Petr Cech

eldo

Why look at that game and not the others where Cech made mistakes?

Cech was dropped last season because of poor form. Everyone seems to ignore this, but Schwarzer got his first start in the CL not out of some sense of sentimentality, but because Cech was losing us points.

Courtois has exceeded every expectation we had for him and right now he's the better keeper.

Courtois isn't better than cech for now until he proves so in the Epl and if he proves so to Jose then fine he becomes no. 1. Looking at errors courtois had his mistakes too in the champions league final. Cech is still a great keeper and still young too. Coutois has to prove he is better all this future shit doesn't cut it for me. Just as costa says he will fight with torres so also courtois with cech.

If Courtois goes through a rough patch of course we bench him. The results are above everything else for us.

Regardless of who is currently better (for me it's still Petr), of course Thibaut can learn A LOT from Petr. We're talking about the man who has the most clean sheets in the history of our club! His experience is invaluable.

Here's what Cech can teach Courtois....play for a great team with a great manager. Cech's clean sheet record is at much to do with Carvalho, Terry, Makelele, Essien, Ferreira, Cole and Mourinho as it is to do with him.

That's not to say Cech isn't a great keeper, but he's also been one of the best protected keepers in Premier League history.

Courtois isn't better than cech for now until he proves so in the Epl and if he proves so to Jose then fine he becomes no. 1. Looking at errors courtois had his mistakes too in the champions league final. Cech is still a great keeper and still young too. Coutois has to prove he is better all this future shit doesn't cut it for me. Just as costa says he will fight with torres so also courtois with cech.

Cech was dropped last year. His form has steadily declined over the last two years.

Fuck all the future shit then. In the present, Courtois is the better keeper.

Here's what Cech can teach Courtois....play for a great team with a great manager. Cech's clean sheet record is at much to do with Carvalho, Terry, Makelele, Essien, Ferreira, Cole and Mourinho as it is to do with him.

That's not to say Cech isn't a great keeper, but he's also been one of the best protected keepers in Premier League history.

Not really my point, but it's kind of a cheap shot trying to take away from Petr's achievements.

Anyway, my point was experience (that's why I bolded it) at the top the level and experience for playing at Chelsea and experience of playing in the PL. Petr is one of the best best of his generation and one of the legends of the game, no matter how talented a youngster is, and even when Thibaut becomes clearly better than him, he can always learn from his experience.

Not really my point, but it's kind of a cheap shot trying to take away from Petr's achievements.

Anyway, my point was experience (that's why I bolded it) at the top the level and experience for playing at Chelsea and experience of playing in the PL. Petr is one of the best best of his generation and one of the legends of the game, no matter how talented a youngster is, and even when Thibaut becomes clearly better than him, he can always learn from his experience.

Wasn't a cheap shot in the slightest. It was a fact. He's played in strong teams, but he's still a great keeper.

I wrote this before the CL final and my opinion hasn't changed so I'll just leave this here as my 0.02$ on the matter:

We're now at that point where Cech's experience and familiarity no longer offset Courtois' raw promise. The Belgian is no longer a greenhorn honing his trade, we're talking about someone who at 22 years old is one game away from having won every trophy he's ever competed for in club colours.

Which then makes the decision boil down to pure footballing ability. In that department, even if Cech performs at 100% for 2 more years, would you take that over Courtois (for argument's sake) performing at, say 85% over that period, knowing he could then go on and give you a dozen more years as possibly the best in his position in the world?

Cech before his head injury was best keeper in the world. No question. The thing that astonished me most about Cech then was that not only would he make a fantastic save, but sometimes he would also somehow managed to hold onto the ball even against some the most difficult of shots.

Cech after his injury was still WC, but became nervous in certain situations regarding physical contact; less willing to deal with corners and less rushing out (especially this). Gradually, he started recovering in these aspects but he was never the same. When Cudicini eventually left and Cech made a mistake, we questioned if he was complacent because he wasn't being adequately challenged for his position. He also started picking up more injuries.

Cech in 2012 during the CL run was at his absolute best, as good as he ever was in the past.

However, he is still prone to the odd injury. I think it was up until the season before last where he was out for a lengthy enough period almost every season; we then had to rely on the likes of Hilario and Turnbull who let in very soft goals. At the beginning of last season he missed a small amount of games due to poor form and missed the end due to injury. 2012 was his absolute peak in my eyes and the downhill slope has already begun, albeit very very slowly, but it'll only worsen.

Cech knows this himself. I remember his very aggressive interview at the end of last season about displacing Cudicini, being no. 1 for nearly 10 years and not giving his place up lightly (I can't find the article atm). He never said anything like it before, but he said it because he feels very threatened for the first time ever.

So, when we think of this and think of Courtois' meteoric rise, do we stick with what we know is going to gradually decline or do we continue the development of already one of the best goalkeepers in the world? Cech will never be the Cech of 2005 again, I don't even think he'll be the Cech of 2012 again.

I think the answer to this problem is a very simple one and, because he is a winner above all else (including sentimentally, e.g. Ashley), I think Mourinho knows the answer as well.

He is as certain as a sub or going to be sold now after Mou's latest comments. From 'one of the best in the world' to now just '3-5 experience GK' is quite an downgrade. Also I doubt Courtois would agree to stay unless he was guaranteed that he would play, now Mou just confirmed that himself without mentioning it specifically and be disrespect to Cech.

