Willian

Jase

I just cannot see Levy offering a big money 3 year contract to a soon to be 32 year old. As unlikeable as he is, he's clearly not an idiot when it comes to business and surely even he knows that Mourinho is almost certainly not going to last the terms of that 3 year contract and the club will be left with an ageing, declining player on big money for a new manager to deal with.

In the current situation (we don't know the effects for our football club), I wouldn't be against offering Willian a 2 year contract if we're holding back on spending money this summer (I'd rather keep Willian over Pedro if the choice is there) but in no way should he be getting a 3 year contract at his age and with his inconsistencies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chelsea are still waiting to find out whether or not Willian and Pedro will sign contract extensions to play for the club past June 30 with the pair worried over what will happen if they suffer serious injuries.

Telegraph Sport understands both players are open to the prospect of signing extensions to the end of the season, but progress has been held up over what would happen if either player sustained an injury that could leave them without a club.

It means that with just over a week to go until Chelsea restart their season against Aston Villa, head coach Frank Lampard is unsure over whether or not he will be able to count on two of his most experienced players.

Willian and Pedro are both out of contract in the summer and have been the subject of interest from clubs in England and in Europe.

While the duo are keen to play out what may be their final seasons at Stamford Bridge, there is also concern over what would happen if they suffered an injury that prevented them finding a new club.

One solution would be for Chelsea to include clauses in any temporary extension that would guarantee them another short-term extension if they suffered an injury that prevented them joining a new club in the next transfer window.

But, given it has not been decided when the next transfer window will open and how long it will run for, the club would understandably be reluctant to make any such commitments.

Further complicating the situation of Willian has been the fact that Chelsea made what they believed to be a very good offer of a two-year extension to his deal only for the Brazilian to request three more years.

Signing a two-year contract would alleviate any of the fears the 31-year-old has over the threat of sustaining an injury during Chelsea’s run-in to this season.

Willian has attracted interest from Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal, while Pedro has held talks with Roma - and Valencia have shown an interest in the former Barcelona man.

Negotiations with Willian and Pedro will continue, as clubs have until June 23 to reach an agreement with players whose contracts are due to expire at the end of the month.

But Lampard will hope to have some clarity from the pair as soon as possible. Other than Willian and Pedro, he has Christian Pulisic, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Mason Mount to choose from in wide positions.

Frank Lampard making plans for life at Chelsea without Willian and Pedro in case duo depart

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/06/16/frank-lampard-making-plans-life-chelsea-withoutwillian-pedro/

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard has been making plans in case Willian and Pedro Rodriguez do not extend their contracts past June 30.

With less than a week to go before players whose contracts are due to expire at the end of this month must sign temporary extensions to take them to the end of the delayed season, Chelsea are yet to receive clarity on the intentions of Willian and Pedro.

That means Lampard has had to use this mini pre-season ahead of Chelsea’s first game back against Aston Villa on Sunday to make plans in case the pair decide not to play on.

Players have until June 23 to sign temporary extensions, otherwise they will not be able to play on after June 30. That means Willian and Pedro will certainly be available for the Villa game, plus the visit of Manchester City and the FA Cup tie against Leicester City.

But Lampard is having to give consideration to a scenario in which he could be without the pair for the seven Premier League games after that and has tested a number of players in their positions.

Lampard has fit-again Christian Pulisic and winger Callum Hudson-Odoi who can comfortably step in for Willian and Pedro, while midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek’s return offers him further options.

Mason Mount has played wide left on a number of occasions this season, while Loftus-Cheek has himself been used in forward positions in the past and underlined his goal threat with a brace in the friendly against Queens Park Rangers.

Lampard has been careful not to allow Chelsea to give away too many clues from their training sessions and games, but it is understood players have been rotated heavily in the wide positions.

Willian has previously claimed he would be happy to play out the remainder of the season with Chelsea, even if he leaves the club in the next transfer window. But he and Pedro are yet to commit themselves amid suggestions that the duo are concerned about what would happen if they sustained injuries over the run-in.

Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal have shown an interest in Willian, who took part in a number of unapproved interviews regarding his future after flying to Brazil during the coronavirus lockdown, while Roma and Valencia have held talks over a move for Pedro.

Losing two of his most experienced players for the run-in, with Chelsea competing for Champions League qualification and the FA Cup, would be a blow to Lampard but the club can do little more than wait to see if Willian and Pedro sign up.

Further complicating negotiations over this season has been the fact that Willian rejected Chelsea’s offer of a new two-year contract, insisting he wanted a three-year extension.

On 16/06/2020 at 9:11 PM, Jason said:

Further complicating negotiations over this season has been the fact that Willian rejected Chelsea’s offer of a new two-year contract, insisting he wanted a three-year extension.

he is a cunt for not taking the 2 year

even at 33yo (granted soon 34) he can go on free to decent Serie A or La Liga or Ligue 1 team in summer 2022 and because it is a free they can pay him more in salary for a year or 2, then he can retire or go back to Brasil

clubs will pay him even at that age as he brings a shedload of experience and will still run himself into the ground, plus those are all slower leagues, especially Serie A. He can help a 16th, 15th place team get up 3 to 5 places and not stress out over relegation battles

Manchester United ‘open talks’ with Chelsea star Willian over free transfer this summer

https://www.thesportreview.com/2020/06/man-united-transfer-news-willian/

Manchester United have started talks with Willian’s representatives about signing the Chelsea FC forward on a free transfer in the summer, according to a report in France.

French media outlet France Football, as quoted by talkSPORT, is reporting that Manchester United have expressed an interest in striking an agreement with the Chelsea FC playmaker.

The same article states that the Red Devils have contacted Willian’s agent Kia Joorabchian to discuss the possibility of landing the free agent in the upcoming transfer window.

According to the same story, Willian could refuse to sign a short-term extension to his current deal past 30 June to see out the conclusion of the Premier League season.

The report adds that Manchester United could also be facing competition from Arsenal, Liverpool FC and Tottenham Hotspur for the experienced Brazilian winger.

snip

On 12/05/2020 at 3:17 PM, MoroccanBlue said:

If we get Mertens just ship him off 

OFFICIAL: Dries Mertens renews his contract with Napoli until 2022

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Transfers/OFFICIAL-Dries-Mertens-renews-his-contract-with-Napoli-until-2022/2370792

5 hours ago, Vesper said:

Bullet dodged. How tiny is Adl btw

19 hours ago, Fernando said:

I know @Vesper is mad that we never sold him but I often said that it was because we had no stability. 

every new manager that came in wanted to keep Willian. Conte, Sarri and Lampard. 

The problem is that once they knew he was not good, there was turmoil in the club. 

The fact we are doing good now in the transfer window is exactly because of that, Lampard is here and there is no turmoil. 

If we had stability we could have long gotten rid of duds. 

just to settle it once and for all (and ironically I want him to take the 2 year now, as that takes off mad pressure to buy another winger, although I can so live with the two he have (soon 3 with Ziyech) IF we buys Haverts who can cover at winger)

I am going to brutally fair here and list some that would have been large mistakes apparently

I obviously cannot add in players who were too young then (like Ferran Torres or Nicolò Zaniolo, although we were linked with Zaniolo even then, but totally as a an AMF, not a winger, which he is mostly now, or at least half the time)

I will lay out every single target (and other than the biggest cockup (granted hindsight) Sancho they are ALL left footers except for one other)

some would have been a bust

most not

and one tricky one

these were the RWers out there in summer 2018

and I am placing the £65m in the kitty for this exercise

Zaha (the tricky one I mentioned above, as he is better IMHO on the LW than the RW (he si right footed mostly but is sorta ambipedal) as he would have cost MORE than £65m, around £80m or so) would  he have been worth it? Impossible to tell now, it depends how much you rate him, the big upside back then was we wold have gotten 5 or 6 prime years out of him, downside now is he turns 28 in November, so thsi is really the last big go round on the transfer market for him, as next summer he will be 29 in a few months and no one is going to pay 70m or more for a player who turns 30yo after only one full season and then 3 months of having him. I think we missed out as he is over 4 years younger than Willian, and does offer a crazy amount of activity and dribbling, etc

