Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

9 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I am with Cesc here...

Same. It's why I rate Xavi so high above the likes of Scholes and Pirlo. Xavi was able to orchestrate the entire team, club and country, under immense pressure and zero space at times. CONSITENTLY. 

Anyone who's played CM can understand how difficult it is to lead a transition under pressure. 

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Same. It's why I rate Xavi so high above the likes of Scholes and Pirlo. Xavi was able to orchestrate the entire team, club and country, under immense pressure and zero space at times. CONSITENTLY. 

Anyone who's played CM can understand how difficult it is to lead a transition under pressure. 

I agree. I would even go as far saying that Xavi is the best midfielder I have seen with my own eyes ever. Never seen more greatness in midfield

• 1 month later...

Was just on YouTube and a video came up on the side about Cesc’s time with us, my God, what a player. What a crazy signing that was, never expected it in a million years, or for him to take to a club like ours. 

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Yeah, but he was very good here only for season and a half. Even Giroud is bigger legend in my book. 

8e8a37b7e7c527a20875cbeee371d30f.png10123b16585eb32b189488ffce7a5904.pnge06920ce31a8197b4ed66a58df774e8a.pngc65dbdffcab67f844eadb65158c0cdee.png

35cb8601920e147ab7cb2ddeae57fc3c.png74d3983f702c5592fa3481a6ffbfe3b7.png

4 and half seasons

and in around 3.75 seasons worth of minutes (due to injuries at the end)

22 goals, 57 (plus 2 in PL2 rehabbing for one game) assists

6 goals and 15 assists per a full season's minutes

and one of those full seasons was that absolute shitter of a team (2015/16) so his stats suffered there

look at the pure dross we brought in (other than Pedro)

dda673ac9506ffac74c71ad3552e0d50.png

bbe62a35a17f5f509e7a12fe9c06ae34.png

16 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Yeah, but he was very good here only for season and a half. Even Giroud is bigger legend in my book. 

Away and stop talking nonsense 😂

Cesc was pivotal for us in the Mourinho and Conte title wins. He had like what over 30 assists in both of those seasons combined?

Edited by OneMoSalah

On 12/05/2021 at 19:24, NikkiCFC said:

I am with Cesc here...

simple way to look at it

what is harder to do on a decent (doesn't even have to a great one) team in a Big 5 league

get 15 assists or 20 goals?

neither is easy but 15 or more assists is really much more rare

last season, only 20 players total had over SIX assists all season in the EPL

only 5 were even in double digits

5f805358d587f99ca70d9db597efb144.pngb80831e95d97e0ef694dcc171b7ecac0.png

Edited by Vesper

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Away and stop talking nonsense 😂

Cesc was pivotal for us in the Mourinho and Conte title wins. He had like what over 30 assists in both of those seasons combined?

And this is why I said season and a half. Mourinho winning season amazing, and in Conte winning season he played just less than 40% of all minutes in the league. 

No one was good when we finished 10th and in 2nd season with Conte he was also very average. Liability defensively at times. His mistakes lead to 2 Barca goals in CL in 17/18. 

• 1 month later...

Cesc Fabregas confirms he will follow John Terry's lead after retirement

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Chelsea-cesc-fabregas-john-terry-24743878

Cesc Fabregas believes there is plenty of life left in the old dog and he's happy to be seen as the elder statesman in Niko Kovac’s Monaco ‘school’.

The 34-year-old, who accepts he is coming to the end of his playing days, has his eyes on coaching in the future, but thinks he still has a role to play in Monaco’s youthful and exuberant side.

Chelsea have seen a number of their former players move into coaching and Fabregas could become the next cab off the rank.

In recent seasons, John Terry, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard have all tried their hand and the Spaniard has admitted that he sees himself becoming a coach “quickly” after retirement.

Cesc Fabregas' former Chelsea teammate John Terry quickly went into coaching

But for now, Fabregas still has the energy and determination to help drive Monaco to an unlikely title challenge in the face of Paris Saint-Germain’s richly assembled super team.

“The closer the end comes, the more thoughts come to your mind, but at the same time, I love football a lot and I’m enjoying training everyday,” Fabregas told MirrorSport.

“Going to the training ground, staying here with the boys, learning new things, competing, trying to make things difficult for the coach and I just feel like I can still play.

“Of course, the way Niko [Kovac] likes to play is very aggressive, very intense, a lot of sprints, a lot of runs at high intensity.

“This is something that is maybe not so much into my game - not only now, but ever - but I’m learning, I’m improving, I’m doing good numbers and for this reason I still feel the energy to keep playing.”

Fabregas has one year remaining on his current deal with the Ligue 1 club, after which he will make a decision whether he will continue on the pitch, or transition into a role off it.

Fabregas is happy to be the experienced man in a youthful Monaco team

He continued; “This is my last year here, then I’ll see what I want to do. I’ll see where my head is and what I want to do, but yes, it is something that I want to do in the future, going into coaching quickly after I retire, whenever that is.

