Eden Hazard

the wes

On 28/11/2022 at 08:50, Blue Armour said:

I agree on current form KDB is superior, without a doubt. 

But not good enough to carry their team IMO., the way Hazard used to, or how Modric carried Croatia. Let's see if they'll do better than what Belgium did in 2018 going all the way to the semi finals.

Actually, tbh I've never really considered Eden to be a player who could "carry" a team, like control the game and pull strings. That's what KDB does and few players in the world can do (not counting Lionel, Modric being another).

I've always seen Eden as a more individualist performer; he was once good enough that a team could (and did) play to his strengths as we heard from many players that Eden was given a free role (esp regarding to defensive tasks). He was a fantastic dribbler and one who perhaps held to the ball a bit too long at times. Who never really delivered strong performances in CL for example.

The current Belgium team isn't a contender and it's not entirely down to Eden or KDB, but both disarray and the number of absolute passengers in the team these days. Even Lukaku is already clearly less of the player he used to be (esp physically...he was pacy once).

I have to say that Eden's current form does not surprise me once bit (wrote so that he'd have trouble in Madrid) as I never thought he was that good. His dedication was severely lacking esp in the final seasons at Chelsea (showing up fat from vacation is not cool). He was just missing certain things that make the very top footballers what they are. IMO, Eden lacked ambition, the killer instinct, dedication (on and off the pitch), and aggression, which limited both his impact (in CL for ex) and his longevity.

2 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Broke his ankle in 2020 which then led to a wide array of other chronic issues. 

Lets be honest he’s never looked after himself seriously and based on numerous reports/interviews, never took training as seriously as probably 2/3’s of the players in that sort of bracket he was in prior to his move to Madrid. The sort of just below the best in the world grouping. And in this day and age it was always going to catch him up. Particularly fitness. 

‘I’ll miss you’: Belgium’s Eden Hazard retires from international football

The 31-year-old forward did not score in three group games
‘A page turns today... Thank you for your love’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/07/belgium-eden-hazard-retires-from-international-football-real-madrid

2949.jpg?width=620&quality=45&dpr=2&s=none

Eden Hazard has announced his international retirement in the wake of Belgium’s group stage exit from the World Cup in Qatar. The 31-year-old revealed the decision on his social media account less than a week after his side were eliminated following a goalless draw with Croatia.

Hazard, who made his Belgium debut as a 17-year-old in 2008, wrote: “A page turns today... thank you for your love. Thank you for your unparalleled support. Thank you for all this happiness shared since 2008. I have decided to put an end to my international career. The succession is ready. I will miss you.”

The Real Madrid winger earned 126 international caps, scoring 33 goals and captaining his country 56 times. However, he played in a minor role during the World Cup campaign, playing an hour in the win against Canada and the defeat by Morocco, coming on for the final three minutes and added time in the match against Croatia.

Hazard made 245 appearances for Chelsea between 2012 and 2019, helping the Stamford Bridge club to two Premier League titles and two Europa League wins.

His Belgium teammate Kevin De Bruyne tweeted: “What a journey it has been. Congratulations, Capi. You’ll be missed!”

16 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Lets be honest he’s never looked after himself seriously and based on numerous reports/interviews, never took training as seriously as probably 2/3’s of the players in that sort of bracket he was in prior to his move to Madrid. The sort of just below the best in the world grouping. And in this day and age it was always going to catch him up. Particularly fitness. 

I agree with his work ethic, but sustaining an injury where a metal plate had to be surgically installed in your fibula which resulted in you actually needing to run differently to prevent pain, which then in turn led to other muscular imbalances considering you are now utilizing your body differently, can kill anyone's chance to return to their peak self. 

Hazard's work ethic is one thing but saying he has no excuse to return to his peak self when having an injury that genuinely kills your ability, is another. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I agree with his work ethic, but sustaining an injury where a metal plate had to be surgically installed in your fibula which resulted in you actually needing to run differently to prevent pain, which then in turn led to other muscular imbalances considering you are now utilizing your body differently, can kill anyone's chance to return to their peak self. 

Hazard's work ethic is one thing but saying he has no excuse to return to his peak self when having an injury that genuinely kills your ability, is another. 

Yeah, the ankle injury vs PSG was/is quite nasty. That was the real turning point, because his start in Real was quite reasonable, not bad at all imo. He was settling in and learning to play in the team, with some good performances in it.

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I can agree with that. On the other hand, he was already struggling before the injury.

and I’m going to make a speculative comment, fully aware of it, but his physique, or lack thereof, makes him more injury prone.

I think the same of Neymar for ex. The way he plays and his physique make him injury prone as well: holds to the ball, is small and frail, and not pacey enough to avoid contact.

Just now, robsblubot said:

I can agree with that. On the other hand, he was already struggling before the injury.

and I’m going to make a speculative comment, fully aware of it, but his physique, or lack thereof, makes him more injury prone.

I think the same of Neymar for ex. The way he plays and his physique make him injury prone as well: holds to the ball, is small and frail, and not pacey enough to avoid contact.

He wasn't struggling before the PSG game imo. He was still settling in and growing quite good until then.

11 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Are you referring to his 1st season at Madrid, or the last one at Chelsea?

I think he was more than solid in his last season (under Sarri). Easily our best attacking outlet, and not just in terms of numbers. He also had quality individual goals against Liverpool and West Ham. Seemed like he was peaking then.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, HEREIAM said:

https://mediafoot.net/arsenal-a-pris-contact-avec-le-real-madrid-info-media-foot/

Sorry it's in french

but basically Arsenal are thinking about making a bid for Hazard, surely he won't even think about it

He wouldn't even get a game for Arsenal. Hes past it. I mean the likes of Martinelli, Saka and Smith Rowe who can even play out wide, are better players.

He only has himself to blame for how his careers gone, he had the chance to be a genuine world class player ie in the top 3 or 5 players for a prolonged period of time but he never truly looked after himself well or pushed himself to that next level. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

He wouldn't even get a game for Arsenal. Hes past it.

I don't see any value for Arsenal in taking him now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madrid and Hazard come to an agreement in the summer to cancel his contract and he moved back to Lille to start winding down his career.

Just now, Superblue said:

I don't see any value for Arsenal in taking him now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madrid and Hazard come to an agreement in the summer to cancel his contract and he moved back to Lille to start winding down his career.

Probably. His last few years are going to wind up being mediocre. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Probably. His last few years are going to wind up being mediocre. 

It'll either be that or go to America or the Middle East for a payday.

I'm glad the decline didn't happen here to be honest. I don't like the way players like Ivanovic and Azpi were/are talked about at times by Chelsea fans because they're past their best despite the incredible service given to the club.

Given he's one of the most naturally gifted players to ever play for the club, it would have been brutal if the same happened to him here.

• 6 months later...