Fernando Torres

Blimey, this thread is hotter than the sun. He didn't even play today and still it burns on. This will definitely get over 1000 pages in time.

For the record, i think he's shit and must fuck off ASAP.

You're the TalkChelsea historian Ollie, have you come across a striker except for maybe Kezman and Chris Sutton who is as bad as Torres in front of goal ? That's the thing though, Hasselbaink scored mountains of goals in every club he played for, Haselbaink went to Spain in 1999 and he won the top goal scorer award even though he his team Athletico Madrid got relegated that season. Hasselbaink got 24 goals in 34 games in La Liga and Atheltico were the worst side in the league at that time, in fact he fed off scraps all season.

It is interesting that Torres has been regularly praised for his general play during his long run without scoring. Some think he is a better all-round player than he was at Liverpool but I think he is running from what he fears he can no longer do.

For me, the worst possible situation was to be in front of goal with an expectation to score. I was convinced I'd miss. You get far less stick for delaying a run into the penalty area than for getting there on time and missing. I would often be praised for my effort and attitude by fans, but everyone in the dressing room could see through me. It hardly needs to be said, but I was awful in every game I played at that time.

He should have played a part today. I agree with the substitutions but the first XI was abysmal so we should have been able to save one substitute and use it to bring Torres on. Mata, Sturridge & Torres ALL left out?!?! That's crap. You have to play at least ONE of them.

I disagree. RDM was clearly resting the three of them. Kalou, Drogba and Ramires is a sufficient front line to beat a shit team such as Stoke.

I disagree. RDM was clearly resting the three of them. Kalou, Drogba and Ramires is a sufficient front line to beat a shit team such as Stoke.

Are you suggesting Torres will start vs. Napoli? I'd be glad, I think he'd play well against the three man defense.

It is interesting that Torres has been regularly praised for his general play during his long run without scoring. Some think he is a better all-round player than he was at Liverpool but I think he is running from what he fears he can no longer do.

This guy has hit the nail on the head.

RDM :

"He has a psychological problem and only Fernando can unlock it.

"If he needs me, I am always here but it is obvious the change must come from him.

"He must not think about how much he cost the club.

"He must concentrate only on playing and not about scoring, or providing an assist or making a great play every time he touches the ball.

"He should not think about scoring goals, only about playing simple football. The rest will take care of itself.

"My approach with Fernando will always be a natural one."

"He just needs to regain his confidence," he added. "Fernando is still a great striker and I am sure he has not forgotten how to score goals.

"He is one of the strongest forwards in the world.

"He has scored so many goals in recent years and I'm sure he will continue to do so in the future. He will succeed because he is still young."

Don't think our midfield has the technique, composure to play like Bilbao did against United or the various other La Liga sides they've beaten this season.

I'm guessing you're formation would look something like this:

-----------------------Cech----------------------

-----------IVANOVICH----CAHILL-----JT--------

LUIZ--------------------------------------BERTRAND

-----------------ROMEU---Ramires--------------

----------------------Mata-------------------------

-------------Sturridge----DD/Torres------------

You weren't far off fella, this formation (changed with capitals & would have Sturridge on his favoured left side) I put this up a few weeks back on a thread in the MH section so I'm not trying to look clever because Athletico Madrid play this way, its purely & simply down to the fact that we play so many defensive minded teams that we don't need 4 defenders & a holding midfielder marking 2 or less opposition. This formation will get more of our players in advanced positions that will inevitably create more opportunitys for our strikers. I would then tweak the formation against attacking teams.

I quite agree we don't have the personnel that can play expansive football at this stage so we have to make do with what we have so putting the most technically gifted player at the club in Luiz as an attacking wing back instead of a position that doesn't suit his attacking instincts has got to be a win-win & with Mata being played in the hole it gives us so many more options.

I have to say I much prefer this formation & I applaud Bilbao & Bielsa for their brave approach, fans that pay to watch games would get their moneys worth watching this type of football, however I can't see any manager brave enough to implement it, even though it would provide a lot of answers for them.