The Mourinho Thread

One must wonder, why is there no pattern in our attacking play?

We honestly can't regularly play counter attacking football because 90% of the time we will face teams that sit deep with a low block. Mourinho must find a formula for the attack that works and that brings the best out of the likes of Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Willian, KDB, Eto'o, Torres etc.

Precisely what I have been saying lately. We have lots of creative attacking talent but yet we are not seeing any sort of attacking play, the 1-2 combinations, quick passing, pressure etc like we saw in the first half against Hull. TrippingStep (think it was him) spoke about this issue some time ago and back then, I was willing to just sit back and give time for this to develop but so far, we haven't seen such thing. I know this takes time to develop for the long term but we're not even seeing this a tiny bit! For years now we have had problems breaking down teams that park the bus against us and till now, we are no closer to solving this problem which is even more criminal when we have the likes of Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Schurrle and De Bruyne. Instead, most of our goals lately have come because of luck, goalkeeper and/or defender mistakes, counter attacks or moment of brilliance from someone. Hardly anything have been scored as a result of a good play from us. It's no surprise that when we don't get those kind of situation to score, we can't do so by ourselves.

I'm sorry but either Mourinho is drunk here or he's just deluded...

Also:

Jose: 'When you play against a double wall, what can you do to break it down? They were well organised, Steve is a very good coach.' #CFC

These are both ridiculous things to say Jose tbh, a lot of teams will play exactly like the way WBA play today - you can't say you don't know what to do to break it down.

He needs to stop starting so defensively minded in games like these. In these games you start people who can directly influence and create something against walls of players - I'm talking Mata in the lines, Luiz trying to find someone from deep, Bertrand and Azpilicueta bombing forward - this contributes to the penetration of these sort of teams and thus creates chances.

We honestly need to stop trying to wait for a mistake from the other team to score and start creating chances via ourselves.

Actually what I meant is it wouldn't have changed. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. I've seen players enter and play less than 15 minutes and change a match. He did absolutely nothing. I don't oppose to him starting next match. I said he should have started this one... but I don't see him making any difference if his attitude and performance is what he's shown.

He played against Arsenal from the start and was far from brilliant - except the brilliant goal - and you totally missed my point. My point isn't about Oscar or Mata - I made it crystal clear, my point is this same lineup played amazingly well two weeks ago and for most of October... do what's the real problem here? That's what I'm asking, that's what I'm trying to find an answer to. If you think Mata is the answer to fix our problems I'll tell 3 things 1) God bless you 2) I hope you're right 3) Chances are you aren't right.

Our problems can't be fixed by one single player imo, if they could whoever is that guy would have showed it in training sessions and then in matches - starting or coming as a sub, because Willian for example earned his place in the starting XI and right now in the front he seems to be the only one who did it. Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle and Mata did all of the same in the matches (minutes) they played and it wasn't just enough.

Players can come in and change games in 15 minutes, but that was a chaotic game, we had only 1 person in defence and everyone in attack. The only way we were going to score was from a mistake or set-piece.... or luck.

Anyway i never said Mata was the answer, but Oscar doesn't play like a CAM which is what we need in games like today. It's why we bought Mata in the first place, and his assists so far in his Chelsea career show he does his job.

I think Mourinho knows that was shit.

I think he is trying to stay polite and respectful because of Steve.

But other then that Mourinho needs to be more attack minded. There's no way that a coach like RDM can get this team to be very attacking and Mourinho can't.

Mourinho is a good coach and he needs to sort this out.

One thing is for sure. No one should ever take notice and just laugh when Mourinho tries to play the "everyone is against us and nothing goes our way with officials" card.

The myth has been debunked really. Wouldn't be surprise if we get one of these against us later in the season, it is called karma. Then we would probably throw crap at ref but forgot moments like today really.

I think Mourinho knows that was shit.

I think he is trying to stay polite and respectful because of Steve.

But other then that Mourinho needs to be more attack minded. There's no way that a coach like RDM can get this team to be very attacking and Mourinho can't.

