The Mourinho Thread

I think there is a lot to talk about with respect to Jose's set-up and philosophy for the big games but the single biggest issue is surely our inability to maintain 1-0 leads. If we were able to do that then towards the end of last season we would have beat Sunderland and probably won the PL, and we would have beat Atletico to reach the CL final. This year we'd also have 9 points more in the league. I know it is impossible to always maintain a 1-0 lead but such a lead should be a big advantage - it allows us to defend with numbers and play on the counter attack against a side that becomes more desperate to score and leaves more spaces for us to exploit. We often score first in the most important games but don't seem able to take advantage and often end up conceding without reply.

The 04/05 mentality cannot be applied with this team, simply because the defensive system changed, the center backs are older and the midfieldiers young, which is the exact contrary of what a great defense needs, young powerful center backs with two experienced defensive midfielders, the Terry-Carvalho partnership + Maka & Essien ( later on Ballack ) is more solid that Matic - Terry - Cahill.The overall system is an attacking system, based on Eden and Fabregas/Oscar creativity to break teams, and Iva taking the risk to strech the opposition, the 04/05 team wasnt that, it was more direct, ruthless, and exactly what needed for us at that time, this time around we cannot win 1-0 anymore.

The 04/05 mentality cannot be applied with this team, simply because the defensive system changed, the center backs are older and the midfieldiers young, which is the exact contrary of what a great defense needs, young powerful center backs with two experienced defensive midfielders, the Terry-Carvalho partnership + Maka & Essien ( later on Ballack ) is more solid that Matic - Terry - Cahill.The overall system is an attacking system, based on Eden and Fabregas/Oscar creativity to break teams, and Iva taking the risk to strech the opposition, the 04/05 team wasnt that, it was more direct, ruthless, and exactly what needed for us at that time, this time around we cannot win 1-0 anymore.

The 04/05 side was exceptional defensively but you don't need to be that good to maintain a lead. If we simply get plenty of numbers behind the ball, kill the spaces and play on the counter-attack when we go ahead against the big teams then the chances of us winning would obviously increase. I don't know why but we definitely have difficulties doing this - we seem to often continue playing as though it is 0-0 and look defensively open or we don't look to play on the counter attack and kill the game, instead sitting too deep.

This season we've taken the lead against City (x2), United and Tottenham and ended up with only 3 points. That should not happen to a big team and I don't agree with your argument that we can't do it because we have creative players like Cesc/Hazard. Apart from them the rest of the team is definitely composed of more defensive and workmanlike players for whom defending a 1-0 lead should be easier than they've made out this season. Remember the second half performance against Tottenham at home - we had a clear defensive shape and played well on the counter attack. We don't see that enough though.

Need to rediscover how to counter-attack imo. Against United, Liverpool away in the Capital One Cup and City home and away, we sat back (nothing wrong with that for me) but we couldn't counter them. Hopefully Cuadrado can add a spark with Willian playing 10.

Need to rediscover how to counter-attack imo. Against United, Liverpool away in the Capital One Cup and City home and away, we sat back (nothing wrong with that for me) but we couldn't counter them. Hopefully Cuadrado can add a spark with Willian playing 10.

Yes. For me the match in Old Trafford completely change the level of our performance.

That day Van Gaal put Juan Mata to make an individual to Fabregas marking, and that has nullified the brilliant start of Fabregas. Since then Fabregas only appears in small phases of the parties.

We have to get that back, that Fabregas play with more freedom, or make other players monopolize rivals pressure exerted on Fabregas. Maybe Cuadrado (and Willian like a 10, or Ramires like a midfielder) can help us to that.

Courtois

Zouma John Terry ©

Ivanovic Azpilicueta

Fabregas/Ramires Matic

Cuadrado Fabregas/Willian Hazard

Diego Costa

Regards.

He did the right thing last night. Rather win the league like that, than lose it the way Liverpool did. Had Brenton played the same way Jose played against City, the scousers would have been champions now ( :mouthclosed:).

Football is not about playing all out attack and win titles in style. You don't have to play 80% posession to control a game, you can also do it by sitting deep and cancelling the opponent.

Ok, City was the better team in the 2nd half, but you have to admit they looked clueless as fuck. And that was because Chelsea's brilliant display at the back.

Jose is made for these big games, it is in his DNA to succeed when in the spotlights. Defend or attack, he always finds a way to win these type of games. His record speaks volumes.

Perfect comment friend.

Besides, I did not see at no moment jeopardize the match for us. I do not recall any dangerous play (real danger) of Manchester City. We carry the match where we wanted.

They had to win, but we, perhaps, yesterday won the Premier League.

Regards.

