André Schürrle

BlueLion.

But we also couldn't see how very poor his all round game has become since then. He even looked shite against Strawberry in the cup.

Yeah for sure but he would have never been worth what we could have got for him after the WC.

I think Jose might have had that thought at the time which makes me think there was actually something in those Atletico rumours.

But we also couldn't see how very poor his all round game has become since then. He even looked shite against Strawberry in the cup.

Has his all round game ever been good. Even last season I never saw him give a complete performance (;) maybe arsenal at home) but even when he scored good goals , he always did mediocre passes and walked into defenders.

To echo what others said. Maybe try him in the middle supporting costa , making runs and shooting. Like Raul garcia did at atletico last season , and he also has a poor all round game

I think we have to remind ourselves of the circumstances and time period when Schurrle was signed.

His signing coincided time-wise with Mourinho's return late in the 12/13 season, before the transfer window opened. So he was basically 99% signed by the time Mourinho was confirmed and all that needed to be done was for José to give the green light, which he did of course. Now we ask, why did he give the green light? Well maybe a few reasons:

1. It was already 99% done, the obvious one.
  2. Perhaps José didn't want to kick up a fuss as soon as he walked in the door.
  3. José probably didn't want to think of the alternative: not signing someone else and resorting to bring back Moses.
  4. José perhaos thought he could mould him into his 'type of player', ala Joe Cole and, more recently, Willian (who was lazy before he came here remember).

So the main thing to take away is that Schurrle isn't a Mourinho signing really; he's more a circumstantial signing and probably the last made by the board since they would never give Di Matteo or Benitez such power.

I personally like Schurrle, but like I mentioned in the match thread, he needs a very specific set of circumstances to perform well; a high-line, which not many will play against Chelsea - it's why he's mainly used as a substitute by us and Germany, and why he starts against teams like Arsenal.

I think he'll be replaced in the summer. The good thing is that I think he'll keep his value, because he is still perfect for many, many teams - just not the very top teams.

That is incorrect. Jose said in a couple of interviews last year that he himself picked Schurrle and communicated to Chelsea to sign him before his return was officially announced. You're forgetting that decision to bring Jose back was agreed long before it was actually announced.

That is incorrect. Jose said in a couple of interviews last year that he himself picked Schurrle and communicated to Chelsea to sign him before his return was officially announced. You're forgetting that decision to bring Jose back was agreed long before it was actually announced.

I don't know if it came across right, but I know that part. The José stuff started in early 2013. However, we had been trying to sign Schurrle since the summer of 2012. That's why I do not think he is fully a José player; he gave the green light but he did not actively seek him like he did with Willian - and we can clearly see the difference between the two. That's my point.

I don't know if it came across right, but I know that part. The José stuff started in early 2013. However, we had been trying to sign Schurrle since the summer of 2012. That's why I do not think he is fully a José player; he gave the green light but he did not actively seek him like he did with Willian - and we can clearly see the difference between the two. That's my point.

Yes, I remember, we've been linked with him since summer 2012. In fact, I was watching the other day an old interview with him December 2012, he was having the Christmas break in UAE and had an interview with Abu Dahbi Sport channel and he actually confirmed that he was having talks with us.

But my point is that Jose explicitly said that he wanted Schurrle, not that he merely approved it. Obviously that's easy to say after we had signed him.

He has the same problems as Podolski at Arsenal. Both are more supporting strikers than wingers imo.

I have seen them both for a long time and in my opinion,they both are overrated.They both have good shooting skils and maybe they are fast,but that´s basically it.They are quite limited players to be honest.Chelsea overpaid for Schürrle

Which also makes me wonder if Mou had anything to do with Sturridge leaving, if Jose wanted to work with him he would have probably told him to hang on in there for 6 months.

Which also makes me wonder if Mou had anything to do with Sturridge leaving, if Jose wanted to work with him he would have probably told him to hang on in there for 6 months.

Hmmm, that is a possibility, but I just can't imagine him telling the club to hold onto Torres instead! :lol:

He has the same problems as Podolski at Arsenal. Both are more supporting strikers than wingers imo.

So, you're saying we should loan him to Inter? :P

you're all wrong. Skipper said so, we were told. Schurrle is amazing. anyone who says different doesn't understand football or that his horrible conversion rate at Bayer was due to intangible reasons not in his control. all wrong.

Are you drunk?

But my point is that Jose explicitly said that he wanted Schurrle, not that he merely approved it. Obviously that's easy to say after we had signed him.

Well you've just answered for me!

My point is that the first point with Schurrle was with the board/Emenalo, not Mourinho. That's it, and I think it says a lot about the disparity between the player and how José wants to play.

Surprised at the Willian hate. Willian's work rate alone gets him in the team. Not always easy to see on TV but watching him run around the pitch sometimes you wonder where his energy comes from.

As for Schurrle, he is a good player but I don't think the 4-2-3-1 system suits his style. Probably more suited to a 4-3-3. Would be better playing him through the middle in that system. He's down on confidence too but at Chelsea you can't give someone a run in the squad to get them back up to par. It's got to be the best team, everytime.

Willian is a much better all-around player. Very reliable defensively, and has a lot of potential to improve offensively. Very quick. Syncs with the team.

Schurrle is unpredictable. Awesome at the World Cup (if it were based on actual benefit to his respective team, I would award him best player of the tournament: made an impact on EVERY game he came into, and assisted the goal that won the tournament). But then completely failed to impress at Chelsea. Zero.

Salah is a mystery, with not enough playtime to judge. Brings a lot of flare when on the pitch, but not sure what that means in terms of emmm, future potential maybe?

I would sell Schurrle while I still can, loan Salah and see how he matures in a year or tow, keep Willian, and buy an experienced winger.