Samuel Eto'o

nadavTKL

New Chelsea signing Samuel Eto’o has walked out on the Cameroon national team after their 1-0 victory over Libya. The forward told his team mates that he was leaving the group and he didn't return to the hotel with the rest of the squad.
Their win over Libya today meant they clinched the final qualifying spot for the play offs for next year’s World Cup in Brazil. French newspaper L’Equipe reported that Eto’o had told the team he was leaving the squad for personal reasons and he wouldn't be coming back with them. According to L’Equipe he wanted the national coach to select players he felt should be in the team but the manager didn’t back down. The situation was so bad that they had to bring in the country’s sports minister to solve the problem but to no avail.
It has been reported the player hasn't trained all week with Cameroon as they prepared for the crucial game against Libya. It's not known if this is the end for Eto'o and Cameroon but it's certainly not the first time he's had disagreements with those in charge of the national team.
He's even been quoted slating team mates. In October, Sky Sports found quotes of him reacting badly to being compared to Alex Song and suggestions there was a rivalry between the pair "We are not involved in a conflict between two star players.
"I am among the best players in the world and Song is not even among the best players in Cameroon."
If this is the end for Eto'o and Cameroon, and that would be unlikely with the World Cup on the horizon, then it could suit Chelsea. What could suit both is him only being available for matches he wishes to play in, dependent on what Cameroon would make of that. Whether they'll let him pick the team, as he seems to think he should be able to, is another matter entirely.

Great news. He can concentrate on helping Chelsea win games.

Great news. He can concentrate on helping Chelsea win games.

agreed. I'm having problem with reliable sources though. But it has been well reported that he has definitely played his last game for Cameroon and is looking to retire.

Well, Eto´o might have played his last game, but according to the news he picked up a knock.

Now, if I add it all up, I see Hazard, Oscar & Eto´s all slightly injured.

Not a very good news for Chelsea, is it ?

Lucky we have Willian, Mata, KDB, Schurrle and Torres who was more than likely to start anyway ;)

Indeed. Well, Hazard will be missed at least, but I don't think we will miss Oscar that much as we can just play Mata. I want Mata to start against Everton even if Oscar is fit so I'm not that worried about Oscar as long as he is just out for a single game or maybe two.

I just wish he still has the fire in his belly ! You know that Sammy Eto'o fire... the type that grabs the game by the scruff of its neck and leads by pure example. Pressuring the centre back making runs into the space and being a genuine danger for 90 mins !

Well I don't think this is too much of a surprise is it? It's been documented that Eto'o hasn't been happy with Cameroon's football association for a long-while now. It's always been a political battle between Eto'o and the federation, so I equally wouldn't be surprised if he didn't end this 'retirement' in the next 12-months (especially if they make the World Cup)

I have a completely different level of respect for guys who still play on black boots. A whole different level.

Me too! Or actually I like black, and white boots. I don't like those fancy colourful boots which most of players wear nowadays.