Fernando Torres

Apologies to those that do see his work off the ball & his contribution other than scoring - I was pointing a finger at the post on the match thread & to the many on here that persist on the negative side because he is not scoring. He needs a quality pass like the ones he supplied for Sturridge & Mata to get him scoring again. A tap in or lucky deflection will do, sometimes all it needs.

I was at the Bridge in the home game against Birmingham & his movement was superb, I lost count the amount times he could of been played in but the likes of Meireles & Mikel just didn't see it & just played safe, Alonso was the man for Torres, he needs a quality player behind who can see that pass. The jury is still out off course but a confident Torres could just make some people eat a very large slice!

I do notice these things, any persons would be blind to. His movement is better, he provides good passes and shows intelligence when he's not thinking about scoring. For this we can say his overall play has improved since last January. The thing is though, we need a striker in him to come out, we can't move his position (that would not work well for his confidence) so the only option is to drop him. Drogba, Torres, Lukaku all compete for that position, under Di Matteo the latter might get more chances now and Torres has to score goals to justify his place in the squad.

I know service is still the issue, but Torres has issues that go beyond service. Psychologically he's not right in front of goal, he's like a child who panics when he's one and one and when he's finally made his decision he'll either miss/allow the ball to be defended away. His assists have been good this season, I'll always recall that beautiful cross for Mata v. United.

He's a goal scorer, and those goal scoring instincts aren't with him.

He's exhausted my patience big time. He does try for the team most times and he doesnt get good service up front but then none of them do. Problem is he leads our line and he doesnt look like scoring,doesn't create much for himself, makes bad choices consistently, doesnt take penalties, is no threat from corners and doesnt take free kicks. If you were drawing up a list of strikers and someone said we've got a fella with all the above issues but he tries, you wouldnt touch him. I'll be very sad to see him go but thats where this is heading miserably.

Noticeably performed better when Brum were 2-0 down and pushing up. Relishes space. RDM should not use him against defensive teams, Drogba would be a better option in those situations.

Agreed, he should only be used in trainnig sessions...

I think that everyone should support him rather than put the guy down, last night you could see it in his eyes the but what if i miss. He is a chelsea player and should be supported through thick and thin. goal or no goal, id say a high percentage of high number of the people slating the guy was jumping around like clowns when he signed. Try supporting him.

I do notice these things, any persons would be blind to. His movement is better, he provides good passes and shows intelligence when he's not thinking about scoring. For this we can say his overall play has improved since last January. The thing is though, we need a striker in him to come out, we can't move his position (that would not work well for his confidence) so the only option is to drop him. Drogba, Torres, Lukaku all compete for that position, under Di Matteo the latter might get more chances now and Torres has to score goals to justify his place in the squad.

I know service is still the issue, but Torres has issues that go beyond service. Psychologically he's not right in front of goal, he's like a child who panics when he's one and one and when he's finally made his decision he'll either miss/allow the ball to be defended away. His assists have been good this season, I'll always recall that beautiful cross for Mata v. United.

He's a goal scorer, and those goal scoring instincts aren't with him.

A lot don't notice though, hence my comments - just look at his performance last night as example, good movement, should of had 3 assists, worked hard, nothing spectacular but done well all the same yet he still gets the detractors with the knives out. I'm under no illusion that he is nowhere near the player he was & I maybe wrong but it looks like he has lost a yard or 2 of pace which clearly doesn't help his cause.

I concur about the psychological thing but again that comes down to a lack of confidence & an extreme lack of service which is the root to most of those issues, Drogba rarely scores either, Anelka the same before he left, these are quality players albeit getting older but the same outcome - not scoring regularly. Mata & Sturridge are chipping in because they are getting the space provided for them by Drogba & Torres whilst coming from deep & wide positions, it is transparently clear that our CF problems are down to poor service, wrong formation (imo) & a distinct lack of quality.

Nonetheless I wouldn't be adverse to Lakuku getting game time & more pertinently Sturridge getting his chance there, you are quite right in that if it ain't working you have to change it, maybe now with DM at the helm things may change for the better in an attacking sense & he finds a way to get them scoring again.

Yeah great cross by Torres v Utd, but I thought his cross to Sturridge last night was even better, believe me that is far harder to execute keeping the ball low & away from the keeper & oncoming defenders, he had to hit with pace & put it right on Danny's toe - quality.

I would give him a few games in the reserves if he can't score there ,,,then get rid.

I would give him a few games in the reserves if he can't score there ,,,then get rid.

hahahahah this made me spit my tea all over my desk hahaha :lol: :lol:.

I think that everyone should support him rather than put the guy down, last night you could see it in his eyes the but what if i miss. He is a chelsea player and should be supported through thick and thin. goal or no goal, id say a high percentage of high number of the people slating the guy was jumping around like clowns when he signed. Try supporting him.

I will support him if he picked but im not going to treat him like cotton wool, fact is he has had many chances and has let us down.

I don't think Torres is suffering from lack of support, more like too much, i was cringing in the MHL in the Sunderland game when their were groans because this side of the ground found out it was Lampard that scored and not Torres.

Realistically, how much can we get for Torres? 10 million would be pushing it, no?

If it's true that PSG are in the hunt then maybe we could get 20-25 million, afterall his name still has value and for a rising club like PSG he would be great symbol to base their merchandise machine behind.