Petr Cech

eldo

I dont think its time to write Petr off just yet, but I got a feeling this years competition will drive those two to the limits.

As a shot stopper Cech is as good as there comes. In terms of dealing with crosses/corners Courtois is miles better. I thnk and hope Courtois will be number 1.

Is it fair to say that Cech's (mis)handling of crosses is as bad as Courtois' tendency to parry shots straight back into the danger area?

Um....clutching at that a bit I think.

Parrying shots is just part of modern football, the trick is to redirect it. I honestly don't think Courtois is much worse than many other keepers, but if it's an issue then it's something he can improve with age.

Cech's dealing with crosses is becoming a real issue though. He's creating uncertainty in the defence and it's costing us points and matches which is weird considering his age and experience. The thing is I can only see it getting worse, as any mental issue/case of the yips does.

Parrying shots is just part of modern football, the trick is to redirect it. I honestly don't think Courtois is much worse than many other keepers, but if it's an issue then it's something he can improve with age.

That's what I meant though ... it's not the parrying, it's the parrying it straight back to where you don't want it go, instead of tipping it round the corner like Cech does, for example. To my mind it's the one big flaw in his game, but you're right in that it's something that could presumably be worked on and of course he has the advantage of having age on his side.

As a shot stopper Cech is as good as there comes. In terms of dealing with crosses/corners Courtois is miles better. I thnk and hope Courtois will be number 1.

Cech is definitely having some issues with crosses but, and this is a big but, dealing with crosses in the Premier League is much much harder than in Spain. The Premier League is much more physical and has much stronger and taller players. I could go either way on this. I think whoever plays better should end up starting and I don't mind if takes a little while to figure that out.

Is he? I watch Courtois and he is far too cavalier when it comes to dealing with crosses.

Is he? I watch Courtois and he is far too cavalier when it comes to dealing with crosses.

Possibly, but he's decisive and he clears players out when he comes. Cech's problem isn't that he's cavalier or too timid, it's that he's somewhere in between.

Possibly, but he's decisive and he clears players out when he comes. Cech's problem isn't that he's cavalier or too timid, it's that he's somewhere in between.

Cech doesn't know when to go or stay, Courtois always goes... both of them have their weaknesses but I suppose you'd rather have someone be positive all the time than someone who is indecisive.

I think Thibaut's injury could well have made up Jose's mind as to who will start the season as number one, at least for the Burnely match. Courtois has got, what? 45 minutes of match time in preseason so far? I don't think he's match fit yet.

Looking more and more likely that he could be off. I hope that isn't the case.

Is it? Because Courtois started the last friendly? Courtois was injured and missed the two previous games, with Cech and Aussie played in, so it was clear Thibaut would have the full 90 against Sociedad.

Also, for any goalkeeping nerds like me, these are the new gloves he's sporting:

3528-1105.jpg

Is it? Because Courtois started the last friendly? Courtois was injured and missed the two previous games, with Cech and Aussie played in, so it was clear Thibaut would have the full 90 against Sociedad.

Also, for any goalkeeping nerds like me, these are the new gloves he's sporting:

3528-1105.jpg

We need to get rid of someone, and it looks like it will either be him or Mikel. It has nothing to do with Courtois whatsoever, but the fact that we have too many players who aren't HG.