and indicates an exciting future ahead, though he insists only trophies will be the true barometer of success at a club like Chelsea.

That is why tomorrow’s Heads Up FA Cup final represents such an important opportunity for the Croatian to add domestic silverware to the Europa League title he won while on loan from Real Madrid last term.

‘It’s heading somewhere but we need to show it on the pitch in the end,’ Kovacic says about the foundations that have been laid over the past 12 months in west London.

‘We need to win titles because if you don’t win titles then it’s not so good. Chelsea are doing great things, making great signings and showing great faith in our coach, which is really important for him and for us as well.’

Kovacic is no stranger to being among the end-of-season honours, having won eight major trophies in the Spanish capital and five more back in his homeland with Dinamo Zagreb. The 26-year-old relishes performing on the big stage and is eager to return to Wembley to add another medal to his growing personal collection.

‘It will be really nice to be in another final,’ he continues. ‘The most beautiful thing in football is to play finals and then to win them.

‘Chelsea is used to winning titles so we will do everything we can to play a good match in the FA Cup final and then let’s see what happens.’

Only five outfielders have played more Premier League minutes than Kovacic this season, highlighting his importance to the team in midfield, where he has been a key cog in harnessing the progressive football at the heart of Lampard’s style of play.

While he admits he wants to add more goals and assists to his game, our number 17 has been pleased with his contribution in SW6 in his first campaign as a permanent Chelsea player.

‘I’m happy with my performances,’ he adds. ‘I think I’ve had a good season and I’ve settled well in my second year. Obviously I’m missing the statistics, which is the thing lacking in my game at the moment, but I’m improving on that as well.

‘I feel great here, so happy and honoured to be at this great club. Now I need to pay it back on the pitch, to be better and better every season, and hopefully next season is even better for us than this one.’

The more immediate focus is on Arsenal, the same opponents we defeated in Baku last May to claim silverware. Kovacic will be hoping for more of the same on the north side of the capital tomorrow evening as the Blues look to end this drawn-out campaign with Cup glory.

Am i the only one, sometimes really dislike the way he plays?

I know he has so many good qualities, he is really good on ball retention, his calmness and composure when he had the ball, give us extra protection in midfield.
But the way he barely threatening the opposition, barely create anything at all, he seems to has some mental block to playing safe everytime he have the ball.
I mean with so much talent he actually posses. His dribbling skill, passing technique, composure. But the way he playing, It is so damn frustating.
He seems not even trying to positioning himself in good position, create some spaces, just dont even want to take some responsibility to create any chances for his team mate, he often just hinder our attack by always playing it safe. 

And it already happens too often since he joined us

4 hours ago, dimmas said:

Am i the only one, sometimes really dislike the way he plays?

I know he has so many good qualities, he is really good on ball retention, his calmness and composure when he had the ball, give us extra protection in midfield.
But the way he barely threatening the opposition, barely create anything at all, he seems to has some mental block to playing safe everytime he have the ball.
I mean with so much talent he actually posses. His dribbling skill, passing technique, composure. But the way he playing, It is so damn frustating.
He seems not even trying to positioning himself in good position, create some spaces, just dont even want to take some responsibility to create any chances for his team mate, he often just hinder our attack by always playing it safe. 

And it already happens too often since he joined us

We know he can shot. After a couple of years scored two great goals against Valencia and Everton. But after that I was hoping this would become regular thing but not sure he even tried to do it after.

Jorgi, Kante and Mount also not capable of this... Weird since Frank was amazing in this. He should teach them how to score from outside the box. Barkley is probably our best player in this department.

Had a shocker last night. Kante was not much better. If Jorginho had performance like that forum would be fuming.

For that first goal I blame more Kova than CBs.

2nd goal was all on Kova. No, it was not a foul, even Kova did not ask for it, Muller took the ball. Emerson should have also came faster to Perisic.

Thiago showed to Kante and Kova what world class midfielder looks like. Kova was also not much better against Arsenal. He was solid this season ofc but if this is our player of the season than standard is really low.

I would give him 6.5/10 this season and this is the rating in ideal team worst performers should have.

Also James and Emerson are so far away in terms of defending from Azpi and even Alonso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeOtH4DY0g

• 4 weeks later...

This is why guys like Kova or Jorginho have to play next season. Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech, Havertz is amazing attack but someone has to give them the ball first. No surprise we played our best footy last season with them.