Mourinho is a good coach and he needs to sort this out.

Against Hull, 2 goals then suddenly they go toe to toe with us in the 2nd half

Basel- we all know what happened

Cardiff-GK cock up, lucky and eventually regain momentum

Shalker home- another GK cock up and eventually momentum after suriviving early scares

Newcastle-Need I say more?

West Brom- robbed them thanks to ref

Every single of these teams have set out to pack the bus and while we won most of them, none of them was really convincing

Lets be honest here guys, we haven't been playing well, even when we've won. Bayern, Arsenal, Schalke maybe those were good games. But most of the time we are not playing well.

Like Skipper said, Mou needs to find an ATTACKING system that works for us, not a defending one. Do we have Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle, KDB so they can defend? dont think so.

Mou is here to create an identity for us, to create a system. It will take time, I accept that.

How long though, remember Roman have none of that. If this doesn't change I could see us going for Klopp eventually. But this is really unlikely atm, but definitely a possibility imo.

Players can come in and change games in 15 minutes, but that was a chaotic game, we had only 1 person in defence and everyone in attack. The only way we were going to score was from a mistake or set-piece.... or luck.

Anyway i never said Mata was the answer, but Oscar doesn't play like a CAM which is what we need in games like today. It's why we bought Mata in the first place, and his assists so far in his Chelsea career show he does his job.

and when was the last time Mata did it?

Look man, I'm not defending Oscar, I think he's been terrible the last three games. But Mata didn't have ONE brilliant match this season and he played a streak of them in October. I even agree with you (had a post saying that in the first page of the pre-match thread) that this match (and others like this) are more suitable to Mata than Oscar imo. Still seeing how Mata has been playing it may win us a match (like Oscar and others won us matches this season with one saving goal or assist), but I don't think it's the answer to our problems.

When the guy you claim is the answer to our assists and creativity can't create half a chance when he's in the pitch, regardless of who's behind him and what a mess behind him is, I don't expect him to come next match and solve our problems. That can be Mata, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, whoever you want to name. All of them haven't been good enough. For me bottom line is this.

and when was the last time Mata did it?

Look man, I'm not defending Oscar, I think he's been terrible the last three games. But Mata didn't have ONE brilliant match this season and he played a streak of them in October. I even agree with you (had a post saying that in the first page of the pre-match thread) that this match (and others like this) are more suitable to Mata than Oscar imo. Still seeing how Mata has been playing it may win us a match (like Oscar and others won us matches this season with one saving goal or assist), but I don't think it's the answer to our problems.

When the guy you claim is the answer to our assists and creativity can't create half a chance when he's in the pitch, regardless of who's behind him and what a mess behind him is, I don't expect him to come next match and solve our problems. That can be Mata, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, whoever you want to name. All of them haven't been good enough. For me bottom line is this.

Mata did it last season, when he was playing every game and had the confidence of the manager. Now he's in and out of the team, can't put 1 foot wrong or else back to the bench.

Like TorontoChelsea just posted on the match thread, Oscar has 0 assists in 11 games. Around 9 of those he started and played the full game. You think it would be the same if it was Mata in his place? definitely not.

How long though, remember Roman have none of that. If this doesn't change I could see us going for Klopp eventually. But this is really unlikely atm, but definitely a possibility imo.

Well we just have to hope that Roman will change his ways of the past.

Well we just have to hope that Roman will change his ways of the past.

Hard really, remember we spent a lot this summer again to support Mou and he is getting paid £13m per year apparently. That mean he is under even more pressure to bring trophies and good football.

I've watched countless matches live, when the home side is pressing very high up the pitch against a smaller side. What I never seen done before is leaving a slow player as the last player defending, which almost costed us the point when Brunt skipped past Mikel as if he weren't there. No fault from Mikel btw as he just doesn't have the speed for that job. Why wasn't Ramires there instead was beyond me.

It's usually a fullback, but we didn't have any pacey fullback on the pitch, so the obvious choice should've been Ramires.