IS RDM the man to take CFC Forward?

Muzchap

RDM  

173 members have voted

1. 1. IS RDM the man to take CFC Forward?

Its not the 3 or 4 up front I'm worried about. Its the rest of the team. Push them higher up the ground. We should be killing possession figures with this team. We look like Barca when we have the ball up front among the three amigos, but the problem is they don't have it enough. Push the team higher and give them more chances.

I mean we got beat out by Shaktar and Liverpool for possession on our home ground. That speaks volumes especially considering how much better our players are, and the fact that we're built for high possession football with the team we have. Robbie has no sense of urgency in winning the ball back high up the ground, and it shows since we are the worst pressing team I've seen.

1."The point being that everything good takes time." - It does take time but if not worked upon it, will never happen anyway.

2."We have been vastly improving in terms of attractive football" - Is that because of RDM or only because we forked quite some sum for attacking prospects.

I like your example but when the new car can go up to 150 and u never drive north of 75, how are u supposed to experience the real power of it.

As Thor said RDM "hasn't got a clue what to do with all this attacking prowess." - simple and dead right.

First off, we both agree that the 3/4 front has had an immense impact already. Good. That's one thing we agree on. I too agree on us being suited for possession football, but one question remains. If we are in a period of transition, like I've already mentioned an endless amount of times, and results AND play in general is affected by just that? Is it not something we should be working at? Do you think it's something RDM is noticing and is trying to implement? Bare in mind that we have NEVER been a possession team, and to change this overnight is virtually impossible. We have had the majority of possession against smaller teams like Norwich and even Newcastle. That's a two game conclusion, just like you made. Does it change our target to be one of the top European teams in terms of slim, sexy and attractive football, that we are occasionally beat in possession against a team like Shaktar, which by the way is a very good team that has played together for a long time? No, it doesn't. We still are in a phase of development, and will be so for the season coming.

Again, if you want to sack RDM, you must have an issue regarding his management and tactical deployments. Please inform me of those so we have something concrete that you want changed, what precisely the problem is and how you or Pep would solve it.

Please explain it to me so we actually have something to discuss rather than briefly criticizing RDMs performances based on two games.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, we both agree that the 3/4 front has had an immense impact already. Good. That's one thing we agree on. I too agree on us being suited for possession football, but one question remains. If we are in a period of transition, like I've already mentioned an endless amount of times, and results AND play in general is affected by just that? Is it not something we should be working at? Do you think it's something RDM is noticing and is trying to implement? Bare in mind that we have NEVER been a possession team, and to change this overnight is virtually impossible. We have had the majority of possession against smaller teams like Norwich and even Newcastle. That's a two game conclusion, just like you made. Does it change our target to be one of the top European teams in terms of slim, sexy and attractive football, that we are occasionally beat in possession against a team like Shaktar, which by the way is a very good team that has played together for a long time? No, it doesn't. We still are in a phase of development, and will be so for the season coming.

Again, if you want to sack RDM, you must have an issue regarding his management and tactical deployments. Please inform me of those so we have something concrete that you want changed, what precisely the problem is and how you or Pep would solve it.

Please explain it to me so we actually have something to discuss rather than briefly criticizing RDMs performances based on two games.

Just look yesterday's game, Liverpool were never a possession team aswell and have got far worse players, yet the had 57%.The thing is you think RDM is transitioning us into a possession team, while I think he isn't doing anything at all.

Its not the 3 or 4 up front I'm worried about. Its the rest of the team. Push them higher up the ground. We should be killing possession figures with this team. We look like Barca when we have the ball up front among the three amigos, but the problem is they don't have it enough. Push the team higher and give them more chances.

I mean we got beat out by Shaktar and Liverpool for possession on our home ground. That speaks volumes especially considering how much better our players are, and the fact that we're built for high possession football with the team we have. Robbie has no sense of urgency in winning the ball back high up the ground, and it shows since we are the worst pressing team I've seen.

