André Schürrle

BlueLion.

I read that you're Brazilian, I just started a topic on a Brazilian player in the section of the forum for signings, his name is Fabinho and now plays for Monaco but before juice at Real Madrid Castilla (U21) and debuted with Real Madrid thanks to Jose Mourinho after spending six months training every day with Jose. I think it might be a very interesting player.

I think you maybe know something more about Fabinho because you are Brazilian and I'm sure you can tell us more things about Fabinho.

http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/19611-fabinho/#entry1030847

I hope your comments!

I don't watch Brazilian football anymore... and I don't watch French either. Sorry I couldn't help :(

I've been done with our league for a couple of years now. This whole year I haven't watched one minute of Brazilian football as far as I remember

I don't watch Brazilian football anymore... and I don't watch French either. Sorry I couldn't help :(

I've been done with our league for a couple of years now. This whole year I haven't watched one minute of Brazilian football as far as I remember

OK. It doesn´t matter. Thanks for answering.

Regards.

you're all wrong. Skipper said so, we were told. Schurrle is amazing. anyone who says different doesn't understand football or that his horrible conversion rate at Bayer was due to intangible reasons not in his control. all wrong.

Unless there's something I am missing, not giving Salah a chance next game would absolutely not make any sense. None of Salah's performances was even near as bad as Schurrle's in his past four appearances.

I blame his name, if his name is Saladinho, I'm sure he would play more.

Andre is the type of player that would consistently get his game week in and week out at Arsenal, because his level right now would fit perfectly, but right now he isn't even at Willian's level. That second half we looked like a team, Willian gave us a directness and a level that seamlessly both helped in the counter attack style and work rate efficiencies that Jose wants.

I bet Jose had a serious word with Andre yesterday because that was really piss poor again, this is becoming far too common with this lad and his future looks bleak.

Games like yesterday showed the true value of genuinely useful squad players. On one hand you have Mikel who comes in and does a job 7-8 times out of 10 against all kinds of oppositions in all kinds of conditions, and on the other you have Schurrle who needs the external variables to be favourable to make any sort of impact. We required a big performance from him keeping in mind the demands placed upon a smallish squad in a busy period but he proved very inadequate. Maybe he needs a run of games but the harsh reality is that he won't get them if he fails so miserably in the ones provided - that's the nature of football at the pointy end. I don't want to be harsh on the guy because he's given us some good moments and bought into the team ethos but I'm feeling a bit silly for jumping on the bandwagon post the World Cup.

I don't think you should feel "silly" for getting your hopes up regarding Schurrle, J. He was genuinely awesome at the World Cup, and there were signs in the second half of last season and in the first half-dozen games of this campaign that he'd emerge from his background as a squad rotational player and make the RW slot his own.

If anything he's probably made up José's mind - if we indeed end up bringing in another wide player, it'll be Schurrle who'll be out the door first, arguably even before Salah.

I think we have to remind ourselves of the circumstances and time period when Schurrle was signed.

His signing coincided time-wise with Mourinho's return late in the 12/13 season, before the transfer window opened. So he was basically 99% signed by the time Mourinho was confirmed and all that needed to be done was for José to give the green light, which he did of course. Now we ask, why did he give the green light? Well maybe a few reasons:

1. It was already 99% done, the obvious one.
  2. Perhaps José didn't want to kick up a fuss as soon as he walked in the door.
  3. José probably didn't want to think of the alternative: not signing someone else and resorting to bring back Moses.
  4. José perhaos thought he could mould him into his 'type of player', ala Joe Cole and, more recently, Willian (who was lazy before he came here remember).

So the main thing to take away is that Schurrle isn't a Mourinho signing really; he's more a circumstantial signing and probably the last made by the board since they would never give Di Matteo or Benitez such power.

I personally like Schurrle, but like I mentioned in the match thread, he needs a very specific set of circumstances to perform well; a high-line, which not many will play against Chelsea - it's why he's mainly used as a substitute by us and Germany, and why he starts against teams like Arsenal.

I think he'll be replaced in the summer. The good thing is that I think he'll keep his value, because he is still perfect for many, many teams - just not the very top teams.

The summer would have been the perfect time to sell him if we wanted too.

On the back of the World Cup hype we could have got upwards of 30 mil for him.

But we also couldn't see how very poor his all round game has become since then. He even looked shite against Strawberry in the cup.

I think this thread go from the two extremes too easily.

Imo, those are 'facts' about André

1) he isn't as bad as he's been playing, he's out of form

2) he isn't as bad and useless as most of you are making him out to be

3) he isn't as good as some thought he was just after the WC

4) he's very good at certain things, meaning he's suited for only certain kinds of matches

5) he offers us options as he offers something completely different from our other AMs

6) having a player like him in the squad is very useful and important

7) he relies on confidence and playing time more than average player, exactly because of his style

Which leads me to believe we shouldn't sell him at all. He has an amazing vision of the pitch that leads him to be one of the smartest players in the league to position himself. That came sort of moot for us last season because we didn't have players to see him moving, but now we do. He can also score goals - which is always good - but he relies on confidence, he needs a stretch of games to regain confidence and get his finishing boots on. I think the illness and the WC hangover really affected his season and I don't think we'll see the best of him this season, but I believe he'll improve some.

He's useful, he's a good squad member and he has his head at the right place, he's aware of everything that went through with him and above all, he seems to have Mourinho's trust and Mourinho seems to see something special on him.

Someone - don't remember who - said that he wasn't much of a Mourinho signing because he was announced just a few days after Mourinho. Mourinho agreed verbally to come to Chelsea early as January-February (WHS would be able to confirm when). Both him and Lampard admitted he influenced on Lamp's renewal and that came in April or May. Mourinho wasn't coming here as the prodigal son, he had no reason to act 'humble' and low profile at the beginning. If he didn't want André here, he would have said no. Maybe he wasn't completely convinced, but seeing how he's handled André since the beginning, I think he's very much convinced of his utility and importance in the squad.

I don't believe Schurrle will ever have a captive place in our starting XI, and I guess he doesn't seem to have a problem with that. But I think he can (and hopefully will, if everything works out) become our 12th player. The one that starts a bunch of matches for us during the season and the first sub to come in for us in every match around mark 60. That's a good position to be in a club like Chelsea for a player of his caliber.