“But here is a good place to be because a lot of young players are willing to learn, they ask questions, they want to improve, they let themselves be advised on many things, so it’s great for me to have this approach with them.”

After working with the likes of Arsene Wenger, Pep Guardiola, Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho, there isn’t much that Fabregas hasn’t seen from a manager.

However, in Kovac, he has been given a glimpse at one other style of coach, the teacher to Monaco’s schoolchildren.

“I think every manager needs to adapt to whatever they have, I’ve been very lucky to play for big clubs, with big teams and big players.

“Here is a little bit different, the approach here, you have to understand most players are 19,20, 21. So for Niko and the players, this is the school and Niko is the teacher.

“He reapets things a lot, to put things into their minds, little things, like reminding them to drink water everyday. That’s something new for me.”

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Cesc Fabregas retires from professional football at age of 36

https://theathletic.com/4657921/2023/07/01/cesc-fabregas-retires/

Cesc Fabregas

Former Arsenal and Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas has retired from professional football at the age of 36.

Fabregas hangs up his boots following a successful career which saw the Spaniard win two Premier League titles with Chelsea, a La Liga with Barcelona and an FA Cup with Arsenal.

He also lifted the World Cup and two European Championships while representing Spain. Fabregas was capped 110 times by his country between 2006 and 2016.

The 36-year-old will now turn his attention to coaching with Fabregas staying at Serie B side Como, the club he played for last season, to coach their under-19 and B sides.

Fabregas said of his decision to retire: “It is with great sadness that the time has come for me to hang up my playing boots.

“From my first days at Barca, Arsenal, Barca again, Chelsea, Monaco and Como, I will treasure them all. From lifting the World Cup, the Euros, to winning everything in England and Spain and nearly all the European trophies, it has been a journey that I’ll never forget.

“All those who have helped me, my team-mates, coaches, directors, presidents, owners, fans and my agent. To all my family, from my parents and my sister to my wife and kids, I cherish your advice, mentorship and guidance. To my opponents who tried to knock me, thank you for making me stronger.

“It has already been more than worth it with all the great memories and friends that I have made on the way. I’ve also learnt three languages and became more compassionate and wiser along my travels.

“I lived experiences that I never thought in a million years I would even come close to. It’s not all sadness though as I’m now going to cross the white line and start coaching the B and Primavera teams of Como 1907. A club and a project I couldn’t be more excited about. This charming football team won my heart from the first minute and came to me at the perfect time in my career. I will grab it with both hands.

“So after 20 incredible years full of sacrifice, dedication and joy, it’s time to say thank you and goodbye to the beautiful game. I loved every minute. Cesc.”

• 1 month later...

Cesc Fàbregas: ‘Coaching is making me see the game in a whole new way’

I played at the top level for 20 years but still learn new things about football every day. That is the beauty of this game I love

By The Coaches’ Voice for the Guardian Sport Network

Cesc Fàbregas
Thu 31 Aug 2023 07.00 EDT

It’s a strange feeling, the last days of being a football player. Throughout my 20 years at the top level, I looked ahead to the day when I’d have to hang up my boots with a little panic. But in the world of coaching, I’ve found my passion. My role at the Serie B club Como 1907 is making me see the game in a whole new way, and it’s making this transition into life after playing a little easier.

I had first started thinking about becoming a coach after turning 30. Three years later, I was playing for Monaco when the coronavirus lockdowns arrived. In France the league stopped completely. Suddenly, I was confined to my house with a lot of free time. I had four months at home so dedicated myself to learning new things and improving the way I see the game.

I watched a lot of football and still do. I’m obsessed with the game. Every day I watch two or three matches. I analysed the games we played at Como, where I spent the last season of my career, and I played games with myself. What I would do if I was the coach? How would my team play and how would I react to certain situations?

I try to have phone calls with people who have been in the game for a long time. My aim is to improve, so I want to talk and debate. I want to take ideas from people around me. This is something I’m really passionate about. In my career as a player, I worked under Arsène Wenger, Pep Guardiola, José Mourinho, Antonio Conte, Luis Aragonés and Vicente del Bosque. I’ve been very, very lucky.

It’s not always about the very best, though. You have to learn from any kind of coach. Through talking to people in the game, through debating, you can pick up ideas, both positive and negative. Some coaches do things you wouldn’t do yourself in the same situation. You also have to learn what not to do.

As a coach, the most important thing is how you convince your players to play your way of football. I believe in that strongly. Now, when I think about implementing my own ideas and methodology as a coach, many, many things will come from Arsène. For me, on the pitch, he was No 1. I came to Arsenal at 16 and, from such a young age, he taught me and trusted me enough to put me in the team. He made me see football on another level.

Arsène Wenger and Cesc Fàbregas at training. Arsène Wenger and Cesc Fàbregas at training. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

Over eight years at the club, he worked on me a lot – both one-to-one and collectively within the team. He studied the best players in the world and came up with a number: they were scanning 15, 20 times before they received the ball. If you want to be a top midfielder, this is what’s needed.

