Oscar

themightyblue

Honestly, I appreciate his work rate and his tracking back and what have you, but to my mind, for someone in his position, all of that should be an add-on to creativity, incisive passing, dribbling and finishing instead of being his primary attributes. I'm looking for him to be 'silky' and 'nimble' more than 'tenacious'. I get that nobody gets a pass from the tactical side of the game under Mourinho, but he's not much good to Chelsea as the no.10 when he doesn't hurt teams going forward.

TBH, I think Oscar thinks about the team first and foremost, which is why he allows Paulinho to bomb forward and neymar and hulk to do most of the 1v1 stuff.

He stays back and knows his role/job for the better of brazil, not better of Oscar.

Think he's been instructed to sacrifice his attacking instincts by Scolari. He wants Neymar and Hulk to run much of the show. Under Menezes Oscar was truly fantastic. He enjoyed much more freedom and consequently gave far better, effective, rounded performances consistently.

Your probably right. I thought the same as well.

Both neymar and hulk don't do much defensively (well neymar presses a lot still).

However, if brazil wins, than I guess it was the best option for brazil....

Yes Oscar has defensive responsibilities but that shouldn't justify being completely useless from an offensive point of view. He very rarely makes the right decision in the opposition half it seems. Very disappointing.

But how is a 22 yr old, who is still very much developing, ever going to improve on his offensive abilities when he's being overloaded with defensive responsibilities (at both club and national level)? If he's going to improve as a player then he needs to be on the ball all the time. He needs to be given freedom to get into dangerous positions and free to play risky passes.

Think Oscar is in real danger of stagnating.

Have to say that he's been a massive disappointment in this tournament.

He was playing much deeper today and was pretty much invisible. Can't recall him getting involved in the attack more than one or two times. It was pretty obvious that it was a tactical instruction from Scolari but even when he was more advanced in the prior matches he hasn't done much.

He needs a long, long rest after the WC. Mata was rested for a long while at the start of the season in his second year with us, wasn't he? That's what Oscar needs. Use Cesc as the #10 and sit Oscar for a couple of weeks.

He was one of brasils better players today. To some Oscar may lack creativity, vision, flare but definitely not me because I've seen him give world class passes and score world class goals at his still young age. He is into the semi finals of a world cup as a starter for the brasil national team at age 22(Beat that). Clearly scolari knows what oscar brings to his team. Even Neymar has been shit against chile and columbia infact he was about the worst brasilian player on the pitch for me and it just shows how tough it is when neymar is struggling. Oscar adapts to any situation it seems. Pogba, james rodriguez and Co. Who some chelsea fans wish for because of their percieved flare are out, flare has little or no use at this stage when central defenders are scoring the goals unless its a master stroke. I wish him a successful journey and I hope he becomes a world cup winner at 22. Its just like luiz now luiz is no more in chelsea people are saying he is the best defender in the world while when in chelsea he was shit. Oscar along with neymar will be among the youngest starters or first team players in the semifinals(RESPECT).

Good game by Oscar. Produced some good quick flicks too (in addition to the defensive play mentioned above).

With Neymar's injury, now it's all on Oscar. All good to me because Oscar is better than Neymar... there I've said it.

Honestly, I appreciate his work rate and his tracking back and what have you, but to my mind, for someone in his position, all of that should be an add-on to creativity, incisive passing, dribbling and finishing instead of being his primary attributes. I'm looking for him to be 'silky' and 'nimble' more than 'tenacious'. I get that nobody gets a pass from the tactical side of the game under Mourinho, but he's not much good to Chelsea as the no.10 when he doesn't hurt teams going forward.

Absolutely spot on here. But some people will have us believe he's not limited and make all manner of excuses in a bid to explain/justify his mediocre offensive output.