The Conte Thread

I don't understand all the criticism regarding the defensive approach as if we actually had a chance against that City side!

United were criticized for the same tactics against them, but Arsenal were also criticized for using the opposite approach.

If we lose 1-0 we'll be called coward and gutless. If we lose 5-0 we'll be called spineless and shaky.

It's not about how bad we are, it's about how good they are. People are acting like this is the City from last season, it absolutely is not.

This isn't a pool of mediocrity, it's just a collage I made to remind myself every once in a while of how ambitious and efficient the Chelsea board has been in the Conte era. I left out the other signings because they either were actually decent or had the potential to be decent.

0188212E-1C5D-4645-A076-3A30AFE3EDE5.jpg

1 hour ago, Azpinator said:

This isn't a pool of mediocrity, it's just a collage I made to remind myself every once in a while of how ambitious and efficient the Chelsea board has been in the Conte era. I left out the other signings because they either were actually decent or had the potential to be decent.

0188212E-1C5D-4645-A076-3A30AFE3EDE5.jpg

Luiz does not belong there

Just now, Strike said:

Luiz does not belong there

Well, his case is up for debate in my opinion. He was a last minute transfer after failures of securing a CB and last season was saved by the 3-4-3 formation just like Cahill, Moses and Alonso.

1 hour ago, Azpinator said:

I don't understand all the criticism regarding the defensive approach as if we actually had a chance against that City side!

United were criticized for the same tactics against them, but Arsenal were also criticized for using the opposite approach.

If we lose 1-0 we'll be called coward and gutless. If we lose 5-0 we'll be called spineless and shaky.

It's not about how bad we are, it's about how good they are. People are acting like this is the City from last season, it absolutely is not.

I don't necessarily blame him for adopting the approach initially, especially with the absence of Kante. Keep it tight and hopefully counter them (which didn't click) and potentially go for the win in the final 10-15 minutes if we're still level.

The problem for me was leaving it far too late to change our personnel and shape to try and get something out of the game because in our situation even a draw isn't hugely helpful. 

He brought on a full back to play in the front 3.

I've stood up for Conte but you just can't after yesterday waving the white flag before you step onto the pitch is inexcusable. He wants out everyone knows it it's affecting the team and he seems intent in destroying his legacy. The die was cast after the Man City game at the Bridge when Andrea Morata (that's not a typo) had to go off as he wasn't happy with his hair getting messed up. We never looked like scoring and the chasm between the two teams was self evident.

In two games against Man City we've had about 45% of the ball that's just embarrassing and frankly Conte should be ashamed of himself making Chelsea fans sit through that. So another new manager in the Summer that poor fucker has got his work cut whoever he is. But the most depressing thing for me is Tottenham will be playing Champions League games in their new 60,000 White Fart Lane we will be playing in the Europa League in a half empty Bridge. Us Chelsea fans are going to get some stick so let's stick together and come out fighting.

just because you are too tactically inept to beat arsenal, dosen't make them a top team. Their poor results cannot be used to justify us dropping 2 strikers and having 0 shots,

We all know he’s going at the end of the season, but do you think Abramovich and the Board might get rid of him before Palace next Saturday? Nothing would surprise me, but who would come in? Ancelotti until the end of the season? Bidding for a 3rd caretaker spell?!

5 hours ago, Azpinator said:

It really is as bad as we are though, we have looked awful for weeks and weeks now. We are that far behind City both in the league and quality wise it's fucking embarrassing.

We have fallen so far from being champions and all that could of been different had we invested and bought properly.

We are getting the worst of our managers. When Mourinho was sacked I wrote that he will never have a season like that again. I doubt Conte will one like this.

Will we have a competent football director finally? Who will be our next chief scout? These are the questions that I am wondering more than who our next manager will be.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Think Conte will stay on despite yesterday's debacle. There have been no reports about him getting the sack, unlike what we experienced with previous managers. 

Sacking him now would mean having £30m (?) less to spend in the summer. Decisions decisions, but I guess they are waiting for the time when his severance pay goes down according to his contract.

10 minutes ago, manpe said:

Sacking him now would mean having £30m (?) less to spend in the summer. Decisions decisions, but I guess they are waiting for the time when his severance pay goes down according to his contract.

Clearly Roman doesn't bother too much about the Champions League anymore. Conte would have been sacked by now if this was few years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Clearly Roman doesn't bother too much about the Champions League anymore. Conte would have been sacked by now if this was few years ago. 

On one hand we criticize(d) Roman for being so trigger happy, on the other hand we now say he doesn't care when he isn't.

8 minutes ago, manpe said:

On one hand we criticize(d) Roman for being so trigger happy, on the other hand we now say he doesn't care when he isn't.

:lol: I know. It is a catch 22 situation, I guess. Said it some time back, I want Conte to stay because we have chopped and changed managers too often and it would be nice to have one build something for the future but he himself hasn't exactly helped matters, has he? After all the things he's said, moaned and done, yesterday's pathetic tactical approach and game manager felt like he was indirectly holding up a "PLEASE SACK ME!" banner. Given our current situation, can we really afford to allow this to continue? Can we really afford to slip into mediocrity and become another Arsenal or Liverpool years ago? It feels our hope of keeping our best players, attracting new ones, staying in touch with the other big sides lie on us at least making the Champions League next season. Otherwise, it's might be a long, long, long way back to the top.