Leon Bailey

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:
1 hour ago, The Skipper said:
Watched the whole game yesterday. He was superb. Would be a really good buy in the summer - his potential is outstanding. Also a Chelsea fan. He’s on something crazy like 13 goals and assists (8G, 5A) in 18 appearances (13 starts). Very impressed with him. Hope we go in for him in the summer. One of the best players in Germany this season, and his profile suits the PL and our need for a goal scoring wide forward perfectly. Can also play as a 9 if needed.  

I just seem him being a similar signing to Schurrle. Has shown glimpses in Germany but would blow hot & cold over here.

He’s shown way more than glimpses. He’s legit the breakout star in Germany this year imo. Leverkusen’s star man. Also, he doesn’t have Schürrle’s technical deficiencies - his base technique is very good. Excellent close control, good eye for the pass. Has that killer instinct in the final third too and of course, has electric pace. One of the fastest players out there. Schürrle’s overall technique was quite poor, Bailey doesn’t have that problem whatsoever.

Sure, he isn’t world class yet but he has all the right tangibles to become so imo if he joins the right club and is allowed to develop. He’ll go for big money, and hopefully since we’ve been tracking him for time plus the fact he’s a CFC fan, he’ll come here. These are the sort of signings we need to make now the club isn’t committed in spending millions on the best of the best anymore. 

Also, keep an eye out for Retsos at Leverkusen - excellent CB talent. 

Tbf I dont think hes anything like Schurrle.

Schurrle was a wide player but had limited skills in 1v1s although he would always arrive in the box well. I think Bailey has genuine pace and can stretch teams as well as score/assist goals. I don't think its any coincidence we're looking at him after watching him play v Bayern and also the game v Hoffenheim, looks like a really good player, I'd take him in this month for sure. Schurrle was much more limited, he could finish and was good at running into space but if you had him up against a defender he was pretty limited I thought.

Schurrle was predominantly used as a CF during his season at Leverkusen, which was one of the reasons he was involved in 24 goals. I'd give Bailey another season before going after him.

He’s shown way more than glimpses. He’s legit the breakout star in Germany this year imo. Also, he doesn’t have Schürrle’s technical deficiencies - his base technique is very good. Excellent close control, good eye for the pass. Has that killer instinct in the final third too and of course, has electric pace. One of the fastest players out there. Schürrle’s overall technique was quite poor, Bailey doesn’t have that problem whatsoever.

Sure, he isn’t world class yet but he has all the right tangibles to become so imo if he joins the right club and is allowed to develop. He’ll go for big money, and hopefully since we’ve been tracking him he’ll come here. These are the sort of signings we need to make now the club isn’t committed in spending millions on the best of the best anymore. 

I just think it's too soon to go after someone like him for a number of reasons. Give him another season with CL football and then, see how he does.

10 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

He’s shown way more than glimpses. He’s legit the breakout star in Germany this year imo. Leverkusen’s star man. Also, he doesn’t have Schürrle’s technical deficiencies - his base technique is very good. Excellent close control, good eye for the pass. Has that killer instinct in the final third too and of course, has electric pace. One of the fastest players out there. Schürrle’s overall technique was quite poor, Bailey doesn’t have that problem whatsoever.

Sure, he isn’t world class yet but he has all the right tangibles to become so imo if he joins the right club and is allowed to develop. He’ll go for big money, and hopefully since we’ve been tracking him for time plus the fact he’s a CFC fan, he’ll come here. These are the sort of signings we need to make now the club isn’t committed in spending millions on the best of the best anymore. 

Also, keep an eye out for Retsos at Leverkusen - excellent CB talent. 

Do you not think he's very similar to zaha?? 

Just now, LAM09 said:

Schurrle was predominantly used as a CF during his season at Leverkusen, which was one of the reasons he was involved in 25 goals. I'd give Bailey another season before going after him.

I just think it's too soon to go after someone like him for a number of reasons. Give him another season with CL football and then, see how he does.

Yeah. 

Give him another season with CL football and possibly miss out on him if he excels again? We all know what Bayern are like. Absolutely ruthless picking players up from Bundesliga, Goretzka just joined them on a free for next season. Both Ribery and Robben are a fair age now a days, somebody like Bailey would be an ideal player to replace either or I think. If he keeps playing like he is this season then I feel we might not even get him in the summer.

Yeah.  Give him another season with CL football and possibly miss out on him if he excels again? We all know what Bayern are like. Absolutely ruthless picking players up from Bundesliga, Goretzka just joined them on a free for next season. Both Ribery and Robben are a fair age now a days, somebody like Bailey would be an ideal player to replace either or I think. If he keeps playing like he is this season then I feel we might not even get him in the summer.

He has stated his desire to play in the EPL. Players to do have say in the matter btw (just look at Reus).

How did that work out with Sanches?

12 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

He has stated his desire to play in the EPL. Players to do have say in the matter btw (just look at Reus).

Perhaps but do you think many folk would chose Chelsea or any PL club ahead of Bayern Munich in all fairness? Sanches had maybe played 1 season of football before he went to Bayern, Bailey had played regularly before moving to Germany and has continued to do so. How often do Bayern get it wrong? I genuinely think if he keeps going at the rate he is, somebody like them or some other club will snap him up. Even if he is a Chelsea fan or not. Doesn't always work out ask Lukaku or various other young lads from the past.  

