Everton v Chelsea

Jase

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could see the logic in any selection here. Ramires workrate makes us more defensively solid, but Oscar has the ability to pick a pass and get a goal. Willian also has that workrate and ability to hit teams on the counter whilst this is exactly the type of game you'd want someone like Schurrle to nick a goal.

Just got to trust Jose and once again rejoice in the fact we have these selection issues, compared to a couple of seasons ago when everyone could predict the team 6 weeks in advance.

Courtois, Azpi, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Matic, Costa and Hazard nailed on. Fabregas almost certain to start.

Choices between Oscar, Schurrle, Willian and Ramires.

lol

If Oscar is to play i doubt he'll be pushed out wide, IMO Mourinho would instead play Ramires out there to balance things out. It may look pretty uninspiring with him out on the wing but it gives Cesc and Oscar more freedom to push forward.

Courtois

Iva - Cahill - Terry - Azpi

Cesc - Matic - Oscar

Ramires Hazard

Costa

Personally i wouldn't play Oscar in this match, nothing against him it's just that i prefer a midfield of Ramires, Matic and Cesc for this match. We also need pace on the wings.

My team would be;

Courtois

Ramires - Matic

Cesc

Willain Hazard

Costa

We've lost 3 of our last 5 games there. Everton aren't an easy team by any means, especially at Goodison. Very naive prediction.

It's not a pre-match thread without someone making ridiculous prediction.

I know this probably isn't a popular opinion, but for me, Ramires naturally comes in for Cesc, not Oscar. That or he comes in on the right wing for Schurrle.

Oscar didn't start a lot of big games last season... And that was without Fabregas. To me Fabregas is pretty much a nailed on started for most games, but he'll play more as a 10 in this one.

As great as Ivanovic has been these first two matches, I think I'd personally go with Azpi and Luis as our fullbacks. Ivanovic struggles against wide players with pace. Azpi is the best 1 on 1 defender in the league so having him on Baines' side would make sense. He's also got the recovery speed that Iva just doesn't have.

Oscar didn't start a lot of big games last season... And that was without Fabregas. To me Fabregas is pretty much a nailed on started for most games, but he'll play more as a 10 in this one.

Hope not. Need someone to control the game in the midfield for us and I don't think he would have the energy to patrol, press Everton's pivot like Oscar does. If we start with 4-2-3-1, then it's either Willian or Oscar in the No.10 role.

If Oscar is to play i doubt he'll be pushed out wide, IMO Mourinho would instead play Ramires out there to balance things out. It may look pretty uninspiring with him out on the wing but it gives Cesc and Oscar more freedom to push forward.

Courtois

Cesc - Matic - Oscar

Ramires Hazard

Costa

Personally i wouldn't play Oscar in this match, nothing against him it's just that i prefer a midfield of Ramires, Matic and Cesc for this match. We also need pace on the wings.

My team would be;

Courtois

Ramires - Matic

Cesc

Willain Hazard

Costa

Is Willian actually fast? He's looks nippy but does he actually have out and out pace?

As great as Ivanovic has been these first two matches, I think I'd personally go with Azpi and Luis as our fullbacks. Ivanovic struggles against wide players with pace. Azpi is the best 1 on 1 defender in the league so having him on Baines' side would make sense. He's also got the recovery speed that Iva just doesn't have.

Jose wouldn't do that.

Brenton definitely would, but Jose wouldn't.

Considering Mourinho didn't even play Luis against Burnley or Leicester, I doubt he would throw him straight to the deep end in an away game like this.

But some people only see black against white....We have better players so we WILL WIN! there is no point trying to tell them! they would argue that the sky aint blue!

That's not how football works, at all. Or do you have another explanation for April 14th? Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland. At the bridge.

That was in a 4-2-3-1 where Jose went with Willian in some big games for his speed in pressing. In a 4-3-3, Cesc is much less dynamic than Rami and Oscar. If we are going to press high, even in a 4-2-3-1, Cesc certainly won't play the 10 role, imo. He just doesn't have the speed and energy of Oscar or Willian.

This might be a tough one. We have to handle the tempo just right, Everton play a free flowing fast paced game. I would like Luis to get a shot but as others have said this might not be the game to see what he's made of but I also feel if he's that good he can handle it. We'll see what Mourinho does.

I would let Willian get the start at RW. Not only is he perfect for attacking on the counter but he'll make his presence know tracking back on defense.

Is Willian actually fast? He's looks nippy but does he actually have out and out pace?

I personally think he has plenty of pace, he doesn't always show it on the ball but he does occasionally out run two or three players like last match and against United at home last season. Without the ball I always see him sprinting up and down the pitch.

On the contrary, this is (imo) absolutely not the match to go in with Azpi and Luis as our fullbacks. Ivanovic's recovery speed won't matter too much because I doubt he'd get as far forward as he has been doing recently, meaning there's less space in behind for him to protect. We'll probably see Coleman target Azpi and Ivan will be crucial in dealing with the crosses coming in from that side. Additionally there's the set-piece threat (in both boxes), which assumes even more importance in away games where we see less of the ball and hence create fewer chances from open play. Tbh I think there's a bigger chance of us going in with Ivan and Luis than Azpi and Luis.