Nobody should bash RDM till he has a complete squad.

To be fair on him, the manchester clubs have one thing we lack in our team. Abundance of strikers. And a dm that is a very good foward passer.(Scholes, toure)

People who can come in and rescue the team with small motivation from the manager.

Until we sign falcao, cavani or lewandoski then I can reserve my bashing a little.

The minor problems RDM has are

1. He doesn't try to make a substitution early enough to impact the game before its too late.

2. He doesn't attempt new things so that he can fix obvious problems(torres). Maybe trying moses who doesn't lose the ball upfront instead of torres won't hurt us.

3. The way we play doesn't look like we practice movement in training but it looks like we just wait for our playmakers to do magic. This affects us when the playmakers have an average day and we don't have anyone(drogba) to turn up to bail us out.

He takes time to realise his errors like the ramires in the wing so maybe some more time and he will fix it.

Just look yesterday's game, Liverpool were never a possession team aswell and have got far worse players, yet the had 57%.The thing is you think RDM is transitioning us into a possession team, while I think he isn't doing anything at all.

Yes that seems to be the big difference between us. And while I try to backup my statements, you simply bash RDM and wants his replacement ASAP. Don't think that I don't understand what you're saying. I just don't understand why you're saying it. You want Pep, fine. But at least back it up instead of merely slating RDM. Where were you against Arsenal when we had 65% on Emirates in the first 30-40 minutes and absolutely bossed them up until their goal? We have been playing some very slick football this season, and when it doesn't turn out to work as planned, you are always on RDM's back. Try staying positive instead of ALWAYS focusing on the negatives.

FFS! Are people really making such a big fuss out of the possession stats from yesterday's game?! Does it really matter if Liverpool ended up having more possession than us? We had a game plan yesterday and that was to let them have the ball and try to hit them on the break by harrassing them off the ball which it worked. We created tons of chances but just couldn't finish it! And for all the possession Liverpool had, did they really create any clear cut chances? No. Nothing at all! Had we won the game, would you really be complaining about the stats?! To just assume that RDM setup defensively yesterday by looking at the possession stats is just pathetic and beyond idiotic! It's like some people just have nothing better to do and are finding stupid excuses to have a go at RDM.

FFS! Are people really making such a big fuss out of the possession stats from yesterday's game?! Does it really matter if Liverpool ended up having more possession than us? We had a game plan yesterday and that was to let them have the ball and try to hit them on the break by harrassing them off the ball which it worked. We created tons of chances but just couldn't finish it! And for all the possession Liverpool had, did they really create any clear cut chances? No. Nothing at all! Had we won the game, would you really be complaining about the stats?! To just assume that RDM setup defensively yesterday by looking at the possession stats is just pathetic and beyond idiotic! It's like some people just have nothing better to do and are finding stupid excuses to have a go at RDM.

Yeah definitely, we were the better team and it was the failure to take the chances that cost us the game. RDM could be seen at fault for not changing things earlier which is my biggest problem with him atm, as he leaves it til after something happens. But if torres, or mata take their chances we win.

Talking about Guardiola's last project, yes it was indeed a resounding success. But bare in mind that he can't possibly take all the credit for what Barcelona has become. Look at them! They keep performing without him as a manager. They did so before he was a manager. Does the name Rijkaard ring any bells?

Barcelona were a mess in the last season of Rijkaard, they were 3rd 10 points behind now relegated Villareal and 20 behind Champions Madrid and went into a Champions League semi final overwhelming underdogs, something that would never have happened under Pep.

Pep did so much for Barca as his time as manager, he may not have promoted Iniesta, Xavi and Messi but he took them up a few levels to what they are today, can you honestly say you saw Iniesta and Xavi as world class and Messi as potentially better than Maradona back in 2008?

The myth that Pep fell lucky is boring and untrue, don't get me wrong i want us to stick with RDM but Pep is an absolute genius who doesn't get half the credit he deserves because of some boring little myth.

