Chelsea vs Atletico Madrid

Kieran.

Mentioned this in the Newcastle game thread; the last 9 UEFA Super Cup winners have been alternated between Champions League winners and UEFA Cup/Europa League winners and the last team to win it is Barcelona, the 2011 Champions League winner. Time to rewrite the record books...

Desperately want us to win this. A win here would maintain our recent momentum and good run while the opposite result would be a setback and we'll have to wait 2 weeks before being able to get back to winning ways.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple maths. Champions League + Super Cup > Champions League. Must win. Starting early with a trophy will be great for the atmosphere within the team.

Atletico are dangerous. They have a match tonight against Bilbao, and I expect them to draw. But come on, they won their Super Cup 2 years ago, now it'our turn.

I don't think Moses, Azpi and Oscar will start, but I hope they get involved and start with a trophy.

Btw what's with the subs? Is it 3 per team or more?

Btw what's with the subs? Is it 3 per team or more?

Match rules

• 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra time if necessary.
  • Penalty shoot-out if scores still level.
  • Seven named substitutes.
  • Maximum of three substitutions.

most likely will be the same line up from the Newcastle game.

I would like to see a Sturridge Torres Moses attacking line up in the near future. with Hazard behind torres. give mata a rest. that'll be a really nice wide attacking line up. but i doubt it'll happen this friday.

Would be nice to win. and going by FM, its a nice little finacial reward as well ;)

Well we won the Super Cup in '98 against Real Madrid so let's win it again against the other Madrid. This will be a tough game because Atletico have some dangerous players but we really should win. We beat em 4-0 a couple of seasons ago and drew 2-2 away in a game we had in the bag tbh. I know Atletico are slightly better than then (even tho they had Aguero and Forlan up front!) but they're still not our level. It would be great for JT, Ash, Lamps, Cech and any other long servant (Shame bout DD) to get another trophy for their collection. It's a big game because the whole of Europe will be watching and it sends out a statement. It's also huge as the players i mentioned above haven't won it before. It's the only European trophy missing for them.

Atletico won it in 2010, they've had their time. Now it's our time :D

Di Matteo - It is not a friendly

DailyMail

'We are happy we are going into the Super Cup final with three wins and everybody fit and hopefully we can win another international trophy for this football club,' the Italian said.

'(I will take it) very seriously. It is not a friendly. It is a European trophy that we want to win. (I will) not be resting people.'

Frank Lampard, who had a three-minute cameo on Saturday, is likely to return to the starting line-up having been given a rest by Di Matteo after a busy start to the new season.

'He played in the Community Shield, he went with England and played and then played against Wigan and Reading,' Di Matteo said of the 34-year-old midfielder.

'He is a very important player to us but, like I said, I utilised the squad. I had a fresher player that played (on Saturday) and this is important that we do utilise everybody because we played three games in six days.'

Di Matteo also confirmed David Luiz will be available after the Brazil defender needed a bandage on a head wound following a clash with Demba Ba towards the end of Saturday's game.

New signings Cesar Azpilicueta and Victor Moses, who were unveiled at Stamford Bridge before the start of the Newcastle game, will also be part of the squad for Friday's match.

I'm really looking forward to this game. With 3 wins from 3 in the Prem, an early season trophy will really keep the confidence flowing going into the international break. I would expect to see Robbie keep quite a settled side again for this one. The Carling Cup starts next month, along with a couple of decent looking home fixtures in the league which will allow him the chance to blood the likes of Oscar, Moses and Azpilicueta easier.

Cech

Ivanovic

David Luiz

Cahill

A Cole

Mikel

Lampard

Mata

Hazard

Bertrand

Torres

At the moment whilst we are still trying to gain the right balance between attacking and defending, Robbie's decision to play a more naturally defensive winger is clever and clearly helping us gain results. Eventually we may strike the right balance which allows three more offensively minded options behind the striker, but until then I expect Robbie to continue with this.

I think Ramires will start, but I would pick Bertrand. Simply because of form. I think that Bertrand offers similar defensively qualities to Ramires, and excellent pace and work rate, and at this moment he has started the season better, and is looking more comfortable playing a quick passing game alongside Hazard and Mata. I thought he was excellent against Newcastle and deserves to retain his place.

I'm not confident about this game.

I get the feeling Falcao will get a late winner.

With that said though, Atletico aren't quite used to their new system yet.

They've lost Diego (who they had on loan last season), their playmaking attacking midfielder, and instead now have Emre, a deep-lying playmaker.

Turan is also starting to be used more central, and he doesn't look as comfortable as he did as an out-and-out winger.

They don't have much depth in defence, but they have Courtois behind the back 4, who, as we all should know by now, is superb.

They have a pretty crap right hand side to be honest in terms of technical ability, so they're usually quite defensive down that side. I don't see us getting much joy if Bertrand starts on the left.

Would like to see:

Cech

Ivanovic Cahill Luiz Cole

Meireles Mikel

Moses Mata Hazard

Torres

Subs: Turnbull, Bertrand, Azpilicueta, Ramires, Lampard, Sturridge, Oscar

But i'd totally understand if Robbie goes with Lampard and Ramires in there instead of Meireles and Moses