I just seem him being a similar signing to Schurrle. Has shown glimpses in Germany but would blow hot & cold over here.

Except Schurrle had one of the worst conversion rates in Europe when we bought him. It continued when he joined us.

Leon Bailey has excellent finishing so I doubt he will be another schurrle

Is Sanches made of the same material Bailey is? Comparisons like this are so useless

Perhaps but do you think many folk would chose Chelsea or any PL club ahead of Bayern Munich in all fairness? Sanches had maybe played 1 season of football before he went to Bayern, Bailey had played regularly before moving to Germany and has continued to do so. How often do Bayern get it wrong? I genuinely think if he keeps going at the rate he is, somebody like them or some other club will snap him up. Even if he is a Chelsea fan or not. Doesn't always work out ask Lukaku or various other young lads from the past.  

Not often, I agree. I think the chance of him developing here is slim similar to Lukaka, Salah, De Bruyne's time here.

Except Schurrle had one of the worst conversion rates in Europe when we bought him. It continued when he joined us.

Leon Bailey has excellent finishing so I doubt he will be another schurrle

He scored 14 goals the season before joining us, so no idea how many chances he missed going by your statement.

Is Sanches made of the same material Bailey is? Comparisons like this are so useless

I used him as an example of someone moving too soon. Sanches might have had only one season under his belt, but he he did the following in those 12 months:

Won a league title
Played in the CL
Helped Portugal win the Euros

On the other hand, we have Bailey dodging Jamaican call ups in the hope Martinez need him.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

Schurrle was predominantly used as a CF during his season at Leverkusen, which was one of the reasons he was involved in 24 goals. I'd give Bailey another season before going after him.

Like I said. We’re not a team that pays the top dollar anymore so we need to take calculated gambles like this one. If we let him grow and prosper in the CL, and the likes of Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern come calling, we’re not going to afford him anymore. Thing about Bailey is he’s been thoroughly scouted by the club — we’ve been after him/keeping an eye on him since Genk days so if they felt like he’s worth the buy it’s fine. It wouldn’t really be a random purchase is my point.

Quick question, how often have you watched Bailey/Leverkusen this season?  

1 hour ago, the wes said:

Do you not think he's very similar to zaha?? 

No, he gets way more goals and assists than Zaha. Zaha is more of a creating dribbler, Bailey is a wide forward like Alexis Sànchez or Martial or Son or Sterling for example. Zaha doesn’t score enough goals. 

25 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Like I said. We’re not a team that pays the top dollar anymore so we need to take calculated gambles like this one. If we let him grow and prosper in the CL, and the likes of Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern come calling, we’re not going to afford him anymore. Thing about Bailey is he’s been thoroughly scouted by the club — we’ve been after him/keeping an eye on him since Genk days so if they felt like he’s worth the buy it’s fine. It wouldn’t really be a random purchase is my point.

Quick question, how often have you watched Bailey/Leverkusen this season?  

I've said the same thing before about our spending habits nowadays. I probably would be less opposed to this move if we were a team that was patient & gave youngsters a chance instead of expecting from the get go.

Only watched Leverkusen in the bigger games this season.

I used him as an example of someone moving too soon. Sanches might have had only one season under his belt, but he he did the following in those 12 months:

Won a league title
Played in the CL
Helped Portugal win the Euros

On the other hand, we have Bailey dodging Jamaican call ups in the hope Martinez need him.

Conversion rate is based on shots on and off target. He took a LOT of shots to get that figure and continued to take that many at chelsea with very little end product. Bailey is nothing like him at all.

You can't assign the same characteristics to two different people. There are people who have left a club after one season that have gone on to have fantastic careers, maybe Bailey is one of them? Glass half full or half empty?

As someone who has followed the development of Bailey for a few years, I can comfortably say you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

43 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Conversion rate is based on shots on and off target. He took a LOT of shots to get that figure and continued to take that many at chelsea with very little end product. Bailey is nothing like him at all.

You can't assign the same characteristics to two different people. There are people who have left a club after one season that have gone on to have fantastic careers, maybe Bailey is one of them? Glass half full or half empty?

You need to realise I'm using players who arguably moved on too soon and have fallen into the background. I'd love Bailey to come here, hit the ground running and flourish, but the probability of that happening going by youngsters at this club in the past is slim.

38 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

As someone who has followed the development of Bailey for a few years, I can comfortably say you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/chelsea-arsenal-target-leon-bailey-turns-back-on-jamaica-4212553

I'm going by what I've read. Please enlighten me how all articles similar to this one are nonsense?

6 hours ago, King11Didier said:

Schurrle was actually a really good player for us, another sold player from jose which I regret he did. But I think Bailey and Schurrle are different type of players.

Yes Schurrle was fantastic backup for us. Very likable character and seemed to have special bond with club (due to Ballack and his recommendations). 

He wanted to play more though but realy faded in Bvb, however if he stayed here I think he would made better career.

Bailey on other hand can be proper baller, top dog. I know we cant get top players, but he seems to be one of reachable talents who can become world class. Would be kind of like Salah, De Bruyne signing, someone with huge potential. 

I realy hope the club can get it done, its been long time since we signed very young player with huge potential. Couple years ago we were doing it regulary (Kdb, Lukaku, Tibo, Salah,...)

Its just a shame he was rumoured to be worth 30-40m back in december, but now his price is getting very high.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You