The only problem I see with RDM is he plays percentages. Not a bad thing but at the level Chelsea are playing at this will only get us so far. His substitutions are beyond predictable, and it takes very little for other managers to know what he will do. He reacted far too late after Liverpool made their changes and started getting back into the match. He he made his decision 10 minutes earlier I don't think they would have scored. If Pep came next year I certainly would not be disappointed.

"During December 2010 and January 2011, the club had a period of poor form, winning only one of ten matches. The majority of fans were still loyal to Di Matteo, but after a 0–3 defeat to Manchester City on 5 February 2011, he was relieved of his duties with immediate effect,[12] and first-team coach Michael Appleton was appointed caretaker manager.[13] West Bromwich finished the season in eleventh position."

Saw that on Wikipedia...

Really hope they don't write that line for his CFC career... Just hope he learnt from his days @ WBA and realises how to turn things around and quickly - we just need some more confidence and attacking prowess - MATA OSCAR & HAZARD all operate WAY TOO NARROW sometimes - yesterdays comments, you could throw a blanket over them rang true for me - we need to be more disciplined and use a higher temp to slice open defences, keep the defenders on the back foot.

I agree the Striker should be assisting in this - if we do continue to play Torres - he should make MORE fucking RUNS into the BOX to pull defenders and create space... Where's Torres - oh he's on the FUCKING WING AGAIN...

So RDM needs to sort that SHIT out ASAP - play more disciplined up front and use our advantages - not just hang around the D in the 'DITHER' zone - failing to shoot, trying one more complicated pass that doesn't pay off..

These are professional footballers - they should be able to hit the target (at least force a save) 8/10 efforts. We really need to work on this attacking (with the ball) positioning to best exploit the teams defence, we also need to work on our off-the-ball positioning...

Come on RDM + EN - YOU can DO THIS! Just take a few more risks!

Let's get back to winning ways ASAP! :)

Barcelona were a mess in the last season of Rijkaard, they were 3rd 10 points behind now relegated Villareal and 20 behind Champions Madrid and went into a Champions League semi final overwhelming underdogs, something that would never have happened under Pep.

Pep did so much for Barca as his time as manager, he may not have promoted Iniesta, Xavi and Messi but he took them up a few levels to what they are today, can you honestly say you saw Iniesta and Xavi as world class and Messi as potentially better than Maradona back in 2008?

The myth that Pep fell lucky is boring and untrue, don't get me wrong i want us to stick with RDM but Pep is an absolute genius who doesn't get half the credit he deserves because of some boring little myth.

Don't tell me that what Rijkaard did for Barcelona wasn't close to what Pep did.

For Rijkaard, the team he inherited, with the exception of new superstar signing Ronaldinho (who was the club's second choice after Beckham), also consisted of many underachieving players from the old guard and era that failed to meet the club and its fans' demands to match arch rival Real Madrid's success in the early 2000s (decade), having not won a trophy since 1999.

Rijkaard had a disappointing start at Barcelona that saw some sections of the club's fans call for his resignation, and he drew flak from the media when the team lost to Real Madrid in December 2003. Rijkaard's resilience won through and from 2004 onwards, he achieved a massive turnaround, as the team went from strength to strength. Barcelona finished runners-up in La Liga in 2003–04, having been close to the relegation zone at one point in the earlier stages of the season. Rijkaard then took Barcelona to the next level as he phased out the old guard and rebuilt a new-look side around Ronaldinho, with new players like Deco, Samuel Eto'o, Rafael Márquez and Ludovic Giuly, along with the latest promotion of some young players from the previous era trained in the club's youth teams (i.e. Víctor Valdés, Carles Puyol, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta). He eventually succeeded in turning around the fortunes of the club, with the strong support of Laporta, and within the next couple of years finally managed to win La Liga both in 2004–05 and in 2005–06.