Sancho (the big cockup in hindsight) he was already, after one year, showing major signs of being special ( 5 goals, 7 assist in only a third of season minutes as a mostly 17yo) and we could have brute force bought him (even overpaying at the time, as we had that £65m to burn,and I wager we could have waved 40m euros or so in Dortmund's face and they would have snapped it up) THAT type of deal is what a WC scouting department would have pulled off

Bernardo Silva a huge miss, I raged when Shitty got him, BUT that was 2017, the year before, so not germane to this (although it really is, as IF he had bought him in 2017, ALL this shit would be null and void, Willian would have surely been sold then in 2018, the next year, for the 65m or so) but still, GRRRRRRRRRRRR, my father was insanely pissed (he is a Monaco season ticket holder as he is there so much) Massive cockup, and to pour salt in the would, we ended u buying Bakayoko off them (although to be fair, that was my worst ever scouting job, so I cannot blame the board at all, it is why I never rip into them like I do about Drinkwater, who had FAIL written all over him)

Bernadeschi  has been shit since he moved to Juve,. we dodged a bullet it looks like, point to Marina and the board, so hat tip to them , and a bad Vesper to me (see, I am being fair)

Nabil Fekir super player, huge season in 2017-18 (23 goals, 8 assists, BUT is not a winger)

Leon Bailey  this one is tough, he was big target for me (we almost bout him way back in 2015, most have long forgotten), in 2018-19 he regressed, had issues, but know is rebounding. For £35m to £40m, I would take it now, as we would have a young player with huge upside who can play either wing, and we would have still had £30m or so left over (£75m if we had sold Alonso to RM as well) Point to me (I am sure many will sod off bish, lololol, but I am standing firm on this close run thing)

Filip Kostic (left footer who plays LMF BUT can play RW) he has been superb (accounted for 30 goals overall (18 assists!) this year (and counting), 23 the season before on a shit Eintracht team) and would have been a steal  I am putting this down as too obscure to rate, as other than wild toss out (not even sure if I did it on here or not) even I was not single minded bringing him up. One of the most underrated players in the EU.

Raphaël Guerreiro  too obscure (as a RW) to rate as a legit target for that position, as he hardly played there, despite being a left-footer, only mentioned for thoroughness

Federico Chiesa  another board cockup I think. Yes he would have cost £50m or so, but he is so young, so talented (he is basically ambipedal, but listed as a right-footer) point to me

Mikel Oyarzabal another board cockup, probably worse than Chiesa even, as he would have cost only around £35m or so, I really rate him, then and now, very under the radar overall

Malcom, deffo point to board, we dodged a bullet here it looks so far, and I had cooled off on him already by then too after really doing a deep dive

Nicolas Pepe wash plus too early to really tell how he plays, but in 2018 he would have been around half what Arse paid, as he was really pretty good, but had yet to have that massive year, I neve rpushed him then really, so, like a said, a wash, he was not a prime target then

Hakim Ziyech we finally got him, but another cockup, as he is 27 now, and he would have been only 25 (and was already playing like he does now)

David Neres see Ziyech (who plays in same lineup often) potentially a cockup, not as bad as Ziyech and especially not as bad as the next one..........

Pablo Sarabia  another huge cockup, he has been superb for years, he is PSG' leading goal scorer in calendar year 2020, vastly better than Willian, not even remotely close

Thomas Lemar he had already collapsed by summer 2018, one year wnder (2016/7 Mbappe team) it seems, thank fuck we never bought him

Suso, semi-wash to point, but leaning cockup as he would have only cost half or so of the Willian cash, and is hardly a poor player

bottom line

the board truly fucked up, especially if Willian walks on a free this summer and leaves us hanging with only 3 wingers (one of them, Ziyech who may be needed at AMF in some games as well) if we also miss out on Havertz

Unpopular opinion post...

Yes he should score more goals.  For sure.  But are we gonna pretend like there's another player who will cover the pitch like Willian?  And every single manager (Jose, Conte, Sarri, Lampard) keep picking him?  Is that an accident? 

giphy.gif