Leon Bailey

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/chelsea-arsenal-target-leon-bailey-turns-back-on-jamaica-4212553
I'm going by what I've read. Please enlighten me how all articles similar to this one are nonsense?

Your first mistake is reading tribal football, without doubt the no.1 source for bullshit stories and clickbait ads. Don't read that stuff for anything more than a laugh.

As for our youth policy, you may have a point there. Leon would have to fight for time with Willian and/or Pedro and prove to be better. I happen to think he is already capable of displacing them based on his ability to finish. If we wait another year his fee may double if not treble and he will no longer meet our price point in which case we'll be signing Nathan Redmond...

Here is the most clear and concise explanation as to what is going on with Leon Bailey and the national team.

4 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Your first mistake is reading tribal football, without doubt the no.1 source for bullshit stories and clickbait ads. Don't read that stuff for anything more than a laugh.

As for our youth policy, you may have a point there. Leon would have to fight for time with Willian and/or Pedro and prove to be better. I happen to think he is already capable of displacing them based on his ability to finish. If we wait another year his fee may double if not treble and he will no longer meet our price point in which case we'll be signing Nathan Redmond...

Here is the most clear and concise explanation as to what is going on with Leon Bailey and the national team.

That was just a link that I read recently, but it was quoting Winnie Schaefer (former coach now, so I guess the stance might change).

Thanks for posting an explanation, though.

On 21/01/2018 at 4:55 PM, The Skipper said:

Like I said. We’re not a team that pays the top dollar anymore so we need to take calculated gambles like this one. If we let him grow and prosper in the CL, and the likes of Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern come calling, we’re not going to afford him anymore. Thing about Bailey is he’s been thoroughly scouted by the club — we’ve been after him/keeping an eye on him since Genk days so if they felt like he’s worth the buy it’s fine. It wouldn’t really be a random purchase is my point.

Quick question, how often have you watched Bailey/Leverkusen this season?  

If the club is heading towards that path then I'm more than happy to be in support of it, but the board must follow a long term plan and not panic when there are difficult times. They also need the right manager in place for at least 2-3 seasons who won't be afraid to show the faith for younger players to prove themselves at the club.

There is clear value in doing this and Chelsea should have reaped far higher rewards for doing so a few years back when we took the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne and Courtois from Belgium and Salah from Basle. To a lesser extent Hazard fell into this bracket too of a young player with high potential but still far from the finished article and at the time playing in a French league which wasn't overly strong. But Chelsea panicked and moved away from building a younger, creative team to the Mourinho form of win now and the majority of these players, with others like Bertrand, weren't given the chances they should have been given.

The worrying thing is that Chelsea have moved away from this over the last couple of seasons and need to prove again that they can pluck out this sort of talent at the correct time. With Bailey, why didn't we buy him when he was at Genk like the others and loan him out for a year or two. Even at Leverkusen, he won't command top dollar yet but we're still likely talking £30 - 40m minimum and at this price tag for someone still fairly unproven and inexperienced the risk is that much higher.

19 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If the club is heading towards that path then I'm more than happy to be in support of it, but the board must follow a long term plan and not panic when there are difficult times. They also need the right manager in place for at least 2-3 seasons who won't be afraid to show the faith for younger players to prove themselves at the club.

There is clear value in doing this and Chelsea should have reaped far higher rewards for doing so a few years back when we took the likes of Lukaku, De Bruyne and Courtois from Belgium and Salah from Basle. To a lesser extent Hazard fell into this bracket too of a young player with high potential but still far from the finished article and at the time playing in a French league which wasn't overly strong. But Chelsea panicked and moved away from building a younger, creative team to the Mourinho form of win now and the majority of these players, with others like Bertrand, weren't given the chances they should have been given.