He became the first Barcelona coach to have won twice at Real Madrid's stadium Santiago Bernabéu, an achievement which even successful managers like Johan Cruijff, Louis van Gaal and Luis Aragonés were unable to accomplish. His no nonsense policy on and off the field, and the sparkling football played by his team, won him many plaudits and Rijkaard was among the five nominated coaches for UEFA's Team of the Year 2005. On 8 March 2006 he was also honoured by UEFA for his contributions to the European Cup Competition throughout his career as player and manager.

Rijkaard also achieved success on the European stage winning the 2005–06 Champions League with a 2–1 win against Arsenal in the final. Barcelona had been losing 1–0 for most of the match before his late tactical substitutions proved the decisive factor, as the introduction of Henrik Larsson and Juliano Belletti contributed directly to Barcelona's two goals.

He did some serious work to Barcelona, and began the reshape of their team, which Pep later carried on. So, yes I am claiming that Pep can't take all the credit himself for what Barcelona has become today. Say what you want, but even my fellow Barcelona fanatic mates agree with me on this matter, and that's got to count for something.

Look, I'm not trying to speak any less of Pep. Nor am I jumping on the praising bandwagon like many tend to do. I support our current manager since I don't see a problem in the way he is running the club, and I second his decisions. If he so happens to become a Chelsea manager at some point, then be it. I will support him, because I love the club, but I may not agree with his strategies or tactical deployments. You may feel otherwise, and of course you are entitled to that. And even though you might disagree with the tactics of Di Matteo, which to some extent I do too, I am giving more than a measly 10-20 games to prove himself. Stability and consistency don't seem be our strongest sides, eh. But giving Pep all the credit is just as wrong as giving Rijkaard or Johan Cruijff the majority of praise since they have all taken part in the revolution.

But if Pep comes in and we are unable to play they way he wanted like Barcalona did etc and results dont change or go our way be a waste really

He just seems to lack confidence to upset players and make changes.And the main issue is we are unable to score and make the most of chances because we have players such as Torres for whatever reason are unable to.Maybe he just feels all he needs is one goal and back to how he was beginning of the season..or higher power etc or he just has crazy faith I duno.I hope we can make use of the January window or gana become a major issue going into the second half of the season

But 3 points behind the leaders in Novemeber not so bad at this moment...long as the gap doesnt become daft we're ok

Our team looks so tired...We didnt play more than ManC or ManU or Barca, Bayern,...we have enough backup players...yet we look like we already played 50 matches. Because of tired players, they cant concentrate and play only on 50%.

That is main reason why we were so more effective in august/september than in october/november.

Striker and CM should come definately in january or RDM will go, because he wont handle PL and CL with this team only...

And yes POSSESSION is very important because if you have 60% of possession, you are much less tired than if you have to chase the ball all the time.

Don't tell me that what Rijkaard did for Barcelona wasn't close to what Pep did.

For Rijkaard, the team he inherited, with the exception of new superstar signing Ronaldinho (who was the club's second choice after Beckham), also consisted of many underachieving players from the old guard and era that failed to meet the club and its fans' demands to match arch rival Real Madrid's success in the early 2000s (decade), having not won a trophy since 1999.

Rijkaard had a disappointing start at Barcelona that saw some sections of the club's fans call for his resignation, and he drew flak from the media when the team lost to Real Madrid in December 2003. Rijkaard's resilience won through and from 2004 onwards, he achieved a massive turnaround, as the team went from strength to strength. Barcelona finished runners-up in La Liga in 2003–04, having been close to the relegation zone at one point in the earlier stages of the season. Rijkaard then took Barcelona to the next level as he phased out the old guard and rebuilt a new-look side around Ronaldinho, with new players like Deco, Samuel Eto'o, Rafael Márquez and Ludovic Giuly, along with the latest promotion of some young players from the previous era trained in the club's youth teams (i.e. Víctor Valdés, Carles Puyol, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta). He eventually succeeded in turning around the fortunes of the club, with the strong support of Laporta, and within the next couple of years finally managed to win La Liga both in 2004–05 and in 2005–06.

