Javier Hernandez

Stats

Agree. There is value in that, but you need your top striker to do more than score in massacres against poor squads.When Berbatov led the Premier League in goals, he had scored 10 goals in 3 games against Blackpool and Birmingham. He's a decent striker, but he's a better fit for a Europa League or mid-table sort of team. (And he's 31 so could easily be declining as well.)

But do we really need another 24-26 year old striker? What happens to Lukaka development? Betbatov offers us a couple of years of football at a reasonable price plus he is proven in PL.

He is technical good, links up well with midfield and is good with his back to goal. Would certainly help in what is going to be a transitional year for us. Plus he would be cheap.

Man, im begginibg to convince myself.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But do we really need another 24-26 year old striker? What happens to Lukaka development? Betbatov offers us a couple of years of football at a reasonable price plus he is proven in PL.

He is technical good, links up well with midfield and is good with his back to goal. Would certainly help in what is going to be a transitional year for us. Plus he would be cheap.

I agree I would be very happy if we sign Berbatov! He would be a very good option to have on the bench.

I wouldn't mind if we got him, I just don't see the upside. I'd rather Sturridge be given a shot there as our #2 striker. For me, we can either go for a long-term #1 striker like Cavani or we should go for a #3 striker to provide nothing more than injury cover but we don't want to develop. Berbatov is not really good enough to be a #1 if Torres flops again but is good enough to take playing time away from Sturridge. I'm not worried about Lukaku's development at all. If he plays well elsewhere, he will get a chance at Chelsea. Quite frankly, if he ever makes it Chelsea, I don't think it will be for at least a couple of years,. He has a lot of work to do. Much more concerned with Sturridge. Would love to see him start about 20-25 games this season, come in and sub in many others to give a real idea of what he can do as our striker. Sturridge's scoring rate as a forward (at Bolton and under AVB) in the last two seasons has been fantastic: 17 goals in 33 games.

As good as Berbatov is, he can be an extremely moody player, similar to Anelka. When he's not on his game, he basically offers nothing upfront. And there is a reason why Fergie never trusts him in the big games. Even when he won the Golden Boot two seasons ago, most of his goals came in bulk and against average oppositions like Blackburn and Birmingham.

You just described something we were definitely lacking last season. We had Drogba who only turned up when it really mattered and Torres who didn't even turn up at all. A player like Berbatov would have been perfect for us then and he would have done the job when no one else bothered and Didier would have have been there to take care of the big occasions like he did. With Drogba now gone, I'm not sure if that's what we need anymore.

You just described something we were definitely lacking last season. We had Drogba who only turned up when it really mattered and Torres who didn't even turn up at all. A player like Berbatov would have been perfect for us then and he would have done the job when no one else bothered and Didier would have have been there to take care of the big occasions like he did. With Drogba now gone, I'm not sure if that's what we need anymore.

How sure are you that Berbatov can do a job for us when we can't even be sure that he will turn up in every game? Furthermore, as if our slow attacks aren't slow enough already, don't think we need him to slow it down even more with his languid and lazy style of play.

I wouldn't mind if we got him, I just don't see the upside. I'd rather Sturridge be given a shot there as our #2 striker. For me, we can either go for a long-term #1 striker like Cavani or we should go for a #3 striker to provide nothing more than injury cover but we don't want to develop. Berbatov is not really good enough to be a #1 if Torres flops again but is good enough to take playing time away from Sturridge. I'm not worried about Lukaku's development at all. If he plays well elsewhere, he will get a chance at Chelsea. Quite frankly, if he ever makes it Chelsea, I don't think it will be for at least a couple of years,. He has a lot of work to do. Much more concerned with Sturridge. Would love to see him start about 20-25 games this season, come in and sub in many others to give a real idea of what he can do as our striker. Sturridge's scoring rate as a forward (at Bolton and under AVB) in the last two seasons has been fantastic: 17 goals in 33 games.

Okay I see your logic. I believe Sturridge can step up this year but I'm a little concerned about cover. One injury to either him or Torres and we are in a really awkward position. Not sure who else is out there to provide us with squad depth. Even if Hulk were to sign he is not the answer. Defoe anyone?

Okay I see your logic. I believe Sturridge can step up this year but I'm a little concerned about cover. One injury to either him or Torres and we are in a really awkward position. Not sure who else is out there to provide us with squad depth. Even if Hulk were to sign he is not the answer. Defoe anyone?

Dealing with Levy again? No thanks! And besides, they won't be selling Defoe when he is their only striker at the moment.

It's a very tough situation because we have two strikers both of whom could be very good or very bad. If Torres and Sturridge are both good, you don't need anyone more than a body who can play some minutes in case of injury. If they are poor, then you need someone who can step up and play regularly. I thought that maybe we should have taken back Odemwingie from WBA. He can actually score, but he's 31 so not really part of their future and if he didn't play for us much, we wouldn't be stifling any development, but if we needed him he could start... and it would also open up more time for Lukaku!

How sure are you that Berbatov can do a job for us when we can't even be sure that he will turn up in every game? Furthermore, as if our slow attacks aren't slow enough already, don't think we need him to slow it down even more with his languid and lazy style of play.

What I meant was that Berbatov could have won us points all by himself by scoring a bucketload of goald against those shit teams like Wigan, Norwich, Fulham who we struggled against last season. Drogba was a beast, but only against the big teams and Torres was the same old Nando we've got to know in the last year and a half and didn't score against anyone.

But like I said, I'm not sure if a player like Berbatov is what we need anymore. All depends on how Torres does but right now that's a wild card and anything can happen. If we're buying a new striker, then maybe he should be another top class striker who is capable to be the main man in case Torres fails us and Berbatov isn't that.

What I meant was that Berbatov could have won us points all by himself by scoring a bucketload of goald against those shit teams like Wigan, Norwich, Fulham who we struggled against last season. Drogba was a beast, but only against the big teams and Torres was the same old Nando we've got to know in the last year and a half and didn't score against anyone.

Yeah but as I said, how can we be sure he will even turn up for those games? If he doesn't, then his personal style of play is not going to be any difference to what we went through last season with your point on Drogba and Torres above.

Yeah but as I said, how can we be sure he will even turn up for those games? If he doesn't, then his personal style of play is not going to be any difference to what we went through last season with your point on Drogba and Torres above.

How can we ever be sure of anything? That's right, we can't, but in hindsight I can say I would've loved to have a player like Berbatov for last season. Of course we all thought that Drogba, Torres, Sturridge and Lukaku was already more than enough but wouldn't you say that it didn't quite work out the way we planned when our two first choice strikers scored less than 15 goals in the league combined?

Anyway, this discussion is now getting a bit pointless because despite me thinking he would have been of some use to us last season, none of us really wanted Berbatov last year and I already agreed with you that I wouldn't want him now and if we are going to buy another striker it's going to have to be someone better than Dimitar.

Woah, people you do realise that RDM is trying to make us play like Spain, right? That means we need a poacher. Sturridge couldn't finish his dinner and Torres is about as consistent as the British summer weather. Cheese Dorito is the type of option we need.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You