Anybody else wonder if we will sign a second player. I didn't know where to actually post this. We have a short squad and in terms of Attacking midfielders we currently have 4.(5 if you consider Fabregas in terms of rotation) Still Jose said, if 1 player is to leave he will be replaced, if 2 are to leave, then two will be bought. Meaning, we are waiting on the Schurrle deal to happen or we are not signing anyone?

Anybody else wonder if we will sign a second player. I didn't know where to actually post this. We have a short squad and in terms of Attacking midfielders we currently have 4.(5 if you consider Fabregas in terms of rotation) Still Jose said, if 1 player is to leave he will be replaced, if 2 are to leave, then two will be bought. Meaning, we are waiting on the Schurrle deal to happen or we are not signing anyone?

I'm not so sure. We don't have too many competitions to worry about, we're out of the FA Cup and there's only one game left in the League Cup. We have Willian, Hazard, Oscar, Cuadrado, Remy(who can play wide if needed) and Ramires.

Here's the thing. The issue isn't so much that we parked the bus but that we had absolutely no tactical plan other than to keep inviting unneccessary pressure. Would it be that risky to counter them with 3 players with well calculated and rehearsed play? Not to mention the benefit of holding the ball and retaining posession in midfield instead of hoofing it aimlessly off field just to invite another wave of constant attack.

So here's a better idea: let's open the game up even more for City by attacking with our twelve fit outfield players, most of whom played 120 minutes of a semi-final on Tuesday night. What a brilliant tactical idea that would have been.

We had a shit hand dealt to us yesterday but we still managed to make a fist of things. Considering the circumstances, and the fact it was a "do not lose" match, we should be content with a point. I don't like the way we sat off either, but the players were clearly jaded and considering how dominant City were in terms of possession and territory, we made them look toothless. How many times did they really test us? Twice? Can't be disappointed with that.

Until now I'm satisfied with Mourinho this season. Winning a big trophy this season is an obligation in my opinion. The team is 5 points clear and thats what really matters. The team is also playing good and solid football.

We could play shit football like last year for all I care. I just want to win a trophy, which is an obligation, as you quite rightly assert. A trophyless season would be unacceptable given the quality of this squad.

Every game a cup final.Got tough away games out the way but still likes of Villa,QPR etc who shouldn't cause a upset but are capable if dont play how we can

Home-8-Everton,Burnley,Southampton,Stoke,Man U,Palace,Liverpool,Sunderland

Away-7-Villa,Leicester,West Ham,Hull,QPR,Arsenal,West Brom

Every game a cup final.Got tough away games out the way but still likes of Villa,QPR etc who shouldn't cause a upset but are capable if dont play how we can

Home-8-Everton,Burnley,Southampton,Stoke,Man U,Palace,Liverpool,Sunderland

Away-7-Villa,Leicester,West Ham,Hull,QPR,Arsenal,West Brom

All Right. It's time to go looking at how many matches are left until the end of the season.

I think we've suffered a lot in games away The Bridge, but in this second part of the season we have a much weaker rivals away from home.

Initially, we will not suffer so much away The Bridge (I hope this).

Chelsea. Position. 1. Points. 53.

Away matches.

1. Aston Villa. Position. 16. Points. 22.

2. Leicester. Position. 20. Points. 17.

3. West Ham. Position. 8. Points. 36.

4. Hull. Position. 18. Points. 19.

5. QPR. Position. 19. Points. 19.

6. Arsenal. Position. 5. Points. 42.

7. West Brom. Position. 15. Points. 22.

Regards.

I'm not so sure. We don't have too many competitions to worry about, we're out of the FA Cup and there's only one game left in the League Cup. We have Willian, Hazard, Oscar, Cuadrado, Remy(who can play wide if needed) and Ramires.

I was actually thinking about that, that even with CL we don't have the FA to tighten our schedule and coming out of that competition has its pluses. I think we may see some activity, but as Wenger would say( Oh, God): "Only if the right deal comes."

The only thing we 'suck' at this year is keeping the lead.

We were leading twice vs city, once vs united, once vs liverpool (ccup) and once vs spurs. And vs bradford but that wasnt big game.

We have not won single of those games, if we cant handle to score and keep that lead, we have to change the tactics in future.

Mou said its better to lose fighting, than win or draw with poor game. But he is doing exact opposite. As long we will be winning long term its OK though.

The only thing we 'suck' at this year is keeping the lead.

We were leading twice vs city, once vs united, once vs liverpool (ccup) and once vs spurs. And vs bradford but that wasnt big game.

We have not won single of those games, if we cant handle to score and keep that lead, we have to change the tactics in future.

Mou said its better to lose fighting, than win or draw with poor game. But he is doing exact opposite. As long we will be winning long term its OK though.

Yeah...but we have also won games after throwing away a 1-0 lead - 2-1 vs Bolton, 2-1 vs Shrewsbury and 2-1 vs QPR. They might not be big teams but the victories were important in getting to where we are right now.