UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

There are banana peels in every league. Benfica had won 9 straight games in the league and a slip was inevitable. Estoril played well, didn't park the bus, attacked, and are full marks for the result. One thing is for sure, even if Benfica had won today, they would play their 100% full strength team against Porto on Saturday, so this result doesn't impact the Europa League game too much. As someone else said, the Portuguese league is a strange one with Porto and Benfica head and shoulders above the other teams it ends up coming down essentially to a one game play-off for the title. Benfica can still tie the Porto game and wrap it up for all intents and purposes. In the end Benfica is two games away from the end of the league season in first place, in the final of the Europa League, and in the final of the Portuguese Cup. We can win the treble or win nothing. Squeeky bum season for the Benfiquistas.

Chelsea's game on Wednesday is hugely important, let's hope Chelsea wrap up the CL spot and the Benfica/Chelsea final is played with both teams 100% concentrated on that game so that we witness a great game!

There are banana peels in every league. Benfica had won 9 straight games in the league and a slip was inevitable. Estoril played well, didn't park the bus, attacked, and are full marks for the result. One thing is for sure, even if Benfica had won today, they would play their 100% full strength team against Porto on Saturday, so this result doesn't impact the Europa League game too much. As someone else said, the Portuguese league is a strange one with Porto and Benfica head and shoulders above the other teams it ends up coming down essentially to a one game play-off for the title. Benfica can still tie the Porto game and wrap it up for all intents and purposes. In the end Benfica is two games away from the end of the league season in first place, in the final of the Europa League, and in the final of the Portuguese Cup. We can win the treble or win nothing. Squeeky bum season for the Benfiquistas.

Chelsea's game on Wednesday is hugely important, let's hope Chelsea wrap up the CL spot and the Benfica/Chelsea final is played with both teams 100% concentrated on that game so that we witness a great game!

When is the Porto v Benfica game? Saturday or Sunday?

Seeing different sources stating different days!

What has happened to Braga and Sporting particularly? I thought Benfica, Porto, Braga & Sporting Lisbon formed this quartet to rule the league.

Cheers for the sportsmanship attitude. Let the best team win!

When is the Porto v Benfica game? Saturday or Sunday?

Seeing different sources stating different days!

The game is on Saturday, was changed a couple of weeks ago but Benfica's official site is shit. I haven't been there in ages but it's not surprising that they haven't updated that game info.

The game is on Saturday, was changed a couple of weeks ago but Benfica's official site is shit. I haven't been there in ages but it's not surprising that they haven't updated that game info.

Alright. Just also saw it being confirmed by a Benfica fella on Twitter. Thanks. :D

What has happened to Braga and Sporting particularly? I thought Benfica, Porto, Braga & Sporting Lisbon formed this quartet to rule the league.

Cheers for the sportsmanship attitude. Let the best team win!

Sporting's had a lot of boardroom issues in the last few years. I'm not too familiar with all of it but basically the finances are a shambles. Their academy is great and they sold so many great players for good money but somehow they have no cash anymore to the point they were behind on wages and had to sell players to make payroll. It sucks because we need that strong 3rd team in the league but they are drifting further and further. Braga is a great story and they've had a good run these last few years. They've had an off-season relatively speaking but I see them coming back strong. In reality they are a Europa League level team that got a taste of the CL but still a solid team that will be relevant for the next while for sure. Bottom line is that Benfica and Porto are to the Portuguese league what Real Madrid and Barcelona are to the Spanish League. Occasionally there will be some new contenders challenging but in the end it's going to be those two winning titles for the foreseeable future.

Hi All,

Got comfirmation this morning from Thomas Cook that I have a place on the Coach to Amsterdam.

Was wondering if anyone in the Maidenhead/Slough Area is going on the coach and wants to share a Taxi to Earls Court in the early hours

PM if interest and we can talk over the phone

Amsterdam here we Come!!!

If we win this game we'll make more money than any other English team made from Europe this season including the Champions League :D

1: Chelsea - €40.9M
2. M.United - €39.3m
3. Arsenal - €34.5M
4. M.City- €32.4m.

Last season we got €59.9m for winning the Champions League, which really, isn't all that much more I believe to a club like us. Good for us :getin:

Will there be any organisation for a mosaic or again we will wave the flags.I'm sure Benfica fans will do something interesting as the Bayern fans last summer.I really hope our fans get remembered with something in this match.

If we win this game we'll make more money than any other English team made from Europe this season including the Champions League :D

2. M.United - €39.3m
3. Arsenal - €34.5M
4. M.City- €32.4m.

Last season we got €59.9m for winning the Champions League, which really, isn't all that much more I believe to a club like us. Good for us :getin:

But how is that possible? Do you have a link where there is a breakdown of our income?

i'm worried about their diving, they're good at it and not afraid to use it

couple that with the tendency of referees giving penalties against us in the EL and it could be trouble

It's true that we have a couple of good actors, no disagreement, and I hate it. Unfortunately it is a part of the game in Portugal more so than in England but both leagues have divers/cheaters. I'll try to keep my red colored glasses off and call a dive a dive if and when it happens, but I hope the blue glasses stay off as well and call a foul a foul without resorting to the default "diving cunts". Sound good?

2. M.United - €39.3m
3. Arsenal - €34.5M
4. M.City- €32.4m.

I guess the Europa League isn't that hellhole where our team and fans were punished by having to compete? A worthy title?

It's true that we have a couple of good actors, no disagreement, and I hate it. Unfortunately it is a part of the game in Portugal more so than in England but both leagues have divers/cheaters. I'll try to keep my red colored glasses off and call a dive a dive if and when it happens, but I hope the blue glasses stay off as well and call a foul a foul without resorting to the default "diving cunts". Sound good?

Portugal has more diving than England? if you say so

but in England there are some world class divers around too: Bale, Suarez, Young, Welbeck, yes even some Chelsea go down too easy for my liking :ph34r:

but Spain are really a bunch apart, they have mastered it

i really hate the fact that it's part of football now

but anyway about the EL final, i won't be surprised at all if we get a soft penalty against us, we've gotten one in each round so far, even 2 against Rubin Kazan

I don't see us keeping a clean sheet here.. Sorry but Cardozo has a deadly left foot and his finishing is terrific. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get on the score sheet. I reckon its gonna be one of those games where we have to out-score them

I don't see us keeping a clean sheet here.. Sorry but Cardozo has a deadly left foot and his finishing is terrific. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get on the score sheet. I reckon its gonna be one of those games where we have to out-score them

Cardozo Gaitan and Aimar are all pretty good players.

We will need to play really good and if their defense is weak (I dont know if it is) than have Hazard dribbling a lot and opening up spaces, tearing their defense down.