He would insist on playing forward from midfield and would drill into me the idea that adopting the correct posture – opening up your body to receive – was key. If you are looking back at the ball and closing yourself off, or have a bad posture, you will never be able to look forward – not with one touch, or even with two.

Arsène is where my obsession with looking forward comes from. He made me realise that it’s the best attribute a midfielder can have. When I coached kids myself – while completing my coaching badges – I told them the same thing: we need to attack the opposition’s goal, that’s where we need to look. How are you going to accomplish that? This is the task of the coach. Teaching players how to change their posture; how to look two, three, four or five times.

Another thing I learned from Arsène is how important it is to have good communication with the players. He was someone you could look to for leadership because you knew he had a plan for you. You could trust him with absolutely anything. He would always treat you as his son. That’s the feeling we all had as players. We trusted him and that trust went both ways – he trusted me on the pitch.

Pep was the same. In some ways, at least. The two see football in the same way, and their training sessions were quite similar. When I spoke to Pep at Barcelona, even before I signed the contract, he told me what he wanted from me. To come and play in the way the “pequeñitos” – the small, technical players – play.

I’d played with Xavi and Andrés Iniesta in the national team and, along with Leo Messi, we’d all come through Barcelona’s youth system. Pep wanted me to play the same way. I think he trusted the feeling that Leo and I had between us. We had known each other for a long time and really understood each other; we had a good connection.

In terms of character, though, Pep was different. Arsène had been friendly and close with the players, but Pep maintained his distance much more. He could be a little more aggressive in his message, but it has worked for him very, very well.

The success of two such different characters shows that, in football, you need to be yourself. You need to believe in what you are doing, have a clear idea and transmit that message to your players, your staff and upstairs. That’s it.

By the time of my second stint in England, things were different. I had arrived at Arsenal when I was still a boy and Arsène developed me slowly – I was like his son. Now, at José Mourinho’s Chelsea, I was a man. Mo would send me messages; he would speak to me every day. His manner made it clear that I was one of the most important players in the squad. It was a different kind of trust to that I’d had with Arsène. It was powerful. He played with my mind in a way no one else had before and that got the best out of me. I played such good football under him.

Cesc Fàbregas scoring a goal for Chelsea Cesc Fàbregas won the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup while at Chelsea. Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images

After Mourinho at Chelsea, came Antonio Conte. Conte was the coach that worked me most tactically and physically. Tactically, he always wanted to tell you exactly what to do on the pitch. It worked well for some time – we won the 2016-17 Premier League, but it was always the same thing. Personally, this didn’t motivate me as much.

I always felt that my power came from my intuition on the pitch – knowing where to find the space at the right time. When you’re on the pitch, every situation depends on how the opponent is set up to face you. Are they close to you or are they giving you more space? Are they coming from the right or the left?

For me, you can’t tell a player to do the same thing every time. In midfield, you need to have so many solutions to find the right play and the next ball, especially when you want to play forward. When teams started to study us closely and understand how we were playing, it became very difficult for us to adapt. We only had one way.

This is why my idea of football is to try to help my players to be as good as they can in every situation. It’s not easy. It takes a lot of time and dedication, individual meetings, collective meetings. But I believe this is the best way for a player to feel powerful on the pitch.

In the national team, I also started playing when I was very young. Luis Aragonés gave me my debut at 18. He gave me the opportunity to play in one of the best Spanish national teams ever. I’ll always be thankful for that. He trusted me a lot and he wanted me to play the way I was playing at Arsenal.

Tactically, he would play me higher up the pitch: No 8, No 10, in and around the opponents’ box. I scored a lot of goals under him. He gave me freedom and I played some of my best football. When Del Bosque came in, my role changed a little. I was the 12th player.

We were a squad who had known each other for a long time and he was able to take advantage of that. He built a very strong group, with a lot of good values. Any time there was a small problem, he would intervene calmly and put it right.

Obviously, we had a really, really good team. But Vicente is one of those coaches who brings this calmness to players and into the training ground. It’s incredible how relaxed he made us feel. Football is not perfect. You can make a mistake in a pass, in transition, when shooting. He gave you that trust: it’s OK, it’s the next one that counts. We really appreciated him, both as a man and as a coach.

Fàbregas is now on the coaching staff at Como in Serie B. Fàbregas is now on the coaching staff at Como in Serie B. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images

I’ve been blessed to work under some of the very best. I don’t think I know everything just because I played 20 years at the top level. I know that this is a very long project for me. I’m only 36. I’m still young when it comes to coaching and I have so much to learn.

The amazing thing about this sport, this job, is that every day you can learn new things. Every day there are new systems, new ideas and new players with different qualities. That’s the beauty of this game that I love. I need to take the right steps and surround myself with the right people, people who want to work and to improve. This is very important for me as a coach.

Obviously, you always think about the future and where you see yourself coaching and managing. There are top leagues everywhere: Spain, Germany, Italy, France, and of course it’s a dream for every player and coach to work in the Premier League. I always try to take it step by step. Work as much as I can, analyse as much as I can, learn as much as I can. We will have to see where the future takes me. But whenever that next opportunity comes, I want to be ready.

Edited by Fernando