The worrying thing is that Chelsea have moved away from this over the last couple of seasons and need to prove again that they can pluck out this sort of talent at the correct time. With Bailey, why didn't we buy him when he was at Genk like the others and loan him out for a year or two. Even at Leverkusen, he won't command top dollar yet but we're still likely talking £30 - 40m minimum and at this price tag for someone still fairly unproven and inexperienced the risk is that much higher.

Still not sure what anybody seen in Bertrand to think he was going to be a good player for us. Squad filler yes maybe but again, he struggled to displace Ashley Cole who was on a downward spiral (although he still offered good performances in games where he played despite not being used that often under Mourinho in particular), sure Mourinho had his favourites like Ivanovic at RB but LB was very much a spot that was very much there to be contested, to the point where Cesar ended up playing the role (and to an excellent standard) but yeah, Bertrand, isn't missed, when Emerson comes in we will have 2 decent enough LBs of a better quality. Plus in regard to Mourinho's style, it worked didn't it? Nobody complained at the time when we wont he league etc, sure it was shite the season after but again the club were standing still and everyone else was going forwards. We were probably worse under Benitez.  

8 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Still not sure what anybody seen in Bertrand to think he was going to be a good player for us. Squad filler yes maybe but again, he struggled to displace Ashley Cole who was on a downward spiral (although he still offered good performances in games where he played despite not being used that often under Mourinho in particular), sure Mourinho had his favourites like Ivanovic at RB but LB was very much a spot that was very much there to be contested, to the point where Cesar ended up playing the role (and to an excellent standard) but yeah, Bertrand, isn't missed, when Emerson comes in we will have 2 decent enough LBs of a better quality. Plus in regard to Mourinho's style, it worked didn't it? Nobody complained at the time when we wont he league etc, sure it was shite the season after but again the club were standing still and everyone else was going forwards. We were probably worse under Benitez.  

I'm not saying that Bertrand will have necessarily become first choice but surely could have done a job as a competent backup and essentially if we did still have him we wouldn't have slogged Alonso for the last 18 months with little to no rest.

With regards to Mourinho, I understand what you are saying and its a fine balance because we don't want to become the Arsenal of 8 years ago which was young and full of promise but ultimately won nothing. When the opportunity is there to win trophies, take it. I think the problem was that the squad wasn't tailored for Mourinho's style when he first arrived and rather than taking the longer term, planning option to keep developing the attacking talent we had, we went for the quick, short term success which in hindsight we're now paying the price long term for.

13 hours ago, the wes said:

Chelsea ‘willing to pay’ €30m to sign 20 year old and make his ‘dream’ come true

http://sportwitness.co.uk/chelsea-willing-pay-e30m-sign-20-year-old-make-dream-come-true/

Ohh great, just one week too late. 

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Other than most wingers he can cross but he still lacks a lot. ONly marginal contributions today. Not quite the level Hazard hat before he joined us. was lucky not to get sent off but unlucky not to score with a freekick.

You won't find many wingers ever at the level Hazard was prior to coming here. He was a truly special talent. Neymar and Mbappe are the only ones that compare in recent times. 

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

I have to disagree. Bailey is much younger than either and plays in a better league. He is faster than both and probably physically more robust. Even when he has an unlucky game like yesterday he will still try and impose himself upon the game, whilst the other two usually disappear from games when they have an off-day (I admit i have not seen that much of fekir so i could be wrong in his case). Sure fekir and maybe even lemar are the more accomplished players but I see way higher potential in Bailey. He reminds me of young Salah but stronger and more composed than Salah was at this age. I told you it was a mistake to sell Salah, now by buying Bailey we have the chance to make it undone.

I cant shake feeling Bailey would be such typical Chelsea signing like Tibo, Salah, KDB,..were. Less hyped, but very talented player that will probably end up super player.

He made big leap since december though and there came lot of interest and price went double, so maybe he doesnt belong in that ''less known'' category anymore, but we were interested long before.

Would love to get him, Iit would be nice to buy a young player with genuine high potential.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You