Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

Alonso scores goals, that's what he does

a nice slogan if he wasn't a defender.  Being good at scoring goals but at nothing else is not even good enough for a striker as we see with Michy. The only way I see Alonso being a really valuable player is If substitution rules got loosened such that you can sub on and off players as often as you want so we could bring him on for every 20-25 yard freekicks central or right to the box and subsequently sub him off again. 

I think there's weight behind the semi serious theory of playing Alonso as a striker. Critically evaluating him, what's he actually good at. Shooting, getting into goalscoring positions, he's ok aerially, and obviously free kicks. Nearly all traditional aspects of a wingback you want Alonso doesn't have. He can't dribble, he's slow, his crossing is poor, he doesn't progress play, he's shit in one on one duels defensively. I think you'd see a greater impact from Alonso in open play if he was more central hovering about the box in a CF position. He already does that when we're struggling for goals.

50 minutes ago, ja1 said:

I think there's weight behind the semi serious theory of playing Alonso as a striker. Critically evaluating him, what's he actually good at. Shooting, getting into goalscoring positions, he's ok aerially, and obviously free kicks. Nearly all traditional aspects of a wingback you want Alonso doesn't have. He can't dribble, he's slow, his crossing is poor, he doesn't progress play, he's shit in one on one duels defensively. I think you'd see a greater impact from Alonso in open play if he was more central hovering about the box in a CF position. He already does that when we're struggling for goals.

I thought about this the other day. It would at least be a fun experiment.

On 21/01/2018 at 7:42 PM, Sir Mikel OBE said:

He's not likable at all honestly. Especially to anybody who has ever lost a loved one because of a drunk driving dickhead.

He shows up with some goals, but liking?Nah.

Not sure what that has to do with football, people make mistakes in life but it’s not like you know him personally is it? JT Wayne Bridge thing was the same. Bad what happened but ultimately a mistake and totally irrelevant on the pitch.

As a footballer he’s committed and comes up with goals, sure he’s struggled this year but who hasn’t who played regularly last season? Moses? Cesc? Luiz? Willian? Pedro? He’s been playing every week this season, same as last year and has looked poor yes but until he gets some more adequate competition - Emerson hopefully - then he has to play. 

23 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not sure what that has to do with football, people make mistakes in life but it’s not like you know him personally is it? JT Wayne Bridge thing was the same. Bad what happened but ultimately a mistake and totally irrelevant on the pitch.

As a footballer he’s committed and comes up with goals, sure he’s struggled this year but who hasn’t who played regularly last season? Moses? Cesc? Luiz? Willian? Pedro? He’s been playing every week this season, same as last year and has looked poor yes but until he gets some more adequate competition - Emerson hopefully - then he has to play. 

JT slept with a mans ex. Not quite the same as getting drunk and driving is it? Especially when this sort of thing is beat into your head from the moment you get a license. It was "Bad" it was a crime, and he'd be in jail if he wasn't a rich footballer.

He comes up with goals, but defensively he is slightly better than a Zappacosta, who also isnt good enough if we are being honest.

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not sure what that has to do with football, people make mistakes in life but it’s not like you know him personally is it? JT Wayne Bridge thing was the same.

Did you just say killing a person and having sex with a teammate's ex is somehow just as bad?

1 hour ago, manpe said:

Did you just say killing a person and having sex with a teammate's ex is somehow just as bad?

No I meant both were obviously mistakes of different severity but when it comes to a football discussion, not sure why it’s brought up.