He became the first Barcelona coach to have won twice at Real Madrid's stadium Santiago Bernabéu, an achievement which even successful managers like Johan Cruijff, Louis van Gaal and Luis Aragonés were unable to accomplish. His no nonsense policy on and off the field, and the sparkling football played by his team, won him many plaudits and Rijkaard was among the five nominated coaches for UEFA's Team of the Year 2005. On 8 March 2006 he was also honoured by UEFA for his contributions to the European Cup Competition throughout his career as player and manager.

Rijkaard also achieved success on the European stage winning the 2005–06 Champions League with a 2–1 win against Arsenal in the final. Barcelona had been losing 1–0 for most of the match before his late tactical substitutions proved the decisive factor, as the introduction of Henrik Larsson and Juliano Belletti contributed directly to Barcelona's two goals.

He did some serious work to Barcelona, and began the reshape of their team, which Pep later carried on. So, yes I am claiming that Pep can't take all the credit himself for what Barcelona has become today. Say what you want, but even my fellow Barcelona fanatic mates agree with me on this matter, and that's got to count for something.

Look, I'm not trying to speak any less of Pep. Nor am I jumping on the praising bandwagon like many tend to do. I support our current manager since I don't see a problem in the way he is running the club, and I second his decisions. If he so happens to become a Chelsea manager at some point, then be it. I will support him, because I love the club, but I may not agree with his strategies or tactical deployments. You may feel otherwise, and of course you are entitled to that. And even though you might disagree with the tactics of Di Matteo, which to some extent I do too, I am giving more than a measly 10-20 games to prove himself. Stability and consistency don't seem be our strongest sides, eh. But giving Pep all the credit is just as wrong as giving Rijkaard or Johan Cruijff the majority of praise since they have all taken part in the revolution.

I wasn't saying the Dutchman doesn't deserve any credit, he does, i would actually say his teams from 04-06 were more exciting than the Barca side today.

Does Pep deserve all the credit for Barca's success and philosophy? no, does he deserve all the credit for their success under his management? 100% Rijkaard had his success in his spell (bar the last season) that he deserves the utmost praise for but he had nothing to do with the dynasty Pep built.

When Pep took over Messi was a young talent but any comparison's to Maradona where laughed off. Iniesta and Xavi were class midfielder's but not to the level they are today infact both were on the bench in the 2006 CL final. The reason there thought off so highly is for one reason Pep's management.

I wasn't saying the Dutchman doesn't deserve any credit, he does, i would actually say his teams from 04-06 were more exciting than the Barca side today.

Does Pep deserve all the credit for Barca's success and philosophy? no, does he deserve all the credit for their success under his management? 100% Rijkaard had his success in his spell (bar the last season) that he deserves the utmost praise for but he had nothing to do with the dynasty Pep built.

When Pep took over Messi was a young talent but any comparison's to Maradona where laughed off. Iniesta and Xavi were class midfielder's but not to the level they are today infact both were on the bench in the 2006 CL final. The reason there thought off so highly is for one reason Pep's management.

We are not that far from each other after all ;)

Of course Pep has earned loads of credit, and rightly so, but many people consider him the sole reason for the success of Barcelona, without actually knowing what went on before him. Rijkaard made Ronaldinho the icon that still exists in the memories of the most and also spotted the talents of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi. One could argue whether or not Pep is the only one to credit regarding the development of the earlier mentioned, but you have to consider natural individual development too. But Pep indeed has been a good motivator, but the key discussion point in this topic is whether or not he would do better than RDM, and in that case what he would do differently than our current manager. And I don't think he'd do much of a difference, because eventually they both seem to lust for the same football style, and we are certainly moving toward the slick football at the moment.

just changed my vote from "yes" to "early to say" because there is somethin wrong when a coach continously starts a player playing horribly even when he has an option. and the only explanation i can come up with is to protect the blonde bitch's feelings so tht makes it doubly bad.