Eden Hazard

the wes

Could Hazard perform now if he returns ?
My Greek experiences with failed big money transfers who returned is rather negative:

Sideris: The legendary Olympiakos Piraeus striker went to Belgium in 1969. Did nothing there, returned to Olympiakos in 1971. But now he was useless - just made it in a couple of friendlies.
Anastopoulos: Another legendary Olympiakos Piraeus striker who moved to Italy in 1986. He and his team failed, returned to Olympiakos but no good anymore.
Tsiartas: The midfield general of AEK Athens of the 90s. Went to Sevilla in 1996, returned, was just as good as before for three-four more years. But Tsiartas was good in Sevilla too.

What is your experience of similar situations ?

Edited by cosmicway

If we didn't have Lukaku, I'd say there's no harm trying to get him back on loan and seeing what he has left, because it isn't just injuries but it looks like the life and enjoyment has been completely sucked out of him over there.

But you couldn't accommodate for Hazard and Lukaku in the same team because you'll end up in a similar situation to United being unable to pressure and retrieve the ball high up the pitch.

I look forward to hearing from Hazard at the end of his career to find out if moving to Madrid in hindsight was a mistake in his opinion when he was literally made for life here.

I think if the opportunity came up for him to return he'd be on the first flight to London.

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Reportedly Newcastle now pushing to sign him...

Really hope he does not go there for his reputation sake but am not afraid. He is rapidly ageing and has not been up to speed for ages. a return to the PL would be rough for him

He would be daft to go to Newcastle. Absolutely insane.

I mean honestly imagine Hazard being coached by Eddie Howe and trying to play little cute 1-2’s with Chris Wood. It would be ridiculous. Plus he’d end up playing in the championship next year.

I think a return to Lille at some point may be his best course of action because he is nowhere near the standsrd for Madrid or us.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I mean honestly imagine Hazard being coached by Eddie Howe and trying to play little cute 1-2’s with Chris Wood. It would be ridiculous. Plus he’d end up playing in the championship next year.

I would imagine any 'big' player going there would want to include a relegation release clause in their contract

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Reportedly Newcastle now pushing to sign him...

Really hope he does not go there for his reputation sake but am not afraid. He is rapidly ageing and has not been up to speed for ages. a return to the PL would be rough for him

Return to PL to be in a relegation threatened team would be rough. Hope he factors that into his decision making. I mean, Madrid can't force him to move to a club if he doesn't want to, right.?

At least he here he would have a good support structure to compensate for deficiency.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, milka said:

when will we have such a trio again

What ultimately let the trio down, was that neither Hazard nor Mata offered much in the defensive phase.

If we had better central midfielders at the time (Kante) we could have got away with it.  The best we had then was an aging Obi Mikel and Ramires (who was more of a no.8)

5 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

What ultimately let the trio down, was that neither Hazard nor Mata offered much in the defensive phase.

If we had better central midfielders at the time (Kante) we could have got away with it.  The best we had then was an aging Obi Mikel and Ramires (who was more of a no.8)

Add the fact both David Luiz and Cahill were utterly lost without John Terry. That team would've needed prime Kante alongside a proper DM in the mold of Fabinho for that to have worked. 

Kante Fabinho

Oscar Mata Hazard

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Add the fact both David Luiz and Cahill were utterly lost without John Terry. That team would've needed prime Kante alongside a proper DM in the mold of Fabinho for that to have worked. 

Kante Fabinho

Oscar Mata Hazard

It has some makings of a Klopp team. Wonder how Klopp would have used that front 3.

I'm sure he would have turned Oscar into a pressing machine. Not sure how much he could have got from Hazard or Mata, though 

Looking at Mata's numbers and that he was a player of the season for Chelsea in two consecutive seasons, I still feel pain that we let him to United .

Everyone is talking about Eden, but Mata was no less special to watch. 

32 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

We can thank Mourinho for that. 

He got rid of prime Mata, KDB and Salah in the space of a year. 

Salah was still a Chelsea player when Conte joined, so even though Mourinho let him leave on loan, Conte sealed his departure. 

3 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Salah was still a Chelsea player when Conte joined, so even though Mourinho let him leave on loan, Conte sealed his departure.

I'm only speaking from memory and even then memory of newspaper reports but, didn't Salah refuse to come back when it was being considered?

9 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm only speaking from memory and even then memory of newspaper reports but, didn't Salah refuse to come back when it was being considered?

That's the first time I've heard that, so can't comment either way.