Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

I too believe, those days when Roman just signed a blank check are long gone. Somehow, some posters here think it´s up to Jose whom he gets. Lol.

You are also correct, Jose will be under big pressure to play much better football & most of all win something or trigger happy boss just might pull his strings real fast.

In top clubs the days of manager deciding every single aspect of football is over unless you are Arsenal or MU but we don't know LVG situation will play out. All the clubs from Liverpool, Spurs, City, us, Real, Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Napoli...etc now all have football directors and they will consult with managers over deals, but not reliance on them entirely.

That is because of the job demand of top level manager, who knows if they sack their managers they will be stuck with the players preferred by that manager, so the best way is to sign players that have a long term future at the club and can fit multiple manager's styles, not just one.

In top clubs the days of manager deciding every single aspect of football is over unless you are Arsenal or MU but we don't know LVG situation will play out. All the clubs from Liverpool, Spurs, City, us, Real, Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Napoli...etc now all have football directors and they will consult with managers over deals, but not reliance on them entirely.

That is because of the job demand of top level manager, who knows if they sack their managers they will be stuck with the players preferred by that manager, so the best way is to sign players that have a long term future at the club and can fit multiple manager's styles, not just one.

Correct.

I also believe that Roman over the years had learned a lot about football & has his vision about the team. He certainly didn´t hire Jose to park his bus, I feel.

As we found out about Hazard today, getting No 10 his role will change a bit. Perhaps, it will be for the better, finally.

Actually I'm desperate to believe he can because we're looking to punt £30 million on him. I actually want players who play for this club to do well, but I'm not going to be convinced by a few diagrams from the esteemed writer Amlan Majumdar (FYI that's the name of the guy whose blog you linked to).

No. Each of those players has more urgency about their play and a lot more bite to their game. Alonso was a bit of a dirty cunt at times and could put in a tackle. Modric is a zippy little barstard who was MOTM for me in the CL final because he really sped up the play and moved that ball around quickly, something I don't think Fabregas does consistently. Koke seems to have that strength and tenacity about him too.

It's the lack of physicality that worries me both with the ball, and when he'll be asked to harry that opposition (because contrary to popular belief even flat-track teams will attack occasionally).

I hope I'm wrong, because it's a lot of money to gamble on a player but he just doesn't fit the mould of players we've bought in the last year, or the type of player we try and mould in the Academy. Out of every player we've had here in the last two years, the closest in style to Fabregas would be either Mata or De Bruyne.

It's not about whoever wrote that blog post tbh (it was written over two years ago) - I was merely trying to reinforce that at Arsenal he has played in a midfield two before so him playing deep here wouldn't be anywhere near as foreign as it would be for someone like Oscar or KDB; but fair enough, those are valid concerns.

I do believe that under a more constructive and balanced manager like Jose, Fabregas can be a lot more proactive with his defensive duties, just like someone like Modric is. Fabregas isn't as soft as someone like Mata or KDB, he was always in the thick of things at Arsenal and is already used to the PL direct, hustle and bustle nature - plus he's a much better fit in general in the PL because he's more direct in his play than his Barcelona team mates.

I think at his age he's also actually an ideal bridge for the likes of Chalobah, Baker (who is pretty similar to him as a player), RLC etc.

£30m for a PL proven world class CM is just something you shouldn't pass on. One could make the argument that Koke or Pogba would perhaps be better signings and I wouldn't really disagree, but both are out of reach - Koke is obviously more interested in staying in Spain or going to Barca as Xavi's heir, whilst Pogba's price is too astronomical compared to Fabregas'.

As with any transfer there are risks attached but honestly if the board and Jose are also backing this then honestly all we can hope is that Fabregas does have the capabilities to play in that 2 next to Matic or in a 3 with Oscar or Ramires and Matic. We'll just have to wait and see if this actually goes through and until Jose makes the outline for his plans for the squad a bit clearer.

If he does come here then I really do not think he will show the same passion he did at Arsenal and Barcelona. Chelsea was never a club he fancied and for me it'll seem weird because I'll be seeing someone play just because he had no other better option.

Yes he's a great player but sometimes I want players like Schurrle to join us because they genuinely want to play and represent the club that they truly support. 30m is a lot of money to spend on a player so it definitely won't be a short term solution.

Too many coincidences for this to happen it's honestly inevitable.
1. Lampard leaves

2. Cesc has idolised Lampard, tho. has always had arguments with him.

3. He is homegrown.

4. He is cheaper.

5. He doesn't get enough playing time and when he does he is usually put up as a winger.

6. If that's the case, we have no problem about his wages too.

7. We just sold David Luiz, who was considered mostly a midfielder. So now there is one spot and he will slot in it.

If this fails it would be because:
1. Wenger wants him.

2. He doesn't want to go to Chelsea and prefers to stay at Barca

Anything else I am missing, because I am shocked at how this can be a match made in heaven in the transfer window.

I don't buy into this 'He won't have the passion because he is ex-Arsenal' stuff, he's like all footballers, he's a winner and he wants to achieve things. He can achieve things here he never did with Arsenal and that's lift the Premier League title. We offer location he knows, a league he knows and CL football and what for me is classed as a small thing is the #4 shirt.

I've got a feeling this will happen.

Shame Gundogan of all players had to be injured whole season...if he had another great season, he would be on top form, is perfect player we need in pivot because he is fast, creative, defends everything...he wouldnt cost fortune because he had just 2 year contract

I don't buy into this 'He won't have the passion because he is ex-Arsenal' stuff, he's like all footballers, he's a winner and he wants to achieve things. He can achieve things here he never did with Arsenal and that's lift the Premier League title. We offer location he knows, a league he knows and CL football and what for me is classed as a small thing is the #4 shirt.

At worst he will do a Torres and constantly talks to the media about how he had top managers in his career with reference to Wenger, Pep, Jose...etc. But if he works as hard on the pitch and do his best then that is more than enough. RVP moved to MU and despite loving Arsenal for 7-8 years, now he is treating them as nothing but an opposition that he likes to score again.

Also Fab loved Barca so much but now he is being forced out, doesn't mean he starts hating the club but he will leave despite his love instead of fighting for his place because he knows he is appreciated elsewhere like us at Chelsea.

I think it will, too. As I posted Koke and Pogba unlikely due to one being more than likely Barca bound and one being about 15m more expensive. The news about Fab being a board decision was from a portugese guys tweet

Sooner or later we'll know whether he was bought in to play the number 10 role or in the pivot (or both), if Cesc is the only midfielder we bring in than i think it's safe to presume he'll be playing in the pivot, with Luiz and Lampard gone, not to mention Mikel seems on the way out, we are pretty short in that department. The Telegraph did mention briefly that Mourinho wants Cesc and Koke/Pogba but i'm not sure how true that is. Regarding Koke he's another one who has rarely played deep in midfield, this season he's mostly played on the right of a 4-4-2, Gabi and Tiago/Suarez were the two in midfield... i'm not saying he cant play in the pivot because he has all the right attributes but who's to say Jose doesn't envision him playing higher up the pitch?

After all this talking it would be hilarious if we get Paulinho... :lol:

At the same time, some are desperate to believe he can't. I have made my point throughout the thread several times, that blog post just reinforces exactly what I think.

If we sign him it'll obviously be with the approval of Jose. Fabregas is quite a similar type of player to most that you've mentioned - Modric, Koke, Alonso...

If Jose doesn't want Fabregas we won't sign him. The team is being built in Jose's image, and if that includes signing Fabregas then you can't really say Fabregas is not a Jose-type player.

That blog proves nothing, since when is 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 include a pivot?