César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

I completely understand what you're saying. It's not a transition for everyone. But you can learn how to defend even at relatively late age. Some possess that natural knack already, that aggression and ability to react quickly.

I agree with those saying he did well when he played there. But personally I need to see more of him there, especially when facing real resistance, before drawing conclusions.

Yeah course.

Like again going back to my op, we'll have Baba, Aké (if he is called back) and Azpilicueta as our LBs. Cesar does count as both to be fair, and if Aina comes through then we'll have 3 RBs too.

Let's see what subsequent managers think, because if it's working in training and they see him there in the future then Mou will deserve a good amount of credit for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2016 at 6:56 PM, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

How many players have been forced to wear masks since like 2012? 

Off the top of my head: Ba, Torres, Cech, Matic, Cesc, Cahill, and now Azpi (again!)

The curse is upon us! 

Paulo Ferreira. But he's actually a superhero.

26 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Off the top of my head since Guus has come in, Cesar has scored once, had two shots saved by Dea Gea and Hennesy respectively, assisted Rubens goal and created two chances yesterday (Cesc backheel saved by Howard and Diego miskick I think, might be wrong on which ones but I'm sure he set up two chances).

In 5 games that a good record for a left back who's supposedly shit at attacking, if Baba came in for 5 games and did half of that his thread would explode about how great it is to finally have a left back who can attack.

His lack of attacking was more down to instructions than any lack of ability on his behalf, I'm not saying he's Marcelo or Alaba but he's nowhere near as bad going forward as General opinion suggests.

5 minutes ago, Styles said:

I don't know, man. Baines put on a masterclass yesterday and it was clear to see what a top class attacking LB contributes. We're so stunted by having Azpi on the left and Ivan in the team.

Agreed. He has done very well offensively wise in recent matches however you only have to look at the likes of what Baines did yesterday and what Bellerin did against Sunderland in the FA Cup against Sunderland the other day to see how much we are missing by not having two natural attacking full backs in their correct positions. Had Baines been fit earlier on, Lukaku would have a lot more goals and likewise had we had a Baines/Coleman combo, Costa would have scored a lot more goals.

10 minutes ago, Styles said:

I don't know, man. Baines put on a masterclass yesterday and it was clear to see what a top class attacking LB contributes. We're so stunted by having Azpi on the left and Ivan in the team.

Fair enough, he's no Baines going forward you won't have any arguments from me there i just believe he's better than given credit for, sometimes in a defensive position, say just by the half way line, he has a tendency to pass back to Terry/Cahill/Zouma when a forward pass was better, but in the final 3rd I don't think he's too bad, as the games under Guus have shown.

Ivan is a problem however, and I won't be against seeing Cesar back on the right for a dynamic left back to be signed and come in that side or maybe try Kenedy there (Baba isn't the answer in my opinion, at least not right now) but equally if it's a new RB we sign and ditch Ivan, I won't be too upset to see Azpi continue as left back either.

On 17 January 2016 at 3:44 PM, Tomo said:

Off the top of my head since Guus has come in, Cesar has scored once, had two shots saved by Dea Gea and Hennesy respectively, assisted Rubens goal and created two chances yesterday (Cesc backheel saved by Howard and Diego miskick I think, might be wrong on which ones but I'm sure he set up two chances).

In 5 games that a good record for a left back who's supposedly shit at attacking, if Baba came in for 5 games and did half of that his thread would explode about how great it is to finally have a left back who can attack.

His lack of attacking was more down to instructions than any lack of ability on his behalf, I'm not saying he's Marcelo or Alaba but he's nowhere near as bad going forward as General opinion suggests.

Fully agreed. I think he'd be even better in his natural position.