This coming season could be his last in a Chelsea shirt, and even then it will likely be similar to Terry situation under Rafa. Real shame that it would end this way for the club's greatest ever GK :(

He is as certain as a sub or going to be sold now after Mou's latest comments. From 'one of the best in the world' to now just '3-5 experience GK' is quite an downgrade. Also I doubt Courtois would agree to stay unless he was guaranteed that he would play, now Mou just confirmed that himself without mentioning it specifically and be disrespect to Cech.

This coming season could be his last in a Chelsea shirt, and even then it will likely be similar to Terry situation under Rafa. Real shame that it would end this way for the club's greatest ever GK :(

Has to end somehow and some way though. I don't think under any circumstances that if Cech is playing second fiddle that he will be disrespected in any way shape or form by Mourinho. Cech on the other hand strikes me as a guy that wouldn't be bothered by competition and would welcome it. We will be in a great position if these two are our keepers between the sticks this season, the two best keepers around for me and fighting for that one spot.

Has to end somehow and some way though. I don't think under any circumstances that if Cech is playing second fiddle that he will be disrespected in any way shape or form by Mourinho. Cech on the other hand strikes me as a guy that wouldn't be bothered by competition and would welcome it. We will be in a great position if these two are our keepers between the sticks this season, the two best keepers around for me and fighting for that one spot.

Not to mention Schwarzer as numero tres.

I have had my concerns on how it would work in terms of keeping them happy but if any one can its Mourinho, if we had someone like Rafa who isn't known for man management it could have been a problem.

Whatever the choice, the media will love this story.
Goalkeepers sometimes make mistakes: it happens, sooner or later. At that point all camera's to the bench, tough interviews after the game, long articles on how bad the choice was.

Chances are high it will affect the players.

My choice would have been to make a choice before the season starts and let go one goalkeeper.

Now, it's stated that we will have two great goalies and we can't loose... but to be honest I'm afraid of this situation: it will come down to how the players, manager and the entire club will handle the pressure from the media which will come at some point during the season.

Cech was dropped last year. His form has steadily declined over the last two years.

Fuck all the future shit then. In the present, Courtois is the better keeper.

Coutois has definitely not proved that in Epl or a chelsea shirt so its not true or possible that he is better than cech especially when cech is still very good and courtois hasn't even put on a blue shirt, that's disrespectful. Moreover he played under a different system at athletico with 11 players behind the ball, I don't think he will look so good in his first season especially as he looked at athletico last season, more teams will test us naturally I mean spurs, united, city, liverpool, arsenal, everton and much more this isn't a barca and real madrid plus x team league so i don't think courtois should start at the beginning of this season except when cech fails to deliver then his opportunity arises. Its true that in these forum we like to value new players rather than those we already have but why not be patient then judge objectively. We had the best defense last season with cech in goal so we don't have a problem there for me and for now because cech is still of the highest level(as he showed with game saving saves against city away last season) with invaluable experience. If cech is to be replaced then there should be a very good reason because you can't throw away all his EPL experience out the window when he is still spectacular, courtois simply has to earn his shirt same as cech did with cudicini, courtois must be consistent when given the opportunity because the lesser of the two will be benched.

Coutois has definitely not proved that in Epl or a chelsea shirt so its not true or possible that he is better than cech especially when cech is still very good and courtois hasn't even put on a blue shirt, that's disrespectful. Moreover he played under a different system at athletico with 11 players behind the ball, I don't think he will look so good in his first season especially as he looked at athletico last season, more teams will test us naturally I mean spurs, united, city, liverpool, arsenal, everton and much more this isn't a barca and real madrid plus x team league so i don't think courtois should start at the beginning of this season except when cech fails to deliver then his opportunity arises. Its true that in these forum we like to value new players rather than those we already have but why not be patient then judge objectively. We had the best defense last season with cech in goal so we don't have a problem there for me and for now because cech is still of the highest level(as he showed with game saving saves against city away last season) with invaluable experience. If cech is to be replaced then there should be a very good reason because you can't throw away all his EPL experience out the window when he is still spectacular, courtois simply has to earn his shirt same as cech did with cudicini, courtois must be consistent when given the opportunity because the lesser of the two will be benched.

Your first paragraph is basically what people were saying re Cech/Cudicini in 2004.

Also Athletico last season were a more advanced version of where we are heading, so there won't be much adaption time needed in that respect, for as long as Jose is here he will be well protected.

Your first paragraph is basically what people were saying re Cech/Cudicini in 2004.

Also Athletico last season were a more advanced version of where we are heading, so there won't be much adaption time needed in that respect, for as long as Jose is here he will be well protected.

When courtois gets his chance and if he proves to be better than cech as cech did cudicini then great for him and for the club too but for me cech is still at a level where cudicini never really reached so courtois has the highest ceiling to compete with to be No. 1. I wish them both well.

I'm with TOPTB, having Cech around acts as a distraction for Courtois both by the media and fans alike tbh. There will be cries of 'Cech wouldn't have done that' when Courtois makes a mistake which will inevitably happen.

As far as having a reliable back up goes, if Schwarzer didn't convince you guys last season then this conversation wouldn't get very far. As someone said before, it's almost insulting having Cech on the bench with his accolades and he wouldn't be short of suitors.

Yes Mourinho is sentimental but he's realistic too. He wouldn't stand in the way if Cech wanted out & I certainly wouldn't believe when people infer he'll definitely remain.. He can be deceitful in transfer windows.

A prime example of this situation goes back to Manchester City with Hart (up and coming on loan at Birmingham) competing with Shay Given who was one of the most competent and experienced goal keepers in the league at the time. For the greater future, Given had to be benched and eventually left for first team opportunities.